• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 bluestar  Happy Birthday!

bluestar

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland Eastern Shore

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

I've been accumulating old eyepieces and am looking for ideas on long term storage. Most did not come with tubes, caps or bolt cases. I do intend to use these on occasion, but do not plan on dis-assembly for internal study.

How do you store yours??

#2 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

Ziplock baggies - really!

#3 The Ardent

The Ardent

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

102 shot glass case

#4 dgreyson

dgreyson

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

I use baggies too, in an aluminum case, but I use all of mine pretty regularly.

#5 Blake Andrews

Blake Andrews

Ranger 4

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

You can send all your unused eyepieces to me and I will properly store them for you!

:grin:

Seriously, good quality ziplock bags can serve you well. Acid free tissue paper and a sturdy acid free box will also do the trick. The biggest enemies are dust and humidity.

Cheers!
Blake

#6 Ruimteman

Ruimteman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

Arrgghh! That shotglass case will give me nightmares. One small earthquake and your doomed! (I should relax, not everyone lives on three fault lines.)

#7 albert1

albert1

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:37 AM

102 shot glass case

Still plenty of room on those two top shelves. ;)

Nice collection!

#8 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

How do you store yours??

In my eyepiece case - they get used.

#9 Happy-Idiot

Happy-Idiot

Stuck with it

• Loc: 3rd Rock

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

Arrgghh! That shotglass case will give me nightmares. One small earthquake and your doomed! (I should relax, not everyone lives on three fault lines.)

That's why its called a shot glass case, if an earthquake hits all the eyepieces fall in one shot. Just kidding that is a gorgeous case. :bow:

I use bolt style containers, Astronomics sells them. I forget where you can get 1" diameter bolts if you are picky about putting them in 1.25" bolts. I also like the Ziploc half/bags, I think they are called snack size bags.

#10 Ron500E

Ron500E

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois, near the River Styx

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

I've been accumulating old eyepieces and am looking for ideas on long term storage. Most did not come with tubes, caps or bolt cases. I do intend to use these on occasion, but do not plan on dis-assembly for internal study.

How do you store yours??

I use containers for medicine without the childproof cap. Many many sizes are available. If you do as much business as I do.... they'll probably just give you some, otherwise they're still pretty inexpensive. I'd bring the eyepieces in just to avoid "suspicion", if you know what I mean.
I use some Avery stick on labels to mark the outside.
Eventually I'll get a hole saw and a nice piece of wood and make a stand but that's when, if ever, I have time.
Kind Regards,

Ron

#11 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

End caps (you can get 0.965 endcaps and plugs from agena astro), 1.25 inch e.p. bolts, clear translucent 35mm plastic film cans are perfect for many. Then in wood, felt lined e.p. boxes.

#12 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

Ok Terra,

It was the felt lined wood box comment that finally prompted me to ante up a ditty on my comparatively hick approach to 18UC's cabinet.

My dad made these book cases before he died. (yes, I know what I just wrote but I've heard similar from people and it just makes me muse "Golly, I hope so")

Felt wood coming up.

Attached Files

#13 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

Top shelf, no margarita.
LAY THEM SIDEWAYS. Well, this is higher dry Colorado and I don't have a pollen problem. I DO have a dust thing. These can lay sideways for years (honestly) and look great on the glass. Otherwise, bolt cases, caps, boxes, and so on. It's common sense really. Note the upright extra Edmund RKEs (ornage band, upper right corner of the Lower shelf). These are in the back up close to the bottom of the shelf above. I just checked them to be sure and the glass is pristine. GOTOs lower right corner with the all brass, all sideways, all just fine.

Ok Terra, the wood boxes on the top shelf are next, and loaded in addition to whats sideways.

Attached Files

#14 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

Yep, felt lined wood boxes. The black top is also felt. The small box has felt lined barrel holes.

Attached Files

#15 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Middle shelves.

If I care about it then it's bolted, boxed, covered, sideways, or something. The yellow circle Japan Passed eyepiece, lower right corner next to the zebras, is a U.O. circle A.

Attached Files

#16 Jon Marinello

Jon Marinello

Apollo

• Loc: Santa Barbara, CA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

I like to use small desiccants packages. I keep them in the large rollaround eyepiece box i have. Then i keep that box in a shed with 3 large 4 lb desiccant tubs with my scopes:

http://www.amazon.co...0_i00?ie=UTF...

jon

#17 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

Bottom shelf margarita, eewwww.

Just tossed if I don't really care. It looks like mostly sideways by default, I'm just not concerned.

Very bottom quality shelf: The Nags and ES 82 N2s are in original boxes in cases with caps. Good grief, if you have a set of ZAO or Clave put them in that shot glass case!
By the way, the Cave Claves went out the door for a good buyers price that was far above the AM high bid, and substantially below my reserve, and buyer and I are both happy.

Attached Files

#18 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

Jon, I'd store mine the same way if I lived on the coast. These cases typically come with dessicant packs that I do monitor, but the lack of humidity here rarely has the packs needing attention.

In spite of a reasonable conclusion, I don't throw them in a grocery bag (paper or plastic) for field use. I'll keep frequent flyers in the case.

Does Meade still make the Tiawan yellow print 4000 or has it all gone China white print now?

Attached Files

#19 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

Put them in a clay pot.. Bury them for 2-6 months. Delish. I like caps and a case with desiccant. Bolt cases are good since its not a completely air tight seal. Not convinced a air tight seal is best unless the air is dry.

#20 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Store them as a plug for your scope. I use them plenty like this. Double duty. Then again it doesn't bother me. Just a quick flip if I have a guest that appreciates the finer details. See all that dust on the top of everything upside? The eyepieces can stay down like this indefinately here and be beautifull.

Attached Files

#21 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

MMM, I like kimchi too, haven't tried the ep version.

LAST POST (yeayyyy?) and a rare one. This one eyepiece is rather highly radio active, seriously, made with Thorium in the glass. Tested with a Geiger counter. The metal fabric lined sack in the box is original military issue. I store this with the extra foil wrap around it, in another box, in the basement....

Attached Files

#22 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Neil, you should keep that eyepiece in your pocket 24/7 to keep a close eye on it...

#23 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Thorium in the glass

What is the point of that? Sounds deliberate, if it comes in a metal-wraped bag.

#24 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Loc: Blue Island Illinois

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

I like to keep mine in vintage instrument cases(which are quite fun to collect on their own!). I am especially fond of optical comparator cases, as they were very expensive back in the day. Consequently construction and woods are top-notch.

#25 dgreyson

dgreyson

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

Thorium in the glass

What is the point of that? Sounds deliberate, if it comes in a metal-wraped bag.

By adding thorium to the glass, a high refractive index (over 1.6) can be achieved while maintaining a low dispersion. Self-irradiation of the lens leads to a gradual darkening of the glass that reduces light transmission over time. As a result, it is not unusual to see a reddish brown color to the originally clear glass of older lenses.

Thoriated lenses were ok for Cameras, but are not really a good idea for an eyepiece where you keep it in close contact with your eye. If the eye is positioned close to a thoriated eyepiece, the dose to the eye’s outer tissues can be substantial. Casarett et al, assuming that an individual used an eyepiece containing 16% thorium for 20 hours per week, estimated a dose of 44 rad at a depth of 50 um, and 18 rad at a depth of 60 um. Given a quality factor of 20, this would equate to 880 rem and 360 rem per year respectively. Similar calculations by McMillan and Horne were in general agreement with these numbers. One measurement, as opposed to a theoretical calculation, indicated a dose rate of approximately 1 mrad/hr at the surface of an eyepiece containing 18% thorium.
-- Oak Ridge Associated Universities: Radioactive consumer products.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics