S&T Topographic Moon Globe

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

This is one of my favorite globes! Just look at it -- I love how at a glance you can appreciate the varied depths and heights of the lunar features...you really ought to get one! :grin:
---Maya

Attached Files

#2 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

I did! :D
The South Pole - Aitkin basin jumps right out at you, doesn't it?

#3 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

:grin: Glad you got one too, Rick! Yep, it's incredible! This globe is my favorite. I hope one day there will be a Titan globe. Wasn't there a topo globe for Mars??? Maybe I'm wrong, but I've got the first version of the S&T Mars globe. A topo version would be interesting too.

#4 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

There was a topo Mars globe for several years. Finally they cleared them out for $59. I brain-farted and didn't get one, and I'm still kicking myself!

Rumor has it there will be a Mercury globe in the not too distant future, too. Hopefully, a topo version too, to go with it.
A Titan globe would be awesome, and, needless to say, would suck still more pazoozas out of my rapidly thinning wallet.

And, have you checked out the Venus globe?

#5 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

$59 was sure a great deal on those topo Mars globes! Geez, I wish I had been on the ball and noticed that before they disappeared. :foreheadslap:

I'm very interested in the new Mercury globes to be produced...and that Venus globe is calling to me too. :crazy:
I think I'm going to need to figure out some better way to display these, I'm running out of room! :grin:

#6 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

The topo Mars view is *extremely* useful when you study the planet. At the time, I was only interested in what I could see; but things developed and the globe would now be invaluable.
But: S&T has the Mars Topo map on sale for $10 (or did, a few weeks ago), and that's a decent second choice. It's a great map, and quite large. If you're interested, you might think about snagging one before they disappear, too.

I hear you about space for globes. I need to do some serious shuffling of stuff to come up with some room!

#7 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the S&T topo Mars map, I'll look into that as I'm appreciating the topo version of this moon globe a great deal. It helps to study features with more of a 3-D visualization than just the photos provide and written measurements, as good as they are, in atlases.

I've got 3 globes in the observatory right now and the topo moon in the house where I'm really enjoying it a lot. I kind of wish there were versions of these globes at 2/3 scale also(then I'd want some of Jupiter's moons too!) and some way to hang them from the ceiling but also able to quickly take each down for close study at times...

I've got it -- I need to live in a planetarium. :lol:

#8 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

(then I'd want some of Jupiter's moons too!)

Ahh, jeez, now I want those too! :foreheadslap:

#9 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

They would make an amazing and useful collection! :grin:

Well, I found and ordered the Mars topo map over at S&T....and got to looking at the Venus globe again....ah well, I couldn't resist it anymore and ordered it too. Hope it arrives in good condition! :fingerscrossed: :grin:

#10 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:19 AM

Is there a 12-step program for people like us?

#11 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:47 AM

Sorry Rick, but alas theres only 9 planets...so you could design a nine step program.....but only if you really want too. :roflmao:

#12 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Andy has a point (hey, but what about a Pluto globe??? Alas, it's been demoted off planet status :bawling: ), and there's that pesky problem of having to want a cure...

Well, it's just not going happen here, my astro-addiction is ingrained from childhood! I don't want a cure! :ubetcha:
:lol:

#13 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Sorry Rick, but alas theres only 9 planets...so you could design a nine step program.....but only if you really want too. :roflmao:

You're forgetting Ceres, Eris, and Makemake.

Back to 12!
(Oh no, a Ceres globe...)

#14 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Dear Sky & Telescope,

I have been very good this year, so I'm asking that you please create new planetary and moon globes.

Sincerely,
Crow Haven

#15 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

I am an enabler. After you get your globes start collecting models of the satellites that visited them? Should keep you busy!

#16 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

Then, action figures of the project scientists!

#17 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:39 AM

Sorry Rick, but alas theres only 9 planets

Maybe so, but there are many more planet-sized objects. What's wrong with Ganymede or Callisto? Io could keep you happy forever, since its surface is constantly changing.

#18 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

I am an enabler. After you get your globes start collecting models of the satellites that visited them? Should keep you busy!

--------------------
Clear skies - Jim

Cool!! Enable away! :grin: I'd probably have to construct my own model versions, but that could be fun too.

Then, action figures of the project scientists!

--------------------
- Rick

Well, why not!? Collect them all! :lol:

What's wrong with Ganymede or Callisto? Io could keep you happy forever, since its surface is constantly changing.

--------------------
Tony Flanders

Ooooo Io! Wow, that would be an incredible globe for a collection! :ubetcha: :grin: My wish list is growing... :grin:

#19 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

Io could keep you happy forever, since its surface is constantly changing.

Ooooo Io! Wow, that would be an incredible globe for a collection! :ubetcha: :grin:

For total verisimilitude, this globe will scald you if you try to pick it up. And it will smell like rotten eggs.

#20 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

For total verisimilitude, this globe will scald you if you try to pick it up. And it will smell like rotten eggs.

Perfect! :lol: Does it come with a clothespin? :hmmmm: :idea: This shouldn't be too much of a problem using the proper handling tools with the observatory roof rolled back...and might provide vermin-repelling properties to boot!

#21 swalker

swalker

Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

Actually, there are only 8 ;)

#22 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

I just received an email that they all just went on sale 15% off ?! That is what I call timing :)

#23 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

Time to go globe-shopping! :lol:

Pluto's sad fate is entertainingly related in a book entitled, "How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming" by Eris discoverer/astronomer Mike Brown. :grin: Grab a copy!

#24 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

I just received an email that they all just went on sale 15% off ?! That is what I call timing :)

If you buy one, you'll be supporting the global economy. :lol:

#25 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

Figures! :mad:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics