• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 geminijk

geminijk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

I'm acquiring an AstroZap filter, that is very neutral in color. In fact, I think it renders the Sun in a slight bluish hue. During outreach, I am wanting to produce a more "typical" image of the Sun with this filter, say orange or yellow/orange. Is it as simple as placing a standard #21 orange filter in the eyepiece, or someone recommend another perhaps?

John

#2 Zamboni

Zamboni

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

That's really all it takes. I tend to prefer a #12 Yellow for outreach work as it gives better sunspot and faculae contrast than the orange while still rendering an "expected" sun color.

#3 mhilscher

mhilscher

Vostok 1

• Loc: Cologne, Germany

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

me too I use the baader yellow and really enjoy it.

#4 geminijk

geminijk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

Super, thanks Zamboni.

John

#5 JimK

JimK

Skygazer

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

A previous post of mine on CN (click here) provided some information on using color filters for solar viewing. Although originally written regarding a Herschel wedge (prism) inquiry, I found the results also apply to solar film use.

Color filters are *not* needed to enjoy white light viewing, but since I had most of them already, the results were interesting to me. And in response to a question on how significant the effect was, I mentioned in another post (click here) that any effects were rather small. Actually, I should have mentioned that using a Wratten #15 (deep yellow) filter had a dramatic effect (for *me*) when searching for sunspots on the solar disk.

Perception is *everything* so try filters with an open mind, with an understanding that what someone says is okay for them may *not* be okay for you.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics