Dynascope 8" equatorial

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MA_Skies

MA_Skies

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

I'm trying to help a mother of a friend who has an old 8" Dynascope reflector. She lives in Boulder, CO, and her husband has been gone a few years. The telescope should be well taken care of, but I don't know anything about the mount. My friend remembers her dad put something in the yard to put the telescope on, but she was pretty fuzzy on details. I'm guessing he sunk a sleeve for stable mounting. So I don't know if the normal tripod is still available with the telescope.

My friend mainly wants to help her mom reclaim a bit of space, but it won't be pulled out of storage without some motivation.

I would love to take this telescope, but I'm afraid that I have nowhere to use it.

Any general suggestions on valuation? Low and high end? Desirable features? I believe it's about a 1970, but I haven't seen it myself.

#2 Bonco

Bonco

Gemini

• Loc: Florida

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Well one way or another the telescope needs to be brought out for use. Likely it's the RV8 and in really great condition will be worth several hundred dollars. If its in bad shape and/or incomplete it won't be worth much. However it isn't worth anything to anybody deteriorating in storage. Many master restoration experts here on the forum would like to see what she has. The telescope needs to be put back into use if possible. Good luck, Bill

#3 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

I don't know what they are worth, but these were pretty good telescopes, and today would be a collector's item. Whether or not you could use the telescope depends on the condition of the optics and equatorial drive. Numerous people have refurbished telescopes of this vintage and I am sure some would be willing to advise you on how to refurbish the Dynascope.

#4 snork

snork

Messenger

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

Would love to see a picture of it.

#5 rguasto

rguasto

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

+1

#6 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

MA,

It might be a Dynascope8, it might be and RV-8. Criterion made both. It might just be a lone OTA without a mount, the mount might be there with no one knowing if it a bell pier and not recognized. The mirrors, mechanics, and even cosmetics will all weigh in.
Yes, I'm in Denver and I would be tickled to check it out.
Yes, I might quite possibly be interested in buying it.
Yes, I'd disclose the whole situation here, and I'd know what to report with pictures.
Yes, all you regulars would know what to expect in a report.
All the cards are down.

#7 MA_Skies

MA_Skies

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

I'm pretty sure it's in excellent condition, it was a prized possession, and the widow is reported to be a very organized keeper. It isn't the most accessible, thus the request for some idea of what it could be worth to help motivate moving it on to someone else who can use it.

Thanks for your help, I can't find very much on the web about the 8" from Dynascope. I did finde this page about the RV-6: http://www.company7....terion_rv6.html

Does anyone have some description of the difference between a Dynascope8 and an RV-8? The name Dynascope 8 was the starting point, but I didn't know there was a model of that name different than an RV-8.

With so little information, would a very good condition 8" 1970's equatorial ever get as high as $1000? I'm just trying to set bounds on expectations for myself (as a rank amatuer with one homemade dobsonian mount for my 4.5" garage-sale scope) as well as the owner.

I appreciate that so many of you are willing to share what you know.

Thanks,
-Mark

#8 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:36 AM

Hi Ma skies,

There is a movement a foot to ignore you here on cn. You asked the deal breaker for some 'what is it worth" I'm gonna pay for this ... giving out secrets but... I recently paid pretty happily $325 for a 1957 Criterion 6" scope. Being 8' might bring more. $1000 is unlikely, even for a complete kit.

Great scopes but a lot still out there,

#9 rguasto

rguasto

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:15 AM

http://www.philharri...net/crit_58.pdf

http://www.philharrington.net/rv8.jpg

#10 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

There is a movement a foot to ignore you here on cn.

Sorry, Strdst; that is not true, so don't you say it. There is no broad problem discussing prices with newcomers. The issue is solely one of the attitude and respect a newcomer displays. Yes, there has been a great deal of anger toward one-time visitors who cavalierly expect free appraisals from members who have devoted years to studying prices, solely for their own financial gain, with no intention of contributing to the community. That's disrespectful, thus the opposition. Those scoundrels should be referred to the auction sites. The current poster reports wanting to know a reasonable price to pay to compensate a widow for placing a beloved telescope back into use, an entirely different situation. This new member deserves our help, and should receive no hint of receiving other than a the traditional, enthusiastic welcome.

