Brush Seals and Domes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 James_826

James_826

Explorer 1

• Loc: Beggs, Ok

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Has anyone used brush seals to seal up around the bottom of your dome or on the shutter? I am talking about something like this:
Image of brush seal.

I was thinking about getting two sets, one for the inside track and one for the outside track. They seem to come in a bunch of different materials and sizes and should fit nicely. Here are the gaps I am wanting to seal up.

Here is the inside gap.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The idea being to mount the brush seal on the steel beam that the wheels are welded to and the brushes would run against the steal the wheels run on. Then have a second set of brush seals on the outside game which they would be mounted hangers holding the rubber weather seal up and brushing against the building.

Posted Image

Has anyone found this to be good solution to keep some of the dust, water and animals out?

#2 John P

John P

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Honeoye Falls, NY USA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

I used a similar product that came in strips to seal between the sidewalks and roll off roof several years ago. I was trying to keep wasps and bats out. Worked well and only added a little rolling resistance. Both the bats and the wasps managed to find other points of entry however. The bats were ok but I didn't like the stinging creatures.

#3 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

I used a brush seal (from McMaster-Carr) to seal the top track of my shutter. It seems to do the trick nicely.
Michael

#4 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

I have used vinyl garage door sealing strips in the past with good success.

Attached Files

#5 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

I was looking at using something like the brushes as well for my roll-off. I'm concerned about the total amount of friction given the size of contact I'll have. I'm also not sure if I'd do better putting them on the outside or inside of the rail. I'd be interested in other experiences.

Beo

#6 Peter L.

Peter L.

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: PEI, Canada

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

Has anyone used brush seals to seal up around the bottom of your dome or on the shutter? I am talking about something like this.

Where can you source those? I've been looking for something exactly like that to seal around the shutter. I think it's the only thing that will work given the curve of the shutter opening.

Thanks,
Peter

#7 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:34 AM

McMasters-Carr.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics