Where is everybody???

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

Only 4 weeks 'til the opening day of NEAF and no excited posts about all the $$ we will be spending? :confused:

#2 Otto Piechowski

Otto Piechowski

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lexington, KY

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

It's Lent. Gave up looking at telescope classifieds, advertisements, websites, store ads, ebay, CN classifieds, "the other" Classifieds, etc. Thinking about available (NEAF) goodies would be too painful.

One week more.

#3 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• Loc: Long: 81.42 W Lat: 41.21 N

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

:funny:

Ahhhh George, don't worry. I am still going along with my favorite astro friends again this year! I may well end up buying something.....as I always do. I can never go to this event to come home empty handed!

#4 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

Ahhhh George, don't worry. I am still going along with my favorite astro friends again this year! I may well end up buying something.....as I always do. I can never go to this event to come home empty handed!

That's really strange, Lenny. I, too, am going with my favorite astro friends. What an amazing coincidence!

#5 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

....a thought that should warm the heart of the most depressed astro equipment vendor! :lol:

Stop in a check out the Kopernik and Adirondack guys. We have nothing to sell, but will gladly take your $$.

#6 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:55 PM

Only 4 weeks 'til the opening day of NEAF and no excited posts about all the $$ we will be spending? :confused:

I think a lot of folks may be broke, quite frankly. Several of my friends have remarked that this past year's increased food and fuel costs have cut into their discretionary income considerably.

#7 turk123

turk123

Vanguard

• Loc: N.E. Ohio

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

I think a lot of folks may be broke, quite frankly. Several of my friends have remarked that this past year's increased food and fuel costs have cut into their discretionary income considerably.

I've stopped feeding my wife AND my dog many months ago in anticipation. I even walk to work some 25 miles. Neaf here I come!

I left today. I'm walking from Ohio to New York. :roflmao:

#8 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

I've stopped feeding my wife AND my dog many months ago in anticipation. I even walk to work some 25 miles. Neaf here I come!

I left today. I'm walking from Ohio to New York. :roflmao:

I can just see ya now...... walking home with a 6-inch F/12 refractor..... :o

#9 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

George,

I was bad before NEAF as I got a new full frame camera do most (well all my hobby budget has been blown :( I am still going but other than a 14mm ES 100° I am not getting anything else :( well going to defiant brewery to get 2 growlers of fresh beer :) but that's it.

#10 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

I just got a new QSI camera so blew my budget too. However I still have one thing on my bucket list, I want a nice smallish refractor for visual someday, like a TEC140. But I need to wait so in the mean time I was wanting to look at some of the cheaper ES or AT to hold me over.

If I don't find anything then at least I enjoy the social side of seeing a lot of familar faces.

Dean

#11 BCB

BCB

Undercover Saboteur

• Loc: Look over your shoulder

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

Ill be showing up with my son as a visitor for the first time in YEARS of attending as a vendor.. Forgot where the darn front door is.. :grin: Kinda stinks I'll not be behind the cam for the annual CN show walkthrough.. :(

#12 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'll be there but I wish that NEAF didn't take place on the same weekend as National Astronomy Day once again.

Dave Mitsky

#13 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

I'll be there but I wish that NEAF didn't take place on the same weekend as National Astronomy Day once again.

From one Dave to another, I couldn't agree more. This will be the second year in a row that I've missed our club's event at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. Bummer big-time.

#14 galaxyman

galaxyman

Vendor - Have a Stellar Birthday

• Vendors
  • Loc: Limerick, Pa

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

I'll be there as I have with all of them.

I'll be wearing a Galaxy Log t-shirt, and keeping tabs on my friend and club mate Mr. Mitsky, since now he's gone BIG time with a new dob. Don't want him blowing all his money on completing his set of Ethos and Delos eyepieces :smirk:

Karl
E.O.H.

Chesmont Astronomical Society - www.chesmontastro.org
Galaxy Log - http://www.youtube.c...65?feature=mhee
Galaxy Log Blog - http://galaxylog.blogspot.com/
HASB - http://www.haveastellarbirthday.com
Telekit (Swayze optics) 22" F/4.5 Dob
Homemade (Parks Optics) 12.5" F/4.8 Dob
TMB/APM 8" f/9 Refractor”The Beast”. One great DEEP SKY achro
ES 6" f/6.5 achro. Good one
Celestron Omni XLT 102 refractor.
Celestron 10x60mm Binos

#15 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

Dave Mitsky

Why are *you* going Dave? ....now that you have that new super-Dob (which messed up our North East weather for the last month or so).

Oh wait, the vendors want to sell you lots of other stuff you just *need* for the new scope! :grin:

#16 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

I'll be wearing a Galaxy Log t-shirt, and keeping tabs on my friend and club mate Mr. Mitsky, since now he's gone BIG time with a new dob. Don't want him blowing all his money on completing his set of Ethos and Delos eyepieces :smirk:

Karl
E.O.H.

Celestron 10x60mm Binos

"Dave needs at least $5,000 of additional stuff to make that new Dob work as designed!" ....the vendors of NEAF.

....and we will all be there to help Dave spend his money, so that his Dob works they way we want when we bug him for views..... ;)

#17 galaxyman

galaxyman

Vendor - Have a Stellar Birthday

• Vendors
  • Loc: Limerick, Pa

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

Karl
E.O.H.

Celestron 10x60mm Binos

"Dave needs at least $5,000 of additional stuff to make that new Dob work as designed!" ....the vendors of NEAF.

....and we will all be there to help Dave spend his money, so that his Dob works they way we want when we bug him for views..... ;)

:waytogo: Agreed George

Karl
E.O.H.

Celestron 10x60mm Binos

#18 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

It's been really quiet this year. :sleepy:

I think I'll be there early tomorrow and leave early so I can stop off at Stew Leanard's before it gets too crowded, if I have any money left to buy food. :grin:

#19 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Well there may have been less internet chatter this year, and some vendors didn't attend, but it seems to me more people this year than last year.

NEAF on Sat.

#20 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

I was there 9:00AM and left around 11. Pretty good turnout, but missed Astronomics, APM and thought some vendors scaled back a little with mounts and ota's available for purchase at the show when compared to the last time I was there, two years ago.

#21 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

yeah missed astronomics, lunt, charlie bates solar scopes outside...that's all true.

#22 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• Loc: Long: 81.42 W Lat: 41.21 N

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

Well day #1 at NEAF was nice! Yup, I ended up buying a cool Moonlite focuser again but this time it has a awesome motorized rotator on it too! That is gonna be so neat when I am searching for a guide star for imaging with my Meade SCT! The day started off sor tof light but then by mid afternoon, it really got crowded. Some of the vendors were busy as heck all day long. Not a moment to rest. Others were kind of slow. Tomorrow I am going to spend some time outside at the solar party. The weather here is pretty decent too with scattered clouds and sunshine with temperatures in the mid 50's.

#23 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Well day #1 at NEAF was nice! Yup, I ended up buying a cool Moonlite focuser again but this time it has a awesome motorized rotator on it too! That is gonna be so neat when I am searching for a guide star for imaging with my Meade SCT! The day started off sor tof light but then by mid afternoon, it really got crowded. Some of the vendors were busy as heck all day long. Not a moment to rest. Others were kind of slow. Tomorrow I am going to spend some time outside at the solar party. The weather here is pretty decent too with scattered clouds and sunshine with temperatures in the mid 50's.

:bawling: And I mean that sincerely. :bawling:

#24 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Stayed from 10 to 3, saw Craig and Tammy Temple (master astrophotgraphers) and got the 14MM ES 100.

Going back for a beer at Defiant Brewery.

#25 mark379

mark379

Messenger

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

Neaf was very Quiet this year. I did purchase a c9.25 from High point while up there.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics