42 replies to this topic

#26 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Hi elmiko.

I am using a DSV-3 with the C8.

Here's the mount with an AT111EDT on it. I didn't take a picture of the C8 on the mount unfortunately, but the mount has zero problems with the C8 OTA.

Posted Image

Regards,

Jim

#27 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Hi Keith. By "soft" optics I mean that, no matter how well collimated and how well acclimated, the quality of star images and planetary images in the scope remained bloated in the case of stars and smudged in the case of planets. By "good" optics, I mean the converse - that when well collimated and cooled the scope produced reasonably crisp pinpoint stellar images and sharply rendered planetary detail. The poor examples had significantly unequal intra- and extra-focal diffraction patterns. The good examples did not have perfect symmetry, but were much, much closer to matched inside and outside of focus.

Were there other telescopes present besides the C8? If so, did you happen to observe the same target through the C8 and one of the other scopes at approximately the same magnification? What did you think about it's image versus the other scope's? That's probably the only way casually you'd be able to form an opinion about that particular C8 versus other types of scopes or other SCTs if more than one are in the field.

Regards,

Jim

#28 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

Hi palmer. Last night I mounted the stock 1.25" visual back aft of the FF/FR and used a 1.25" GSO mirror diagonal.

Regards,

Jim

#29 elmiko

elmiko

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Jim that is one sweet set up!

#30 Julio

Julio

Messenger

• Loc: Pembroke Pines ,FL

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

I just recently purchased one of the orange tube C8. I posted a while back about mine, intra focal and extra focal images are very similar and the details on Jupiter are amazing when seeing is good. I can always see 6 stars on the trap, Jupiter looked great easily showing detail within the GRS as well as eddies adjacent to GRS. This particular orange tube C8 outperforms the Intes MAK and the 4"APO.

#31 KeithC

KeithC

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta GA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Thank you for the explanation Jim. There were 4 other scopes. A 6" Meade SCT and three refractors, a 90mm achro, 102mm apo and a 6" Meade ED. The C-8 had a soft image until it cooled, then the images were crisp, eventually rivaling the image in the large refractor. It bothered me that I could not seem to focus the 6" SCT to the same level of clarity as the 8". I was a little wary of asking comparison questions for fear of offending people. I want to expand my thinking without insulting others so I am not so sure how to word things sometimes.

Anyway, it was a good experience for me. I was afraid to get out of the car at first but those outreach people were a very nice gracious group of men and women. Pleasure to meet them, so glad I went. Some very nice people here as well.

Keith

#32 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

Excellent, Keith.

What makes determining the quality of an SCT under casual observing circumstances difficult is that SCTs take a long while to adjust to ambient temperatures compared to other designs (inch per inch), and also SCTs use extremely fast mirrors (~f/2) so collimation is absolutely critical to decent "crisp" performance in the design. As often as not you'll find SCTs at star parties to be slightly out of collimation. This is less of a big deal for DSOs, but for planets and tight doubles, it's the death knell of their performance.

Your approach is a good one. Use, see, learn and don't judge too quickly.

Regards,

Jim

#33 KeithC

KeithC

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta GA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

Jim,

Thank you the explanations and the encouragement!

Keith

#34 Alterf

Alterf

Viking 1

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

I bought one of these C8s, too. It is the first SCT I have ever used about which I have no complaints at all. The optics are sharp and have retained collimation for months so far, the focuser is just right, and I have experienced no image shift. The tube is light in weight, and I really like the metallic orange. I have enjoyed the views through it very much. It is does exactly what I hoped it would.

Val

#35 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Excellent Val.

Also kudos on your successful March 5 star party. Melding wifi and tablets with GOTO is a great tool for teaching.

Regards,

Jim

#36 Alterf

Alterf

Viking 1

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

Thanks, Jim. For some of the students, "what app do you use to control the scope" was the most interesting question. Others just hung around the scope and wouldn't leave. It was a real astronomical highlight for me. I hope it happens again soon.

Val

#37 mark379

mark379

Messenger

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

Jim, You're right. I've owned quite a few sct's an some have less than average optics, while others have good optics. I finally settled on a c8 that is as close to perfect as I can find. The only other one that matched this mid 90's black tube was my friend's new nexstar orange tube. They are GREAT deal indeed. The ones being sold by by high point now are left over OTA's from the big sale 2 years back when the nexstar was $999.00. Afterward they split up the remaining mounts and tripods to the deal they have now. :cool:

#38 Daud

Daud

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

That means that the $999 was a better deal...
I noticed that the combined price of the separated OTA and mount comes to the standard street price..

Jim, You're right. I've owned quite a few sct's an some have less than average optics, while others have good optics. I finally settled on a c8 that is as close to perfect as I can find. The only other one that matched this mid 90's black tube was my friend's new nexstar orange tube. They are GREAT deal indeed. The ones being sold by by high point now are left over OTA's from the big sale 2 years back when the nexstar was $999.00. Afterward they split up the remaining mounts and tripods to the deal they have now. :cool:

#39 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

God, you guys are lucky, in Sweden it costs 1400$! :bawling:
Even so, i can see myself owning one in the future...

Well, you've friends (and probably cousins) here.

GGPa from Karlskrona GGMa from Malmo. GGpa in the center with his parents (CA 1865).

Attached Files

#40 mark379

mark379

Messenger

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

You're right. They seem to be at the standard price separated...

#41 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

If you needed the mount, anyway. But many of us don't. So if you want an 8" SCT OTA only, new, this is a sweet deal.

Regards,

Jim

#42 magnus

magnus

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Visby, Sweden

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:54 AM

What a nice photo :)
/Magnus 57N.

#43 Classic8

Classic8

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Naperville, IL, USA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

Hi Keith. By "soft" optics I mean that, no matter how well collimated and how well acclimated, the quality of star images and planetary images in the scope remained bloated in the case of stars and smudged in the case of planets. By "good" optics, I mean the converse - that when well collimated and cooled the scope produced reasonably crisp pinpoint stellar images and sharply rendered planetary detail. The poor examples had significantly unequal intra- and extra-focal diffraction patterns. The good examples did not have perfect symmetry, but were much, much closer to matched inside and outside of focus.

Were there other telescopes present besides the C8? If so, did you happen to observe the same target through the C8 and one of the other scopes at approximately the same magnification? What did you think about it's image versus the other scope's? That's probably the only way casually you'd be able to form an opinion about that particular C8 versus other types of scopes or other SCTs if more than one are in the field.

Regards,

Jim

I had a C8 like that. The images were always a bit "soft" and certainly not ideal. Other than that I loved the scope, it was on a fork mount but I could carry it in 1 arm and attach it to a wedge on an already aligned tripod, and start viewing almost immediately, while others were still setting up.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics