• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aatt

aatt

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Contrary to legend, there were no clouds the night my back ordered ES11mm arrived and for the past two nights I stayed up almost to dawn. I used the ES 11mm and my widefield-except for Saturn (9mm UO ortho and 6mm Sterling Plossl)for two nights in a row. Seeing was limited to 211X for anything consistently popping. I have an F5 15" and it was very apparent that this E.P had very little distortion (no paracorr-yet...) almost to the very edge. Its' off-axis performance is also very very good. Clarity and contrast are exceptionally good too. I looked at M51, M101,Leo triplets,3626, 3606, 3898, M109, 3982, M108, 4036-and friends,3949, 2903,M81/82 and others. Galaxies really stand out in this ep.Dust lanes, stellarings, outer edges of the halos (and on couple of them) spiral arms. I was delighted at how much easier it was too see these details over my standard issue plossls. Owl nebula and 4361 were lovely -eyes and N/s "bar and star" were all clearly evident. M13, M92, M53, M3 and M10 were well framed, bright and big with the 3D effect of peering into their cores at the forefront....lovely lovely. Mizar, Algeiba, Izar and Gamma Hercules were all split, but seeing was poor.Saturn was wonderful, in spite of seeing issues, it had great detail apparent in the rings, great coloration in the central bands with a whirling eddy right off center.When it boiled in the turbulent air some narrow color fringing showed up. My 9mm UO ortho had a slight edge in contrast over this E.P if that is helpful to anyone, but the widefield made prolonged observation of this target a real breeze. Overall, this E.P. was very easy to track things with, galaxies stand out with good contrast(and planetaries too), nicely framed all DSO's, had great performance on Saturn and double stars also stood out from the background better than my modified Kellners and various Plossls. A real keeper of an E.P. and I think that although a Nagler might edge this one out a little, it is an outstanding value.I really don't have anything bad to say about this eyepiece.VEry good performer. Unfortunately, I think I am going to have to get the 6.7mm whenever that becomes available.

#2 sopticals

sopticals

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

Great report. The ES82 series of oculars are a breakthrough in terms of affordability, for those of us that have to work within strict budgetary restrains.

Stephen.(44deg.S.)

#3 Rick M.

Rick M.

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Good to know. I have both the 14mm. and the 30mm. in the ES82 series on back order and am itching to have them arrive so I can put them to work.

Rick

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics