Edge 9.25 or Edge 11?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hi, I think this has been asked a bit and I've done some reading here on it, but I'm asking again. ;)

I'm looking to buy an EdgeHD, mostly for visual, but also to shoot with my Canon Eos 7d... and I want to take advantage of Celestron's sale right now before the end of the month. But I just can't decide between the C9.25 or the C11... the weights are pretty similar 113lbs vs 120lbs (with the CGEM mount). The size of the OTA isn't hugely different either, 2" difference in length and the obvious difference in the diameter. Now, I probably won't be taking this thing out of my backyard too often, but I will a few times a year for sure.

The real question is the balance between price and light gathering capability. $500 difference, aperture of 2350mm vs 2800mm, light gathering of 1127x vs 1600x. I know what those numbers all mean, but not enough to put it into a real world difference in what I'm going to actually see.

I know if I had more time I could probably find some folks who own these scopes and take a look, but the sale is coming to an end 3/31 and seeing has been pretty lame the last week or so.

I have been looking at photos taken with Edge scopes and honestly the Edge 14 just blows my mind. But that thing's a monster, so heavy and WAY more expensive... mostly due to the CGE Pro mount. Now the photos I've seen taken with the 11 are also pretty fantastic too, and even some with the 9.25 and the 8... but I definitely see a difference in the 11.

I've seen a lot of people very happy with the Edge 8, but I wonder was that choice born more out of portability, price or what?

So... is going from the 9.25 to the 11 worth the $550 price difference and the modest size and weight increase? Will having more aperture help my ability to see more in a red/orange zone? I'm kinda thinking it is, and I really just want to buy this thing once with room to grow, and not regret it... I know it sounds like I have my mind made up, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger. :bawling:

I wanted to solicit more experienced opinions. Thanks!

#2 RossSackett

RossSackett

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Memphis, TN

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

11! You know you want it... And I faced the same choice a month ago and I need you to validate my decision. :o

#3 Zoomster

Zoomster

Vendor - Clear Sky Adventures

• Vendors
  • Loc: Tampa FL

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Astronomers Golden Rule #1: If all else is equal go with more apeture, better resolution, more light gathering, etc. As long as the added weight and size make no difference for you....Do It. I went from an eight to eleven and have never regretted it and can't see going back unlesss some unforseen circumstance, i.e. health, forces me to.

#4 RossSackett

RossSackett

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

More seriously, I love my CPC EdgeHD 1100, but those few extra pounds on the top-end meant a big lift (until I put it all on a cart) and chill-down no doubt takes longer. Also, local seeing from my urban location (and the fact that Memphis seems to be a jet-stream magnet) means I rarely get to take advantage of the improved resolution. Just things to keep in mind. But I'm glad I got the 11; the 14" was never a resonable option since I observe alone and already have an 18" dob anyway.
Ross

#5 telfish

telfish

Messenger

• Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

If you are going to use Hyperstar with your canon, and it screams to be used. Then go for the 11 inch scope.

Hell go for it anyway!

#6 mikertx

mikertx

Mariner 2

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

I've owned a C11 OTA (not Edge) for many years and it's not that hard to manage. Except for the C9.25 "magic" I haven't seen much use for this space between the very portable 8" and the better light grasp of the 11". A good friend has the C14 and it's a whole different ballgame.

+1 for the C11 Edge!

Mike

#7 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

All other things being equal, the C11 hands down. And if you want to use it more often, build it a shed :grin:

Clear Skies,
Brian

Attached Files

#8 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

Thanks guys! Well, no one seems interested in saving me money! LOL!

Yeah, I thought about longer cool down, dew and stuff like that... seems like I could uses those fans that Deep Space Products sells if it turns out to be an issue... right now this rasslefrackin' haze and cirrus clouds are my issue. ;)

Its good to hear that the 11 isn't that bad of a beast to manage, I'm in reasonably good shape so I think I've got many good years left to wrangle a bigger sized OTA.

RossSacket, I'm curious what kind of cart to you use? That might be a handy way to move mine around from the garage to the backyard.

Also, how sensitive is the collimation to moving this thing around?

I haven't yet considered a Hyperstar... I still have a LOT to learn about astrophotography, but I will look into it! :)

#9 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

I have owned both scopes. C9.25 for 8 years and C11 Edge for almost 3 years. For visual, I would go for C11 Edge hands down. I have sold it very recently (the new owner will pick it up in 2 weeks time from me). I am downisizing to a C8 Edge. I was using the 11" only for imaging mostly. I've decided I didn't needed that big a scope for imaging.

So my advice will be go for the 11" if you gonna use it mostly for visual. If you gonna use it for imaging most of the time, go with a C8 Edge or C9.25 Edge.

C11 is also a monster to setup and tear down every time.

Good luck!

#10 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

Oh, since you mention Hyperstar, if you plan to use this with a DSLR, then the minimum would be C9. A DSLR is just too big for C8.

#11 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Yeah I was kinda thinking my 7d would be too big for an 8-inch scope.

#12 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

7D is too big for C11 as well, I mean to use with Hyperstar.

#13 RossSackett

RossSackett

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

CPC EdgeHD 1100 and Tak FS102 APO on modified trash cart. That's a spare corrector-cover with Baader astrosolar film. The cart remains attached in use; the handles raise for transport. The assembled rig lives in my garage shop. I blast the whole thing with a shop fan for cool down, and have vent fans to keep up with the cooling evening.

Attached Files

#14 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

Whoa! That's a crazy clever frankenrig! Thanks for showing it. I'm always amazed at what people come up with! :)

#15 titanio

titanio

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Alicante, Spain

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

A friend of mine had the C11 HD edge telescope, my friend like a lot observing the planets and moon, he told me he was disappointed with that telescope, he also had a Masutov M815D with sital optics. So I didn´t buy a C11 Edge and I bought a C9,25 HD edge, This telescope is amazing and I am very happy wit it, yes I cannot speak about a C11 edge telescope, what I can say is I had a C11 made in USA and the C9,25 HD is much more better, the stars are pinpoints at to the edge.

Toni

#16 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

Interesting, titanio. So your friend say WHY he was disappointed in the Edge 11? Especially since you really like your Edge 9.25... they are the same design. Maybe he got a defective one...

Do you do planetary observing?

#17 titanio

titanio

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

Hi WesC
My friend didn´t told about the problem with his C11 Edge, he told me he love his c 9, 25 standard unit and that it was much better than a Intes MK9 he used to have, maybe he got a defective c11 edge or the telescope had another problem, what I know is that C9,25 telescopes have something special, specially for planets .
Yes I do planetary observing but also I like deep sky.

Toni

#18 Dan Finnerty

Dan Finnerty

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

Now that is one of the most bizzare, innovative approaches I've seen for scope transport. Positively Ghetto (in a good way!) :)

#19 Arizona-Ken

Arizona-Ken

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Edge 11. In two years you won't remember the price difference, but you will be glad you got the bigger scope.

Arizona Ken

#20 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

I've seen a lot of people very happy with the Edge 8, but I wonder was that choice born more out of portability, price or what?

I got the Edge 8 because of price and portability, plus I already have a CPC1100. :smirk: The Edge 8" also rides on the CGEM with the extra gear needed for astroimaging very well. For astrophotography, I think the 8" is the CAT's meow, pun intended. :smirk: By the time you load up the CGEM with a C11 plus a guide scope, camera, etc you will be pushing the envelope.

For visual, the 11" would definitely be a great choice. But for visual only, the CPC fork mount is much easier to use.

Patrick

#21 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

Thanks for your thoughts Patrick. :)

#22 RossSackett

RossSackett

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:15 AM

Now that is one of the most bizzare, innovative approaches I've seen for scope transport. Positively Ghetto (in a good way!) :)

I use this set-up as my utility scope so it needs to be easy to move around my yard. The arrangement isn't very pretty but it is highly functional. Unlike the more common "trike" carts the legs are firmly planted on the ground when the scope is in use. I also like having the the eyepiece bag suspended on the cart. There's a bracket that holds my 12V battery, with a light pointing forwards to illuminate the path when I'm rolling. I'm considering adding hooks for my observing chair, as well: one roll and you're good to go.

It works great on pavement and fine on the lawn, but I would love a wider wheelbase to reduce the side-to-side sway on the lumpy lawn. When I have some time I'll get out the welder and build a more elegant cart, but for now this will do nicely.

Ross

#23 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the "shove" guys... I placed my order for the CGEM 1100 HD Edge this morning with Astronomics.

Now... the wait. Because, you know, its backordered... of course. ;)

#24 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

Congratulations!

#25 titanio

titanio

Mariner 2

• -----