Stellarvue Finder scope - Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday in May. I told her I would like a better finder scope. I am thinking of the Stellarvue but I am not sure if I want the 9x50 or the 10x60. Also, can it be used for wide field astrophotography?

#2 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

Well I had one and at first was good, but soon there after the swivel got sloppy and would lose alignment with scope, dumped it and went with a telrad...
Kasey

#3 coutleef

coutleef

Soyuz

• Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:37 AM

Not for astro photo, i do not think so. I like the 50 but never used the 60. It may become a little bit heavy for a 8 se. I now use a orion raci 9x50 and as a finder it is very satisfying

#4 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

Not for astro photo, i do not think so. I like the 50 but never used the 60. It may become a little bit heavy for a 8 se. I now use a orion raci 9x50 and as a finder it is very satisfying

What I was thinking is something that I can use to get a pic of the whole moon, but at the same time it's a finder scope. Something that can pull double duty. What I am asking might not even be possible.

#5 spiphoto

spiphoto

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

I have not had any luck with my stellarvue 9x50 for either guiding or phototography. The scope will go in and out of focus depending upon the angle of the OTA. You might look at the straight through 9x50 stellarvue. I am not sure but it might not suffer quite so much when mounting a camera or guider. The helical focuser is just not stiff enough to hold the weight.

#6 barbarosa

barbarosa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: "lamorinda", CA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

The SV finders are top notch, I have an SV50 and bought an extra shoe so I can switch it easily between a C5 and a CPC1100.

I'm not sure I understand the problem that Kasey described, but you should know that rotating the EP/prism de-centers the cross hairs and can require you to realign the finder to the main OTA. But I have the EP tilted slightly out and leave it in this compromise position.

These finders do work with other EPs but not all others. I've tried it with an SCB-2000 video camera but could not reach focus.

#7 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

Hey David, long time no see... My 9.25 is wedge mount and can be a neck kinker using alignment scope and the stellar I had kept losing alignment rotating the EP to use it when scope inverted somewhat,, went to telrad and works for me on Wedge, don't have to have eyeball married to EP LOL.
Kasey :jump:

#8 mitaccio

mitaccio

Viking 1

• Loc: Oahu, Hawaii

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

I opted for the 60mm and love it. I bought the straight through and RACI backs. I use mine as a rich field telescope and as a finder. It does have some challenges in holding focus, so I added a locking screw to both focusers. There is a good video of it on Youtube. Look for stellarvue finder. Easy and effective.

#9 barbarosa

barbarosa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: "lamorinda", CA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

Hey David, long time no see... My 9.25 is wedge mount and can be a neck kinker using alignment scope and the stellar I had kept losing alignment rotating the EP to use it when scope inverted somewhat,, went to telrad and works for me on Wedge, don't have to have eyeball married to EP LOL.
Kasey :jump:

Hey Kasey, cloudy nights are keeping me indoors. I am seriously considering a pier and wedge. A new finder was not in the plan :( I'll put the SV back on the C5 ; perhaps it's time for a laser.

#10 FishInPercolator

FishInPercolator

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NYC

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hi mitaccio,

Would you mind if I asked to see a picture of the locking screws? I'm going to purchase the straight through 60mm SV finder and was interested in using it with a Samsung SCB-4000 video camera and an an imaging camera. It's all experimentation at this point. My primary OTA is going to be a C6 for portability and DSO visual.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics