Advanced VX problems

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

My CGEM hand controller dies on it's second use. Celestron sent a new one and the HC has been problem free for several years now. I wouldn't think the HC is any more prone to failure than before. There may be a software glitch in the new HC but that is a separate matter.

#27 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

Thanks for that info Jim, I will try that. I was thinking that yours was dead out of the box. Thought I was safe. I hope they resolve yours for you soon. It is a drag to buy new equipment and have to ship it back.

I really like the mount. The only issue that I have is that the 11 lb counterweight is a little too much for my AT72ED. Long term that won't be a problem when I get my AT6RC, but for now, I have to slide the counterweight all of the way up the bar to balance it. The problem then is the counterweight can hit the Dec motor housing if I use the scope with that weight placement. I looked around for a 5 lb weight and all I found was 4.2 lb one from Vixen for around $70. Anybody have any ideas where I can pickup a 5 lb weight for less than that or easily make one out of a dumbbell weight.

#28 will1384

will1384

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Walmart may still carry Weight Plates, and Amazon does, they come in 2.5 pounds, 5 pounds, and larger, they have a hole in the center, not sure if that hole is the size we need, but that can be fixed with ether a drill or some washers, I just hope there are no problems with the diameter of the Weight Plates, BTW last night when just using my DLSR, I did not even try using the weight.

I found the 2.5 Weight Plate as cheap as $5.50 with shipping.

#29 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

I would try this guy or CN classifieds. http://astronomy-mal...o.parts.outlet/

#30 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

Orion makes a 7.5# that is a smaller diameter than the 11# CW. I use it for my SV70 on my CG-5s.

Stan

http://www.telescope...Orion-Counte...

#31 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I did see the Orion one before, but I was not sure of the hole size on that one. The AVX has a 3/4" shaft. Not sure that is the same as the CG5.

#32 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

• Loc: Wells, Maine 04090

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

Somewhere in the very long AVX Thread I'm fairly certain someone confirmed that the shaft size was the same and the Orion weight worked fine. -Tim

Thanks for the suggestions. I did see the Orion one before, but I was not sure of the hole size on that one. The AVX has a 3/4" shaft. Not sure that is the same as the CG5.

#33 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

Jeff,

The AVX, CG-5 and CGEM (STD) all use a 3/4 shaft.

Stan

#34 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for confirming that Stan and Zawi. I don't know why manufactures of counterweights don't always publish detail specs. Instead they say this weight is built for such and such mounts. I think they would sell a lot more weights if they published the specs: bore size, diameter, and thickness.

#35 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

• Loc: Romeoville IL

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

Received a shipping notice today. Expected delivery Monday the 29th. So pretty close to a month (doorstep to doorstep) for them to turn that around. It was in their possession for 23 days, 17 business days. Not that I wouldn't have loved to have it the last 30 days, but the weather in the midwest has been terrible so I don't feel too bad. Gave me time to spend more money without being able to use it...I upgraded the focuser on my C6R and pickup a ES14 100 degree.

Clear skies,
Jim

#36 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

• Loc: Romeoville IL

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Replacement mount arrived yesterday. Looks like it's a new mount and not my origional, though I didn't have it long enough to put any scrapes on it. Transparency was terrible so it only got setup in my living room. The hand controller seemed to come with better setting out of the box than origional one I ordered. The NetRemote + has a few different brightness settings. The original handset was almost unusable the first time at night. The LCD was too dim and the scroll speed was too fast, so I couldn't even make out what it was asking me to do.

Current conditions don't look great tonight as far as seeing, but it might be good enough for me to try to pull in Jupiter and Saturn tonight. Looking forward to trying out the refractor for a 2nd time just as much as I'm looking forward to trying out the mount again.

Jim

#37 Tony Peperone

Tony Peperone

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

Hello Jim,

A few days ago I received my Celestron VX mount and SkyQ.
They communicated for a couple of days but didn't point the scope to the correct position. Then, today the SkyQ wouldn't connect or crashed. I tried the hand controller, but after it initialled displaying a lite blank screen, pressing Enter or any other combinations of keys did nothing. I had an identical handset from a C6-RGT mount. It did the same thing - initialize, then no responce. Your post will help when I report my problem.
Assuming you received yor replacement mount, is it working as t should?

Thanks, Tony

#38 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

Not sure it's 3/4" - as far as I know these are 20mm (have had a GP and a CGEM), and 3/4" is 19mm. So it's conceivable that a 3/4" hole weight would not fit on the CW shaft..

#39 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

The size on the CGEM comes from the old Vixen weight arms. And it is 20mm. You can get a 20mm bolt and take it with you to check weight holes.

-Rich

#40 inbeeman

inbeeman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

I'm just curious what happend to resolve your nexstar+ handset problem.

I bought an advanced vx mount three weeks ago and on my fifth use of the mount I suffered the exact same problem jerwin experienced.Even tried to reflashed the unit with CFM, but alas when I cycle power all I get is Advanced GT verifing all packages 

then shows Initalize then just sits there.

I have emailed Clestron I reciever a conformation email and a ticket number but haven't recieved  anything from tech support.

I bought it from Amazon.com fulfilled by Adorama camera. Maybe I should contact them? at least beforethe 30th day

Thanks for any words of wisdom

Steve

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics