CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Adding color for viewing with Baader film

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 geminijk

geminijk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

I'm acquiring an AstroZap filter, that is very neutral in color. In fact, I think it renders the Sun in a slight bluish hue. During outreach, I am wanting to produce a more "typical" image of the Sun with this filter, say orange or yellow/orange. Is it as simple as placing a standard #21 orange filter in the eyepiece, or someone recommend another perhaps?

John

#2 Zamboni

Zamboni

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

That's really all it takes. I tend to prefer a #12 Yellow for outreach work as it gives better sunspot and faculae contrast than the orange while still rendering an "expected" sun color.

#3 mhilscher

mhilscher

Vostok 1

• Loc: Cologne, Germany

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

me too I use the baader yellow and really enjoy it.

#4 geminijk

geminijk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

Super, thanks Zamboni.

John

#5 JimK

JimK

Skygazer

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

A previous post of mine on CN (click here) provided some information on using color filters for solar viewing. Although originally written regarding a Herschel wedge (prism) inquiry, I found the results also apply to solar film use.

Color filters are *not* needed to enjoy white light viewing, but since I had most of them already, the results were interesting to me. And in response to a question on how significant the effect was, I mentioned in another post (click here) that any effects were rather small. Actually, I should have mentioned that using a Wratten #15 (deep yellow) filter had a dramatic effect (for *me*) when searching for sunspots on the solar disk.

Perception is *everything* so try filters with an open mind, with an understanding that what someone says is okay for them may *not* be okay for you.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics