Photo

Just wanted to show off my 'Manny Mods' :)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 WaterMaster

WaterMaster

Moat Keeper

• Administrators
  • Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

After several months of futzing around with how to position my LS60 on my Porta Mount, I finally contacted Dave and ordered his mount bracket (and I ordered his EP tray as well). It all arrived well packed and installation was a breeze, and Dave did a great job keeping me informed about his progress on my order. Finally my focuser is parallel to the ground and the PT and the front etalon adjuster are in comfortable positions. Now all I need is a cloud-free day. :ohgeeze:

Thanks Dave!

Attached Files

#2 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:38 AM

What a major upgrade! Your Porta is much more user friendly now!

#3 joelimite

joelimite

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

I have the mount bracket for my Porta Mount, too, and love it. Your LS60 looks terrific riding atop your Manny Modded Porta Mount, Steve.

#4 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

Same set up I have for my LS60, Dave's mods are great!

#5 WaterMaster

WaterMaster

Moat Keeper

• Administrators

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

Thanks all!

Nothing but clouds, rain, snow, and wind - so still haven't had a chance to try it out. I have no doubts as to the usefulness of the bracket, though. The first several months I owned the Lunt I had it mounted on my iEQ30 and I got pretty used to having the PT and the focuser parallel to the ground. When I got the Porta I kept moving the scope in the ring to try and find an orientation that felt 'natural' but never could. When I added the front etalon it just got worse. Now everything appears to be right where my hands expect.

#6 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

• Loc: Far South of the flyover city of Chicago

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:45 AM

Looks great Steve, but what is a front etalon and PT.
m2

#7 WaterMaster

WaterMaster

Moat Keeper

• Administrators

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

:) Oops, sorry for the jargon. The PT is the pressure-tuner - the big black knob on the side, and the front etalon is the red thing on the front of the scope (it's what makes this scope a 'double-stack'). It has a small brass wheel to tune the etalon filter on the right side. Before I installed your mods I had to turn the scope in the ring so the solar finder wouldn't interfere with adjusting the PT, which put the fine control knob for the focuser pointing toward the ground and the front etalon tuning wheel almost on top of the tube. It was just plain awkward to adjust either while keeping my eye at the EP (with my head covered by my observing hood).

#8 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

I like my Manny Mod because now the Franistat valve is in a better position and I can get to the Hoodakai much easier than before.

Thanks Manny...

Stan

#9 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

:lol:

Linda B.

#10 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Just love jargon cannot get my fill of it, always like picking up new jargon I learned to sail and bought my own sailboat just to speak in a new jargon BUT to get a better understanding of what Steve speaks, I need a picture to show the things.
m2

#11 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

I got my 3rd Manny pan-handle just over a month ago; all three had slightly different mods compared to the standard handle (and as always Dave's a great guy to deal with!) - this one might interest solar observers - I got Dave to add a 1/4" stud on top of the plate so I could mount a small ball-head (Dave wisely suggested that the 1/4" stud be removable). I can now either use the new mounting point to hold a LCD monitor, or an adjustable sunshade for solar work. I'd highly recommend this addition! (I fact, I sent my 2nd plate back to Dave for the mod as well!)

Attached Files

#12 core

core

Apollo

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

... and LCD mounting.

Attached Files

#13 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

Peter,
What type of diagonal is on the AT scope you show there?
m2

#14 core

core

Apollo

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

It's a Lunt Solar Wedge ; got tired of hunting down the appropriate size front filter for some of my refractors, with the wedge (and polarizer filter in the back), I can use it on any of my refractors.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics