•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Building equipment over time

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kargan

kargan

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

I have some freed up cash I can justify spending on my astrophotography hobby this year and am looking for some advice on which direction I should go. I can easily justify $1500-$2000. If I were to spend more I would need to see an extreme increase in capability to pull it off this year and not feel guilty. My splurge option could go as high as $4000.

Here is what I have at home: Meade LX90 GPS fork mounted alt-az, and a Meade DSI II Pro CCD camera. I also have a Canon T2i that I use for regular photography that I have never tried with astrophotography. I have been snapping images with this setup for a few years and have had some success on DSOs using many exposures stacked around 10-15s each. I live in Phoenix, so weather is a bonus.

Anything I buy I want it as future-proof as possible, meaning I won't regret underpaying for something I could dropped a few extra bucks on with larger capability and expansion ability.

Here is my thought: I definitely need a real mount. I am leaning toward the CGEM for ease of alignment and overall carrying capacity vs price. I might go for the DX for future-proofing where I could see either a larger OTA or a piggybacked 80mm at some point. I know a DX with my current 8" lx90 will require a dovetail and either an 11lb or 17lb losmandy counterweight as the included 22lb with the DX will not balance with the smaller 8" scope.

I am thinking that puts me in a place where my 8" could pull a minute or more frames and I could go deeper than ever. I am definitely a DSO junky. The DX would then allow me to expand to mount a 80mm, guider, etc at some point without further investment.

My 'splurge' option might be getting the $4000 C11 DX edgeHD which gives me a ton more aperture, gives me the cgem DX, etc, and maybe I can resell my lx90.

My main love is galaxies, nebulae and other DSOs. Very open to thoughts on my options here. I have looked at APOs but I have never used one and am not sure I can afford one with enough aperture to capture DSOs along with a proper mount.

Thanks for reading!

Rick

#2 Herr Ointment

Herr Ointment

Cosmos

• Loc: North of 64

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

IMO the only thing future-proof is the grave. Just a thought. Buy and enjoy!

#3 RogerRZ

RogerRZ

Whatta you lookin' at?

• Loc: West Collette, NB, Canada

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Don't overlook an Orion Atlas either. Coupled with Eqmod, they make a powerful pair...

#4 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

used CGE. Probably the best mount you can buy for $2000.

#5 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

Here ya go...

This is a Meade 8" SCT on an Atlas EQ-G mount with EQMOD (fantabulous!), and Orion off-axis guider, DSI Pro III guide camera (your Pro II with a low profile faceplate from ScopeStuff will work fine), and a stock Canon T2i. This has proven to be an absolutely wonderful imaging system. If you don't want to de-fork your LX90 (I wouldn't) there's an 8" SCT w/ dovetail in Shop'n Swap right now for $350.

Just a thought...

Attached Files

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics