SATURN IS ORANGE

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 tomharri

tomharri

Messenger

• Loc: along the I-10 corridor

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

Through the Televue Planetary filter. The dark band above the equator really stands out as does the dark polar cap. The filter colors the image with not much dimming, could still see Titan and 3 lesser moons with my 10" dob.

5a.m. is kinda late for good viewing as Saturn is 1/2 way down toward horizon, midnite to 3a.m. looks to be current best window.

Attached Files

#2 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

I didn't like the TV planetary filter on Saturn as I feel it dimms the planet too much.

Rich (RLTYS)

#3 tomharri

tomharri

Messenger

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

So we have the Mars A, which is good only for Mars,
And now the latest, which is really only good on Jupiter.
Maybe they, TV, can fine tune something for Saturn, cause it does look bizarre in orange, even the rings are colored.

#4 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Saturn looks best unfiltered IMO.

#5 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

I normally get the cloud detail to pop out at me with an orange #21 and then switch between that and unfiltered as I also enjoy looking at the moons and for the crepe ring

#6 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

...and through thin clouds.

#7 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

Fore sure Rick! :ubetcha:

#8 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

I agree.

Rich (RLTYS)

#9 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:32 AM

If wonder - just throwing this out there - how BAADERs magenta filter would work on Saturn. That color strongly deepens or suppresses yellow /green tones so it'd darken some features for sure. Perhaps it'd be a great filter for isolating those recurrent but too rare white storms?

Pete

#10 tomharri

tomharri

Messenger

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

Tried this filter on the moon, and it works good! Cuts out all the achromatic blue haze, was using Celestron C6R, and turns the moon dirt to a light brown.

#11 blb

blb

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

I too agree with this. Filters will never replace a trained eye. :silly: :shameonyou:

#12 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

• Loc: Nr. Scotland.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:37 AM

I normally get the cloud detail to pop out at me with an orange #21 and then switch between that and unfiltered as I also enjoy looking at the moons and for the crepe ring

Speaking as someone who has observed Saturn for thousands of hours over 5 decades I can agree that it looks at its best with no filter. Not to say that filters are useless here. On the contrary I find that the brighter planets in general can be advantageously viewed with the longer wavelength ones W#15/21/22/23A/25 when they are at a **lower altitude and some of the usually poorer seeing is somewhat countered by these. It does look pretty horrible to me in Baader neodymium.

**Saturn: http://alpo-j.asahik...11/s111107z.htm
**Mercury: http://alpo-j.asahik...12/c121202z.htm

James Muirden (the actual maker of my 415mm D-K optics) in his “Amateur Astronomer’s Handbook” (1987) gives little credence to filters, especially for Venus. Based on my experiences I thoroughly disagree with him on that. If nothing else a filter of any colour can reduce the glare of very bright planets, very helpful/essential in larger scopes. Here weaker features can be completely washed out, and no matter how well-trained an eye is it will not magically bring them out! Worse still the eye’s pupil will likely contract to less than the exit pupil – effectively stopping down the scope: and worse beyond that: the already large central obstruction in commonly used SCTs will then be relatively even larger in relation to the eye pupil and affecting contrast quite severely.

I say go ahead and check out whatever occurs to you – no harm. I’m a ‘suck-it-and-see’ sort of guy – never deterred by purists/theorists and their ilk. For instance I use an apodizer a lot; and regardless of the (armchair) maths that say it does/does not do what claimed it is a virtually neutral filter – tho’ some can’t stand the diffraction effects. I suppose it’s whether you want to detect/study fine detail or prefer the more aesthetic non-apodized view. My first effective apodizer-experience was the fireguard hung on the end of the 415mm D-K as whim one night and I was converted – suck-it-and-see!! Tho’ I had in my youth (1963) saw the effect and possibilities when viewing Jupiter from our landing window and the wind blew the net curtain across the 3” refractor – it took me till 1991 to follow this up with the fireguard!

Try stacking different filters (larger scopes mainly) – if they are of good optical quality – no harm: suck-it-and-see! Try these things over a few nights to check the seeing is not compromising things.

Actually as I do a lot of colour work with Saturn, Jupiter & Mars for attempting accurate colour drawings my use of colour filters is minimal here. Especially not using them before said pursuit: Mars for instance can look pure yellow after looking at it through W#25(red); but can more quickly ‘reset’ your vision following the 25 with say W#58(green) for a spell!

#13 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

In the spirit of the thread here is a light orange W#15 (some say deep-yellow) filter drawing from 2011.

Attached Files

#14 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

Some other colours and a non-filter one from 2011.

These are also here:-

http://alpo-j.asahik...11/s110408z.htm
http://alpo-j.asahik...11/s110416z.htm

Attached Files

#15 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

thanks for the splendid sketches David. This opposition I have been using light green and yellow-green on this planet. I think it really helps the cloud bands while giving a brighter image than the orange(also decent).

#16 idp

idp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: New Haven, CT

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

Having observed Saturn hundreds of times I pretty much agree with David and others; filters in general do not help much, you need every bit of light you can catch - at least with 8" or 10" instruments.

The real enhancer in my opinion is observing at dusk, when the contrast with the background sky is much reduced. I often happened to find a few "magic" minutes when the visibility of tones and colors improves incredibly. Same goes for the other planets, though the "right time" changes of course with surface brightness.

Ivano

#17 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

I viewed Saturn last night very early just on the horizon to show my oldest daughter. We both thought it looked very orange. We were actually looking through tree branches it was so low. It still looked lovely. My assumption was the color was because it was so low and I was going through so much atmosphere. Almost like the Moon looks when it starts to rise.

We used two scopes a 72mm refractor and an 8 inch reflector.

It was interesting to see it.

Ken

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics