This all Started with a Black C8 OTA

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

Just an update on my Celestron Super Polaris SP-C8. Thought i'd pull her out of the garage for a few photos before tucking her away for the soon to be upon us pollen season. This project all started with a black C8 OTA Craigs List find and since I have acquired an very nice early Super Polaris mount, with the C8 dovetail adapter, then acquired a DEC bracket(extremely hard to find item), then found a drive system complete with both older 8 pin RA and DEC motors, old style clutches, original SkySensor goto, also with that purchase I got a much needed 2nd matching counterweight, tripod tray and working polar scope illuminator. All I need now is an illuminated RA Polar finder and carry handle with camera mount and she will be complete. I must say I really love that Super Polaris mount. It is incredibly smooth. I havent spent the time setting up and trying the goto functions. Maybe after pollen season but the drive seems to work really well keeping objects centered. Pretty neat old technology. All in all this has been a fun project building a SP-C8. It's turned out to be a beautiful scope package. Gotta love those "Blonde" legs!!

Attached Files

#2 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

Close up

Attached Files

#3 L. Regira

L. Regira

Mariner 2

• Loc: Theriot, LA 29' 25"N; 90.46W

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

It looks great. If I had to bring it in I would leave it in the living room just so I could look at it every day. Of course I tried that with a few of my scopes in the past and my wife lets them stay for a few days and then asks "When are you going to bring it to the shed?"

#4 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

The wonderfully compact, user friendly super powerful Skysensor goto controller from 1980-90 something??

Anyway got to love those those beautiful blonde legs epecially after a message with Old English! :grin:

Attached Files

#5 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

It looks great. If I had to bring it in I would leave it in the living room just so I could look at it every day. Of course I tried that with a few of my scopes in the past and my wife lets them stay for a few days and then asks "When are you going to bring it to the shed?"

At least she's still "asking" dont get worried until she don't! Then you've got real problems:ooo:

#6 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

The only Celestron I know of that came with the RA illuminated Polar Finder is the Ultima 8. My Ultima 11 did not come with a Polar Finder and my Ulitma 8 came with the straight through illuminated Polar Finer, not the RA version.
The full monty RA cordless illuminated Polar Finder (50mm) is around. Best of luck, I hope you find one.

#7 kansas skies

kansas skies

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

Nice scope - I just love those old C8's. I don't know what your specific level of allergy is, but if the pollen chart shows excessive allergin levels, I'll sometimes wear a mask when observing and that seems to help quite a bit.

Bill

#8 desertrefugee

desertrefugee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

My SP-C6 came with the illuminated polar finder. I think they all did.

#9 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

My SP-C6 came with the illuminated polar finder. I think they all did.

Don't confuse a polar finder with a polar scope. Celestron included a nice Vixen finder scope with the the top of the line fork mounted scopes in the late '80 and early '90s. This isn't a true polar finder, but a RA finder scope with a specialized reticle to assist in setting up the fork's polar alignment.

I think you are correct that the SP came with a standard polar scope that sighted through the center bore of the RA axis. This scope will fit several later mounts including the GP-2 which is sold sans the scope. It will also fit the Orion SVP and the CGEM, too.

#10 Astrosetz

Astrosetz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Nice! Love it -- great job putting it all together!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics