Edmund Scientific Space Conqueror

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:17 AM

Picked up for modest $$(and still probably too much) one of these that has been sitting neglected in a basement for 25 years.

It looks it:tube outside well rust-spotted,definitely must sand and repaint.. Debating colors: a creamy white similar to original ,or light green or blue,or bright red like later ones.

Mirror had thick layer of crud so gave it warm bath,and then pure alcohol and tissue treatment.Surprisingly bright with some pinholes,scratches, and a few small uncoated spots.

Diagonal is prism with front-surface coating,single-stalk.

12.5 OR 1.25" ocular in focuser.(also dirty).

Finder (6x) optics filthy but better now.Crosshair gone.

A few sheets of sensible instructions including one for the Herschel wedge (seller couldn't find the wedge).

Equatorial mount in good shape(not motorized)except new paint won't hurt!No tube clamp,just mounts by two bolts on the bottom of the tube.

#2 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Cool. Was it the 4 1/4 on the pedistal mount that was for sale up in West Chester (north Cincy) on C-list this weekend? I saw that and thought it was a great deal. My friend had one just like it when we were kids and it gave great views.

#3 BigC

BigC

Gemini

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Terra,

Yes. Seller said he got it from a friend long ago.Original owner is now a bigwig at NASA.Perhaps my expectations were too high but when I saw the crud-covered mirrors and the extensive rust spots I very nearly left without it.

It strikes me that this was a fairly popular and expensive 4" f10 reflector in its day.The $84 original price (from a CN review) was a LOT of money back then.But it is really a very basic design .Today a 3" f10 reflector is about the same in dollars but hardly a budget-buster for anyone.We really have it good today except for all the un-needed lights.

#4 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

I am so glad you got that scope BigC. I think its cool someone in our group got it. I thought about it when I saw it as perhaps getting it to put up for my grandson, but that would have meant I would have been storing it for ten years and it needs to be back out under the starlight. You will enjoy it for sure. My best friend got that scope for his birthday back in 1966, a month after I received my 60mm Mayflower refractor for my birthday. We spent a lot of time looking through our scopes back then and I remember it gave wonderful views of Saturn, double stars, the trapezium, etc. A year later we were off to different schools and I never looked through his scope again. I ran into him years later shortly after we had both graduated from college. I asked him about his telescope and he told me that he had sold it some years earlier.

I just looked in my pdf version of the mid 1960s Edmund Scientific catalog and it lists the scope (Deluxe Space Conquerer) at $79.50 including the pedestal eq. mount mount with setting circles, two 1 1/4 inch Kellner eyepieces (1 inch f.l. and 1/2 inch f.l.), a 2X barlow lens (I remember it was metal, black anodized, with a slip fit), a cardboard planisphere, and the paperback Edmund classic "How to Use Your Telescope" (I wound up with that book :) and still have it). I also remember that it had a very nice finder for the times.

#5 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

It has a good reputation optically. I have one now and had one back in 76. Congratulations on the find. You'll be delighted with its performance. Hopefully , everything is ok with its optics. G:cool:

#6 Masvingo

Masvingo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

A couple of nice pieces by Uncle Rod on his Palomar Jr aka Deluxe Space Conqueror:
Me and My Pal from Dec 2008
and
My Old Friend from May 2009.

James

#7 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

Glad to hear you got hold of that scope, it'll be a lot of fun to restore. If you decide to go with a white tube, try Krylon Ivory spray paint - it's a nice, slightly off-white. There's also several rust-stopping primers that are effective on those old tubes, it deactivates the rust and stops the metal from oxidizing further; automotive stores carry it.

That finder is most likely a 6x23mm, made for Edmund by Towa. If you need some really fine wire to replace the crosshairs, I've got plenty on hand; PM me and I'll send you some.

#8 refasali

refasali

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon & Washington

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Here's an example of what they looked like from the 50s.[mine] Your pier mount should prove a lot more stable. Congrats!

#9 John Higbee

John Higbee

Mariner 2

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

BigC - congratulations on a great find!

I bought mine from a friend in 1967... it was (and still is) optically superb. Spent many a great night observing from my backyard with the 4.25" on a pipe pier provided by my Dad.

You'll have fun overhauling it...and observing with it!

John

Attached Files

#10 BigC

BigC

Gemini

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

Wow. More responses than expected.

OK,I was in error...mistaken...,well wrong!Began sanding the rust and something wasn't right.But the appearance improved dramatically.Not finished,had to leave for work.

The tube is aluminum (tested with a magnet) and it wasn't rust but rust-color mold or fungus!!!! Still will need repainting because there are a number of small places where the paint is chipped to bare metal.

FIRST LIGHT at 1am. : Moon looks good in the 12.5 OR which is the only ocular in this deal.Brief look at stars in Leo and Corvus,they seem sharp.Mount action is smooth which is what decided me in getting it.Pedestal mount is also much less shaky than many tripods although I still kick the extensions.

Now that I know more about collimating,etc. and am no longer afraid to take these simpler scopes apart, it happens that there is a 6" Space Conqueror(a Goodwill buy of a couple years past) stored amongst my parts and projects that is going to get the same attention.And the 6" came with several Edscorp oculars with focal lengths marked in inches!Not sure if the 6" is f8 or f10 without measuring.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics