Celestron 6/8SE Mount Question

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

I'm thinking about purchasing this mount for my C8HD, but from the one's I've seen the tripod seems a little short. Is there anything special about this mount that the tripod legs could not be replaced with a taller set? I think there's a locating pin isn't there?

Any suggestions on taller, but portable, leg sets? I like the Vixen Hal130 leg sets because they're so portable, yet sturdy, but I don't know if even those would be tall enough.

Patrick

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Patrick I believe the Nexstar 6/8 mount will mate with the CPC tripod just fine. Lots more stability than the stock tripod.

#3 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Under the sky

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

Sorry Patrick, I don't mean to hijack...

Mike how big is the CPC tripod? I'm considering a similar setup, Edge HD 8, SE mount, tripod and would appreciate any other feedback for use as a grab and go. Is the CPC tripod airline friendly?

#4 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

The DC-3 would accept a CPC tripod.

#5 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

If you are used to a steady mount and non-vibrating views you'll be unhappy the 6/8SE mount. The 8" OTA works with it, but just barely.

#6 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

The CPC tripod is a horse -- 2 inch legs, heavy metal accessory tray, etc. I would not call it airline friendly unless your skycaps have been bench pressing heavy weights. It is easily 10-15 pounds more than a fully loaded golf bag and roughly the same dimensions collapsed.

Attached Files

#7 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

• Loc: Wells, Maine 04090

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

I agree, the 8SE is a jiggly mount :twitch:

-Tim

If you are used to a steady mount and non-vibrating views you'll be unhappy the 6/8SE mount. The 8" OTA works with it, but just barely.

#8 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Oh heck. I was getting all excited about a 8SE, too. Yes, I hate jiggly views. Thanks so much for the warning fellas!

Patrick

#9 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

Patrick,

The issues with the 8SE have less to do with the mount itself and more to do with the tripod under it. Yes the mount with it's spur gears and such isn't the rock of Gibraltar but it is substantially improved with a heavier tripod under it. It's often reported that the 8SE is a whole different scope when on a heavier tripod.

The 8SE base uses the "standard" Celestron 3 bolt pattern. As such the CPC, and NexStar GPS tripods (among others) will bolt right up to it. The CPC is the heavier of the two, the black NexStar GPS model uses slightly thinner legs but is still a substantial improvement over the 6/8SE stock tripod. I'd would advertise your interest in a used NexStar GPS, I'll bet you can get one at a good price. The CPC model will probably be a bit tougher to get used but if you can handle the extra weight it might be a good alternative.

#10 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

As such the CPC, and NexStar GPS tripods (among others) will bolt right up to it. The CPC is the heavier of the two,

I have a CPC1100 tripod already. My primary goal here is a sturdy grab and go setup, so, while I could use the CPC tripod it's not the lightest tripod out there.

The issues with the 8SE have less to do with the mount itself and more to do with the tripod under it. Yes the mount with it's spur gears and such isn't the rock of Gibraltar but it is substantially improved with a heavier tripod under it. It's often reported that the 8SE is a whole different scope when on a heavier tripod.

Interesting. It could be worth a shot.

Patrick

#11 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:14 AM

When I put my 6/8SE mount onto either my custom, homebuilt Parker-style tripod or on my CPC 11 tripod the jitters do lessen but not to a degree I would call acceptable to an experienced observer.. You still cannot touch the C8 focuser without penalty. These are my experiences....others have reported much better results. I'm sure there are variations in the units themselves as well as varying expectations among users.

#12 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

Again, I have to agree....it's a tuning fork, even on a beefy tripod :thumbsdown:

When I put my 6/8SE mount onto either my custom, homebuilt Parker-style tripod or on my CPC 11 tripod the jitters do lessen but not to a degree I would call acceptable to an experienced observer.. You still cannot touch the C8 focuser without penalty. These are my experiences....others have reported much better results. I'm sure there are variations in the units themselves as well as varying expectations among users.

#13 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

You still cannot touch the C8 focuser without penalty. These are my experiences....

Dang. Well, I do have an electronic focuser for the C8, but I don't want to have to drag it out for quick sessions.

Right now the VX could be a backup, but I don't really want another GEM mount. I'm also looking at the DSV-3 and Stellarvue M150. Any comments about those?

Thanks,

Patrick

#14 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

Patrick,

I recently bought a AVX Mount for use with my 105 Traveler. The Traveler is about 14-15 pounds when laoded up for visual use. I adapted my AP Wood Tripod to accept the AVX and it's rock solid. So that left me with this nice Celestron Tripod that came with the AVX so I thought, hmmm...guess I need a grab n go. So I bought this nice old mount and will put it on the Celestron tripod in Alt-Az mode. I'll be able to loosen the clutches and move it freely by hand or tighten them and use the slo-mo controls. I think something like this my work for you, not sure what the C8HD weighs but it must be in the ballpark of my Traveler. -Tim

You still cannot touch the C8 focuser without penalty. These are my experiences....

Dang. Well, I do have an electronic focuser for the C8, but I don't want to have to drag it out for quick sessions.

Right now the VX could be a backup, but I don't really want another GEM mount. I'm also looking at the DSV-3 and Stellarvue M150. Any comments about those?

Thanks,

Patrick

#15 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

Thanks Mike, that looks the business :cool:

#16 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Interesting suggestion.... is the VX tripod the same as the CPC? I'm think dual purpose :grin:

#17 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

[quote name="Patrick"] [quote]You still cannot touch the C8 focuser without penalty. These are my experiences.... [/quote]

Yep, I put the top part of a SE tripod onto an Oberwerk tripod. Better than a stock SE tripod, but still shakey.

Makes it about as good as a stock 6SE...

#18 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

Well I mount my 8i on my CPC1100's tripod all the time and I do use a Motofocus...

I personally have NO PROBLEMS with vibrations etc..
BUT I am a visual observer only...

MY CPC is pier mounted so is tripod is always available...and is much much "stiffer" then the OEM 8i tripod was...

BTW my MF just snaps on it takes me all of 1 second to remove it from my pocket and attach it to the scope... I use the same MF on both my CPC1100 and 8i just use different adapters on each OTA

Bob G

Bob G.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics