• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Centaur

Centaur

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

During the evening of 2013 MAR 19, the Sun, Europa, Jupiter, Io & Ganymede will all be in a straight line in 3-dimensional space. Five celestial bodies! As viewed from Earth between 19:57 and 21:07 CDT, Europa’s shadow will be transiting Jupiter’s disk, while Io and Ganymede are eclipsed by Jupiter’s shadow after emerging from occultations behind Jupiter.

My timetable and preview graphics for the event can be seen at www.CurtRenz.com/jupiter

Photos and descriptions of the event would be welcome additions to this thread.

#2 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

interesting zyzygy. will try to catch it. love your site btw. you do great work with your skymaps

#3 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:38 AM

Thanks Curt. Will try for it if it stops snowing. Appreciate all the data you provide.

#4 Centaur

Centaur

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

interesting zyzygy. will try to catch it. love your site btw. you do great work with your skymaps

Thanks Curt. Will try for it if it stops snowing. Appreciate all the data you provide.

Glad you're appreciative, buddyjesus & nervanix.

Interestingly, the occultation of Ganymede by Jupiter will completely end at 17:03 CDT. Then for two and a half hours Ganymede will be shining brightly until it begins entering eclipse in Jupiter’s shadow at 19:32 CDT. Io, however, will emerge from occultation at 19:56 CDT, while already eclipsed.

#5 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

I was at the ASH Naylor Observatory last night to catch another peak of Comet PanSTARRS. Afterwards, I observed Jupiter but the seeing was so bad that I was unable to see the transit of Europa's shadow that was underway. I kept the magnification relatively low (118, 144, and 162x) and stopped the 17" classical Cassegrain that I was using down to 12" with an aperture mask but was still unable to detect the shadow. I did catch Io coming out of eclipse, however.

I stayed until Ganymede reemerged from eclipse. At that time, clouds began to roll in rather rapidly. By the time I was almost home, a brief snow flurry began.

http://www.astrohbg....vatory_Tour.htm

Dave Mitsky

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics