Photo

Strange spot on HIP66004

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 reedcbr55

reedcbr55

Sputnik

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

I have an image of M51 that I took using the iTelescope.net T20 telescope and camera. While I was processing the photo in Photoshop, I zoomed in on HIP66004 and noticed a strange spot on it. Anyone have any idea what it might be? I've only included a picture of the star here but can share the entire photo, if desired. Just curious

Attached Files

#2 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

Looks like a dead pixel.

#3 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:50 AM

Hi - welcome to CN - artifacts are possible and only identified as 'real' with a second image and slight change scope position eg any artifact 'moves' against the star background. I checked the mag 7 star [east of M51 gxy] on Sloan DSS but too bright and burnt-out!

I appreciate this is difficult with a single shot from I assume a remote scope. Check the frame for other artifacts/ hot pixels etc. For my SN hunting I always take two or more images to avoid false alarms. ;)

#4 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:58 AM

Looks like a dead pixel.

Seems likely. This happens to be amazingly similar to an artist's rendition of an exoplanet transiting a star. But of course the resolution of even a big professional scope with adaptive optics is 1,000 times to low to resolve this star, which lies some 400 light-years away and is no doubt a dwarf (B-V=0.234, spectral class A5, luminosity around 20 Suns, right on the main sequence).

So the "disk" is in fact entirely spurious as, no doubt, is the "planet."

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics