• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 langman78

langman78

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:53 AM

Hi all.
I've just come across a neximage for sale on eBay for $70 dollars. Seems like a good intro into some AP using my 8se, but it isn't sold with any software. How would I go about running the camera? The seller has informed me that the original software that celestron sold with it was very poor. Are there any programs (pref free) available in order to use the neximage?
Cheers :)

#2 Darrenlh

Darrenlh

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:03 AM

The software that originally came with the camera was "AMcap", and Registax. Both these programs are available online. You could also try Sharpcap - as long as the program supports The Phillips SPC900 chip you should be good to go.

Here is a link for AMcap
http://download.cnet...4-10504734.html

#3 comets4tom

comets4tom

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

As long as you have a driver that works I believe you can search for a free download of Amcap for capturing and download Registax as well for processing. I believe that is what was on the original cd-rom.

Tom H.

#4 langman78

langman78

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:24 AM

Thanks heaps :)
Now just have to decide if I go for this cheaper option or save for a neximage 5 or go one better with a API 120mm

#5 Atl

Atl

Viking 1

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

It is basically a web cam. A security camera would be a better investment for the cash.

#6 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

I agree with Atl, i sold my old Neximage a year ago for $70, the newer one, Neximage5 you can buy on ebay for $120-150.

Maybe Atl, or someone else who knows could post a separate thread on which low price webcam options to get (sammy 2000,gstar, mintron) and also what additional accesories or DIY changes you have to perform to get it to work. Generally I believe you can probably get an 8sec-17sec capture device this way for maybe under $200 ??

Al

#7 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Vanguard

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

. . . on which low price webcam options to get (sammy 2000,gstar, mintron) and also what additional accesories or DIY changes you have to perform to get it to work. Generally I believe you can probably get an 8sec-17sec capture device this way for maybe under $200 ??

Al

Al,
Samsung, Gstar-Ex, and Mintrons are not webcams.
They are all Analogue Video cameras/Security cameras. They are in the same stable as Mallincam's, just not as good in quality.

'Webcams' are digital devices, and the ones that are suitable for Astro work are Neximage, Meade LPI's, Imaging Source cameras, Phillips Vesta's, Phillips ToUcam's, Phillips SPC900nc's, some of the Logitech Quickcam's, and similar devices.
These cameras are mainly used by Planetary Imagers.
Some can be modified for Long Exposure imaging. But not Deep Space Video.

Don't confuse Video cameras with Webcams as they are totally different in many ways. :waytogo:
The best place to find info about imaging with Webcams is in the Solar System Imaging section.

#8 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

ken,

Sorry, no confusion here I get it. But yes I did unfortunately include that dreaded "webcam" word with the security cams, which I totally get are different,... Apologies for the confusion...

Still I think,the biggest obstacle for most people who would want to try video astronomy is the price point for a fully functional Mallncam $1000+ or Gstar ~$500. Which are good to go,out of the box... Meanwhile other very good options can be had for close to the neximage5 price point of $200. But those require some DIY tinkering... So how about a tutorial on how o convert one of the lowest price cameras? Heck i'd get one as a video finder!

Al

#9 Atl

Atl

Viking 1

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

Cost should not be an obstacle. I have a Matrix DXB-9300EX b&w. This was used at $130. It is the same camera hardware and settings wise as the Mintron 12V6HC-EX and the Gstar Ex B&W. It has a 1/2" ccd chip. This book

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/03878761...

fully addresses this hardware. The Samsung SCBs are also cost effective in the sub $150 range. These cameras do not require tinkering. This seems to be a myth here. My camera is sold as a security camera, a microscope camera, AND an astronomy camera...lol. Tinkering is addressed by those who enjoy it. Cost is no obstacle here for someone with income of some sort.

#10 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

70 bucks is about twice what the NexImage is worth. It is not a bad little camera, but The World Has Moved On. I'd save my dineros for the NexImage 5.

#11 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: East of Poskin

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

The Neximage 5 seems to work better for lunar and solar shots and not as well for the planets. Something about the shutter?

#12 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Vanguard

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

If it is cost that prevents some people from entering into Video Astronomy (like I was) then the basic Samsung is perfect.
They are what a lot of members in this Forum started out with (Samsung SDC-435) and are readily available, and work straight out of the box (they are now called Samsung SCB-2000).
Just screw on a nosepiece and plug in a Dazzle cable.
If you choose to modify it, it takes only a few minutes to easily remove the filter. http://www.cloudynig.../Number/3713996
They can be found at around the $120 price new (or less if you look around).

($99.95): http://www.bhphotovi..._SCB_2000_1_...

But it is the same with Telescopes and mounts.
Nothing is cheap in this hobby. Those that can afford it get expensive scopes on a paramount mount, those that can't use an EQ5 and a cheap Achromat or small reflector.
All work well, just to different degrees.

Same with the cameras. The Sammy's are quite remarkable for their price.
Even though I mainly use my Mallincam Xtreme I have kept my Sammy because it works so well.
One day I'll probably give it to some kid wanting to get into video astronomy, and know he has a good camera to start with.

#13 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

The Neximage 5 seems to work better for lunar and solar shots and not as well for the planets. Something about the shutter?

What shutter?

#14 mattflastro

mattflastro

Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

• -----
  • Loc: Brevard County , FL

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

What shutter?

the electronic rolling shutter in those 5MP cmos sensors made by Micron .

#15 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

Well, that's a shutter of a sort I guess. ;)

#16 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

For planetary, the main obstacle is the seeing. Using many very short exposure images, selecting just few good ones, then stacking them to gain a higher S/N image, is the name of the game. This is called Lucky Imaging.

Shorter exposure is the key, not shutter, nor shutter types, e.g., mechanical shutter, electronic global shutter (SPC900NC has that), electronic rolling shutter (neximage 5 has that).

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#17 mattflastro

mattflastro

Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

• -----
  • Loc: Brevard County , FL

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

For planetary, the main obstacle is the seeing. Using many very short exposure images, selecting just few good ones, then stacking them to gain a higher S/N image, is the name of the game. This is called Lucky Imaging.

Shorter exposure is the key, not shutter, nor shutter types, e.g., mechanical shutter, electronic global shutter (SPC900NC has that), electronic rolling shutter (neximage 5 has that).

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

people might be blaming the rolling shutter for the Micron sensor's lack of planetary performance , which is actually due to lack of sensitivity .
Lower sensitivity = longer exposure time = more time for atmospheric turbulence to blur the image, lower percentage of good frames to stack . For typical seeing conditions, there's a huge difference between a shorter than 1/1000 exposure and a 1/100 exposure time.

#18 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

Indeed "freeze the seeing" is the name of the game for planetary "imaging". CN has a subforum for that.

One will find most people there are using imagers equipped with SONY CCDs (latest generation ExView HAD II or SuperHAD II preferred.) They also do not use videocams since the former can achieve higher frame rate and the sensor is the "progressive" type (one shot readout for the entire imaging area).

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics