Photo

Any fans of the Webb Deep-Sky Society pubs here?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Well, I guess the subject line says it all. I don't see them mentioned here often. Anyone have the Colour Star Atlas? or The Brightest Planetary Nebulae Observing Atlas - 2nd Edition ?

#2 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

I've got the set of 8 observing guides. None of the others, though.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

I liked 'em a lot back in the day. Now? Still have a lot of good info, but with so many other sources...not so much. I was confronted with the whole series for an excellent price in Powell's Books when I was up there a while back to give a talk to the Rose City Astronomers. My first inclination was to snatch 'em up and head for the checkout. But then I started browsing, and what I thought was so indepth back in the 90s was, yeah, that infamous Not So Much. I put 'em back on the shelf. :(

#4 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

My local library has them available for in library use. I have been meaning to look at them. I have no experience with series.

#5 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

The Webb books are nice, but once I got the Night Sky Observer's Guide, I stopped using them and eventually sold them off.

#6 skyquest25

skyquest25

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: United States

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:16 AM

I agree, back in the '90s these were the pubs of their time ! But the day turned into night and a new day arose.

#7 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

I have a number of their observing guides but rarely use them.

Rich (RLTYS)

#8 blb

blb

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

I liked 'em a lot back in the day. Now? Still have a lot of good info, but with so many other sources...not so much. ... what I thought was so indepth back in the 90s was, yeah, that infamous Not So Much.

How true! but I still love looking at the sketches of each object that is shown. Those help me know what I can expect to see when I look at the object. So I still look at them for a reference when looking for information on an object.

#9 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

And they're so bright and colorful on the shelf. Sort of brightens up the bookcase a bit.

#10 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

I have been a member of the Webb Society for years and have all of their publications in print, and / or digital PDFs.

Drawings and visual descriptions never go out of date or style, their publications are ALL worth buying.

#11 obrazell

obrazell

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:23 AM

the colour star atlas is a relatively new publication. The maps were drawn by Mike Swan who did the maps for the later editions of Nortons but go deeper and have more DSO's in them. The planetary nebula atlas has not yet been published in print form. We are thinking about that. It is currently only a PDF download.

Owen

#12 droid  Happy Birthday!

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:53 AM

Ive never seen one or owned one. :confused:

Lol......how colorful are they , lol....and where does one order them from?

#13 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

Go here: http://www.webbdeepsky.com

#14 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

I have been a member of the Webb Society for years and have all of their publications in print, and / or digital PDFs.

Drawings and visual descriptions never go out of date or style, their publications are ALL worth buying.

They never go out of style, no, but there are better resources available today beginning with The Night Sky Observers Guide, NED, etc., etc., etc. ;)

#15 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

How can the NSOG be better than the Webb books?
they are also visual descriptions and drawings, like the Webb books.
I would call them equal.

#16 blb

blb

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

I would call them equal.

Actualy I would think of them as being better than the NSOG. The reason being that the NSOG is geared more toward the larg dob where the Webb books are geared more toward the mediun sized telescope and the sketches were made with medium sized telescopes. Although I too love the NSOG, my scope size is more in line with the Webb books.

#17 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

I would call them equal.

Actualy I would think of them as being better than the NSOG. The reason being that the NSOG is geared more toward the larg dob where the Webb books are geared more toward the mediun sized telescope and the sketches were made with medium sized telescopes. Although I too love the NSOG, my scope size is more in line with the Webb books.

Good to have choices. I do most of my observing with an 18", so the NSOG works better for me. But I also do some observing with my 8" SCT, and the NSOG is really fine for that as well. I also find the NSOG easier to use in the field--just two volumes with all types of DSO's organized by constellation.

#18 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

And they're so bright and colorful on the shelf. Sort of brightens up the bookcase a bit.

Exactly!

Posted Image

Eric

#19 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

I would call them equal.

More objects. More descriptions. Lots of drawings and images. The Webb books were great for their time, but not the equal of the NSOG by any measure. ;)

#20 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

I would call them equal.

More objects. More descriptions. Lots of drawings and images. The Webb books were great for their time, but not the equal of the NSOG by any measure. ;)

Well, sure; but it doesn't have to be an either/or situation. The NSOG is fine; but it's not the be-all and end-all. Once you have it, the Webb books are a fine additional resource to have available. And the specialized nature of the individual books is a very handy feature; if I want to look at planetary nebulae tonight, I can pull that one volume and have a gaggle of them at my fingertips.

(And yes, planetary nebulae come in gaggles.)

#21 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

Well, sure; but it doesn't have to be an either/or situation. The NSOG is fine; but it's not the be-all and end-all. Once you have it, the Webb books are a fine additional resource to have available. And the specialized nature of the individual books is a very handy feature; if I want to look at planetary nebulae tonight, I can pull that one volume and have a gaggle of them at my fingertips.

(And yes, planetary nebulae come in gaggles.)

Never said it was either/or, just that there are better references IMHO than the Webb books. Frankly I probably use NED more than anything else... ;)

If you've got the Webb books, that is cool. If not, I believe there are better ways to spend (or not spend) those hard-earned dineros... :cool:

#22 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

NED?

#23 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

NED = "NASA Extragalactic Database"

http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/

If you observe galaxies or want to, it is the best thing since...well...sliced bread. ;)

#24 Ragaisis

Ragaisis

Ranger 4

• Loc: Milwaukee, WI

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Always interesting to see what people choose to use as reference material. Given where I am in my observing journey, lack of developed talent, and the fact that I observe with 3.5" refractor in a white zone, the 75 cents per volume of the Webb books worked well for me.

But that doesn't stop me from earnestly reading everybody's views here and lusting after the material that the "big boys" (like unc Rod) use. I may get there some day.

In the end, the best reference material is exactly the same as the best telescope. It's the one you USE. ;-)

#25 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

Bingo.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics