• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Driven1

Driven1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: N. Central PA near CSSP

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Been watching an LXD 75 Mount for the past 3 days. This puppy was already hypertuned and had the Warp Drive Belt system. Nobody bid on it at all in those 3 days. Figured I was Golden and would get it at a REALLY good price! As usual, in the very last seconds of the auction, 2 other bidders popped in and I lost it. :bangbangbang: In the end, it went for $480 plus shipping. Somebody's a happy camper but it isn't me. :nonono:

#2 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

The word "sniper" comes to mind!Oh, and "if you snooze ya loose"! :lol:

#3 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

The great thing about beating your head against the wall; It feels so good when you quit...

Tony

#4 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

What do they normally go for?

Tony

#5 Driven1

Driven1

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Depends on the mount. With this one already being Hypertuned and with the Warp Drive, it was probably easily worth double that $480.

I'll see you all after I get back from the ER to get my forehead patched up.

#6 palmer570

palmer570

Vostok 1

• Loc: Scranton, Pennsylvania

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

I personaly don't wait till the end to bid. I put what is the most I will pay and let the auto bidding do its job.

Whoever has the "highest bid reserve" is going to win whether you bid with days or seconds to go.

Just figure out what you max is and don't look till the bids over. The auto bidding will keep you on top till someone is willing to pay more.

You will always find ways to justify acouple more dollars to be top bid and before you know it you're paying alot more than you set out to.

#7 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

have you checked out the classifieds lately

http://www.cloudynig...ct=76333&sor...

#8 Driven1

Driven1

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

How is it possible I missed that! Thanks Dan!

#9 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

I personaly don't wait till the end to bid. I put what is the most I will pay and let the auto bidding do its job.

Whoever has the "highest bid reserve" is going to win whether you bid with days or seconds to go.

Just figure out what you max is and don't look till the bids over. The auto bidding will keep you on top till someone is willing to pay more.

You will always find ways to justify acouple more dollars to be top bid and before you know it you're paying alot more than you set out to.

good advise-many times I have wished that I listened to your wisdom
edj

#10 russell23

russell23

Skylab

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

Ebay is like that. I agree that you should know your maximum bid and just enter it before the very end - but at the same time I sometimes like to wait hoping that the price will stay low and if nobody is paying attention when the auction ends you might get a better price than if you put your max bid early and someone else drives the price to your maximum 4 days before the auction ends.

I have gotten some really good deals on ebay - so I think it is just the luck of the draw as to who notices an item during the time it is listed.

Dave

#11 kansas skies

kansas skies

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

I tired really fast of losing pretty much every auction I participated in, so I learned to snipe. So, now it's either buy it now or I snipe. Otherwise, I don't waste my time.

Bill

#12 bumm

bumm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

I snipe. I once put a 25 cent bid on something just to keep the dealer from pulling the auction, and later looked in to see that it had 6 bids... Someone put in 5 bids to beat my quarter and run it up to 30 cents. Nothing unfair or immoral with doing this, but since some people seem to set their value by what other people bid, I just don't leave them the time to do slowly run it up. I did get the item for 20 something dollars with my snipe at the end.
Marty

#13 ThreeD

ThreeD

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento suburbs

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

good advise-many times I have wished that I listened to your wisdom
edj

Actually the best advice is to do that but bid at the last moment. Bidding high early allows people to get emotional and try to outbid you thus jacking the price up. If you bid the most you are willing to pay at the last possible moment it doesn't give people the time to bid against you with their emotions. You just need to have the strength to determine that price ahead of time and stick to it when it comes time to place it.

There is nothing wrong with sniping like this -- you are simply using the rules to minimize the price you are paying.

#14 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

How 'bout being a sniper yourself! Wait till the last seconds....then, put in your maximum bid!!! :shrug:

#15 ThreeD

ThreeD

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento suburbs

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

How 'bout being a sniper yourself! Wait till the last seconds....then, put in your maximum bid!!! :shrug:

Isn't that what I said to do? I've been doing it for 16 years. The only auctions where I didn't do this were my first few -- ever since then I've always placed my first and only bid within 10 seconds of the auction close. To do anything else is almost ensuring you will pay more.

#16 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

To do anything else is almost ensuring you will pay more.

or someone else to pay more. :roflmao:

#17 steveyo

steveyo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Don't hate! Like others here say - snipe. There are even websites that snipe for you.

#18 Driven1

Driven1

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

Well, all has turned out well anyway. My SN 10 is gonna be happy. Purchased the mount that was advertised here. Thanks Dan! And, I guess, it's back to sniping concerning anything Ebay.

#19 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

no problemo.

#20 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Isn't that what I said to do? I've been doing it for 16 years. The only auctions where I didn't do this were my first few -- ever since then I've always placed my first and only bid within 10 seconds of the auction close. To do anything else is almost ensuring you will pay more.

Often the end time is when I have no computer access.Which may have saved me from bankruptcy!
Nevertheless, many astro items have been found there at reasonable prices.And I watch those with unreasonable go to wealthier bidders or languish.

#21 nine44

nine44

Mariner 2

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

The best auto snipe website I have found is BidNip.com. I enter the max amount I'm willing to spend and then tell it to bid 3 seconds before the close of the auction. Why would I put my max bid up on ebay and allow everyone else to 'nibble' at my bid until someone figures out how to get it for $0.01 more than I'm willing to pay? I don't babysit auctions anymore. And I don't get stressed about them, either.

#22 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

• Loc: Desert Hills, AZ

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

There's an LXD75 for $450 here locally. Oh and it also includes the AR5 refractor too!

Decided I want more aperture, but still is a good price!

#23 skinnyonce

skinnyonce

Vostok 1

• Loc: ohio

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

when I won my 10 foot TI dome it was by .99 cents ,,I always end my bids with .99 cents

#24 Kraus

Kraus

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

I'd rather pay double for a new item. New items come with warranties. Used stuff from e-Bay does not.

#25 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

Always enter the max your willing to pay, and never bid early.

NEVER!

If you do, then 3 days before the auction closes, some asshat will wonder in and proceed to bid over, and over $5 bucks at a time until he either drives your bid all the way up to the max you bid, or until he out bids you! Then the next person comes along and does it again.

Why let that happen? That only drives the selling price much higher and benefits the seller only.

Everyone should just bit there max the last 5 secs. Whoever was willing to offer the most then gets it.n That doesn't mean you always end up paying that max figure you know....

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics