Photo

Encoder shaft connection?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Vanguard

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Recently was shown some stainless steel bellows shaft connectors, for 1/4 inch shafts, after describing to the salesman the problem of compensation for mismatches in parallelism, angles, and separation , when mounting an encoder.

I bought a few surplus/used specimens , and later Googled these devices, finding that these things are $$ if new.

What is the usual practice for telescopes or robotics?

U-joints, similar to automotive driveshaft links, either all-metal, or polymer, or a mix? Or, a length of small diameter rubber or other polymer tubing? Or, those expensive bellows-style connectors?

#2 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

I've used Vacuum line from the auto store many times. Kept an extra couple of inches in the EP box. Not sure how pliable it stayed when going down into the single digits but then, I wasn't willing to find out :lol:

#3 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

What is the usual practice for telescopes or robotics? U-joints, similar to automotive driveshaft links, either all-metal, or polymer, or a mix? Or, a length of small diameter rubber or other polymer tubing? Or, those expensive bellows-style connectors?

All of the above.

#4 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

Also consider belts- they solve certain problems.

-Rich

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics