• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

I was motivated after reading this forum to try sketching with a white pastel pencil on black paper. Does anyone have any tips on preventing smearing once the drawing is completed. Thanks in advance for the help.

Ken

#2 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

I use a matte fixative that I spay on to the sketch that keeps them from smearing. Here is one example:

Link

#3 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:51 AM

Thank You Jay,

Clear Skies

Ken

#4 JeanB

JeanB

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

Be careful though not to spray to close of your sketch as it will fade away all the luminosity of your pastel and ruin your work. It is preferable to spray with a couple of light sprays (after allowing each layer to dry) than to spray a heavy load right away.

Jean

#5 maroubra_boy

maroubra_boy

Vendor - Gondwana Telescopes

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

Ken, I agree with Jean - many very light sprays with plenty of drying time between each. As it goes on wet, going too heavy will kill the softest details, which is very easy to do and doesn't take much.

You can use a dedicated fixative, or hair spray as I do. Hair spray is nothing more than a glorified varnish.

You need to go very light with which ever spray you use. Hold the can well off the page & do a brisk stroke across the page. It will just be a mist that goes on, and the temptation is strong to go over it again - RESIST!!! Do a few practice strokes every time too. This will clear the nozzle & help to get your eye in on the necessary distance and timing.

Even with the lightest of mists you sometimes notice a change in the sketches appearance. You can always do little touch ups to help correct this & respray. Few things are as deflating as killing a soft pastel sketch as by drowning it in spray , :ohmy:

Alex.

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

Ken,

All above is great advice and it really works well.
I have only destroyed one sketch by using a fixitave too close to a pastel sketch. I never get closer than one meter and do this outdoor if possible.

Frank :)

#7 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Thank You all for the advice. I am just getting started. I did a sketch of the Orion nebula and ended up with a little too much nebulosity from handling the paper.

Clear Skies

Ken

#8 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

Frank and Jean,
Your galleries are amazing. Great work.

Ken

Cloudy Nights LLC