Sorry, new friend, to see you caught in issues that do not involve you. Found an 8" Criterion? Welcome! That hot-button scope should elicit pages and pages of advice and stories. I don't know much about these scopes myself, but will be following your progress and learning along with you.

<><><><><>

Edit: While I see it as appropriate to comment here about a misleading, if sardonic, suggestion that a newcomer might be unwelcome, I hope discussion of the merits of drive-bys will be confined to the thread currently devoted to that topic.

#11 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

Mark,

The Dynascope would be worth more than the RV.
Here is what you are up against: the Front Range market which covers from Colorado Springs to Ft. Collins.
I've picked up RV-6 for as little as $75 to up to about $150. A refurbished RV-6 with good optics, mechanics, and decent cosmetics will go for about $200 if it is complete with original accessories like the finder and at least one eyepiece. I'd sell one for $200 to $222 after I go through it. An RV-8 would bring more, but the Front Range market is large and I doubt you'd go much over $300 if even that.

The Dynascope is a step up from the RV. Pricing gets a little more sensative towards accessories and condition. The mount will be important. However, you are not going to get $1000 or even near that from a knowledgeable buyer in this area.
I have the Dynascope 10" already, a few RV-6, and an insane number of 8" scopes both GEM, dob, and CAT (about 12 at 8", close to that in 6", and a handfull of 10" too). What I don't have is an 8" Dynascope so that perks my interest because I'm a little nuts. However I'm a bargain hunter.

What I will do is look at what you have, and post all the info here. I can also help find things that might not get recognized as part of the scope, and tell you what else to look for later. I could get you a close idea of value for this area, then you'd have more input from the members here later. I really don't give a rooty tooty about buying it in terms of my help offered. I'd just do this to check it out and help. That's outreach and I do a ton of that. This morning I'm off to pick up some scope parts, and help another guy close by value what he has even though I have no interest in buying it. He has a Celetron/Vixen C4.5 and Orion XT8i OTA only. I already have a C4.5 to unload and sure don't need the Orion OTA.

The scope is going to have to be dug out to get a reasonable idea. I don't think you're getting around that. I doubt you could hit $500 for an 8" Dynascope unless it packs a surprise punch.

Let me know.

#12 greedyshark

greedyshark

Viking 1

• Loc: 3rd Rock

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

Mark,
Don't limit yourself to the "Front Range" market. Be prepared to ship (at the buyer's expense). If your scope's condition is excellent, you will get a higher price for both the Dynascope and RV models. I've seen excellent RV-8s go for $650.

Charles

#13 MA_Skies

MA_Skies

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

I appreciate the information about the potential price. That's very helpful. I hope to be able to arrange photos and I'll post them here.

Thank you very much for the descriptive links about Dynascope.

#14 Masvingo

Masvingo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

I hope to be able to arrange photos and I'll post them here.

Yes please! If there's one thing we like around here its pictures, plenty of pictures!

:photo:

#15 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

Pulling this string back up so MA can get a reference. This was recently posted in the Craigslist,Ebay... string.

http://www.ebay.com/...IAN-CLOCK-DR...

MA, see if you can get any one to take a gander of the scope to see if it might be this version. Sure, I could see this hitting the 500s but I would never initially expect and inquiry such as yours to hit this calibur of scope. Perhaps it is? You'll need the mount.

#16 MA_Skies

MA_Skies

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

I appreciate it. I don't know if I can hope for quality of that level, but that is certainly a magnificent scope. I'm still working on hearsay about the scope quality, so I'm looking forward to seeing it for myself and sharing pictures one of these days.

I don't know how fast I'll be able to see it, it may take a few weeks or so. I'm waiting on her prerogative.

#17 greedyshark

greedyshark

Viking 1

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

So...does this scope belong to one of our forum members?

Charles

#18 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

Beautiful! scope.. :drool5:

#19 greedyshark

greedyshark

Viking 1

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

So...does this scope belong to one of our forum members?

Seller ended the auction early...and I was going to bid. :bawling:

Charles

#20 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

such a nice scope. Hope it went to a good home. Less than the price of a Unitron 128. For such a capable scope. Much rarer and mostly handmade.
A really good deal even at $750

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics