Advanced VX problems

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

• Loc: Romeoville IL

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

I fear I got a lemon, or have a gremlin in my house or something.

Got my advanced vx 31 days ago 31 being important because it's 1 day past 30. Been cloudy for about 28 of those 31 days. First night I took the mount out was cold and I didn't spend a lot of time with it but everything was functioning fine. Fast forward to a few nights ago. I carried everything outside, set it all up and then powered it on and got a No Response 17 and 16 on the hand controller. Did some research saying it could be power or the DEC RA cables, so I reseated everything, nothing helped. Missed my 2nd clear night. The next day I tried some of my other hand controllers and found the No Response 17 and 16 followed the new hand controller. Talked to OPT to agreed to swap me a hand controller even though I was one day past their 30 day warranty, but they recommended flashing the HC firmware first.

So I did that and it was a successful firmware update, however the hand controller gave me the same error, and continued to follow the HC no matter which mount I plugged it into. Ok, easy enough, I replace the HC.

Since tonight is my 3rd clear night of the year I decided to use my CPC controller on the Advanced VX. I pulled the mount out of my office where I did the upgrade and walked back outside with it and now....nothing.

the power button doesn't light up, but if I wiggle the power cable, unscrew it slightly the mount sometimes blinks a light once, I see the handset get power but for the most part the power light stays off. My nexstar + Hand controller says "verifying packages, please wait" and then turns the HC lights on, but I get nothing more from the hand controller.

I try with 2 different nexstar* HC's and they both say initializing and then nothing.

I've now tried with power from my power pack as well as with the wall outlet. The power pack is the only thing that gives me any juice at all.

The Celestron Firmware Manager only looked like it updated the hand controller, and it told me it was 100% completely before I did anything. Is there any way that would have tried to send something to the mount that would have failed without telling me? Or I now wonder if something was messed up in the mount that messed up the HC.

I'm so frustrated right now.

How painful is the process of sending something back to Celestron that's still under warranty? :bawling:

Jim

#2 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

If I manually hold the celestron and info button upon boot I get a "Bootloader pass through 19.2k"

#3 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

celestron button and menu gives me a "bootloader user keyboard entry"

I'm trying to push the firmware to it again....

#4 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

no go.

#5 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

Sounds like a power supply issue to me.

What kind of battery are you using? Are you using a Celestron or third party transformer for AC power? Have you checked the spacing of the prongs inside the post on the power plug?

These might be helpful:

http://www.nexstarsi...owerSources.htm

http://www.nexstarsi.../NoResponse.htm

I'm betting you have a weak power supply and/or loose power connection. I'd always mess with the power supplies and connections first before messing with hand controllers.

- Jim

#6 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

I'm using a celestron power supply, fully charged, and I've tried 2 different car battery adapter cables. The cable that came with the Advanced VX mount has a threaded screw to keep it in place, but I've already found I had to back it off a turn to get the power to stay on. The other one came with one of my other celestron scopes. AC adapter is the celestron 12v ac adapter. Everything is capible of powering all my other equipment, just won't power the VX.

Being that the no response 16 and 17 follow the hand controller to whichever celestron device I plug it into, I don't think that one is power related.

I'm now wondering if something on the mount board fried the controller.

I'm going to call Celestron in the morning and see what they say.

Jim

#7 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

If you are finding that the power connection is not rock solid with the plus screwed in place, you may want to take a look at the center pin in the connection on the mount. You will see that it has a slot in it. Take a thin screwdriver in that slot and open the gap a bit. This will improve the connection for the power supply and may solve your problem.

-Wade

#8 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

Thanks Wade, I'll try that tonight.

Jim

#9 SDTopensied

SDTopensied

Mariner 2

• Loc: Atlanta

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

I had the same problem on my CGEM. Fortunately, I had an extra NexStar+ hand controller and was able to sectionalize it down to a faulty hand controller. Celestron replaced it under warranty very quickly.

Hope this helps.

-Steve

#10 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

I spoke with Celestron today and they think it's the motor board. Looks like they're going to RMA it. So I think that should give everyone in the midwest clear skies until the day I get it back.

Jim

#11 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

Did you at least check to see if it could be a power issue? Spread the pin a bit?

#12 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

Did you at least check to see if it could be a power issue? Spread the pin a bit?

OMG, Rod. You've changed your avatar! (sorry for the off-topic post, but this was just too monumental to ignore) :grin:

#13 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

OMG, Rod. You've changed your avatar! (sorry for the off-topic post, but this was just too monumental to ignore) :grin:

It was time, bro...I realized my former picture was from the Deep South Regional Star Gaze of...1995! :lol:

#14 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

I have a VX on order through astronomics. They are supposed to get a shipment in on Monday.
A friend of mine had bought a next star 8se and it broke after using it a couple of times. It was something in the motor mechanism. He returned it and upgraded to a CPC8 and it has been working. I suppose celestron sells quite a bit so there are bound to be some bad ones out there.

#15 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

About 99% of the problems with the CG5 involve power/power-connector/power cable, and I suspect it will be exactly the same with the VX... ;)

#16 will1384

will1384

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

I have a VX on order through astronomics. They are supposed to get a shipment in on Monday.
A friend of mine had bought a next star 8se and it broke after using it a couple of times. It was something in the motor mechanism. He returned it and upgraded to a CPC8 and it has been working. I suppose celestron sells quite a bit so there are bound to be some bad ones out there.

I have an order with them also, ordered last week, and wondered why they had not shipped, they told me "Celestron had run out of counterweights" and someone else that I ordered from, sent me the wrong telescope, :confused:

Hopefully it will get sorted out soon, LOL

#17 Markh5

Markh5

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

I have an order with them also, ordered last week, and wondered why they had not shipped, they told me "Celestron had run out of counterweights" and someone else that I ordered from, sent me the wrong telescope, :confused:

Hopefully it will get sorted out soon, LOL [/quote]

I got the same email last week when I checked on my order. Here's hoping we some big boxes show up next week :jump:

#18 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

Keep us posted on the outcome of your problems. I am seriously considering this mount.

#19 beammeup

beammeup

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Straight of Gibraltar

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

No problems so far with my VX mount ( after using 4 times), but i did notice that the screw-on power connector seems to fit a little loosely in the socket on the mount.

#20 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

Spreading the power didn't help with my issue. My last email to Celestron tech support was late Friday, so I hope to see an RMA Monday.

Jim

#21 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

Just an fyi: Takes several days to get a reply when you submit a ticket but if you call them on the phone you are talking to a CSA in less than 10 minutes and you'll get it sorted fast.

#22 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

Because of their support hours I had to call them from work Friday and didn't have the mount in front of me. The tech asked me to try a few more things when I got home that night and put in a ticket through the web and attach a copy of my receipt. I should have got a ticket number from the phone support but didn't think to ask at the time. I'll probably follow up Monday,

Jim

#23 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

The entire VX is in the mail back to Celestron. Sounds like they're replacing the entire thing as they wanted me to ship all 65lbs back to them. If they were just going to replace the motor control board and hand controller I don't think they would have asked for everything but the C6R back.

We'll see what the turn around is. April 5th and 12th weekends are pretty dark, so hopefully it arrives sometime between the two, but early enough in the week the new scope curse fades by the weekend.

Jim

#24 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

I received my VX today and it appears to be working correctly. Unfortunately it was cloudy tonight so all I did was set it up in my living room and ran it through its paces.

#25 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

I'd suggest you power it up every night for a few minutes. Mine failed on the 2nd time I took it outside, which was probably the 3rd time I powered it up.

Good luck, hope you got the a good one. It was getting very good reviews here. Like anything a few are bound to miss a quality check, so I'm looking forward to my replacement.

Clear skies,
Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics