• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wrg

wrg

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

Does anyone else have the new Nova Hitch on order,

Charles has the finished mount up on his website.

I'm hoping mine ships soon, all I can say is I think it's

his nicest mount to date

#2 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

I have one on order, can't wait to get it. Lookin sweeeeeet!!!!!

#3 Daud

Daud

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

I wanted one but the price moved up a day before I wanted to make the order. I will need to wait for them to show up on the secondary market. My TMB 105 Classic would definitely look "classic" on this mount....even similar knobs :-)

#4 D.Briden

D.Briden

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Midlands, UK

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:25 AM

I have one on order also - due in the cloudy UK in the next month or so I believe....

I agree, it looks robust and beautiful ('engineering art') - at last I will have a mount befitting my TSA102s and Ethos eyepieces ;-)

Ordered with the additional encoders, SkyCommander and the new digital tracking unit (to follow as Charles believes it will be tested and finalised around 2-3 months time) - soon I will be able to enjoy uninterrupted sketching at the eyepiece!

Just added the clutch cam-locks as well to my order - more money, but worth it in the long run - well, that's what I keep telling myself ;-)

Can't wait to get it in my hands now...

Damian

PS Then I will have to start saving for that TEC140 that I have been promising myself - wife permitting that is!

#5 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:57 AM

Damian, what does that mount cost rigged the way you have?

#6 D.Briden

D.Briden

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

Right now, you would be talking in the region of about $3,500 (+ taxes where applicable and shipping on top), so not an insubstantial amount I grant you!

But taking into consideration the quality of the virgin materials, dediated workmanship and levels of bespoke craftsmanship and engineering skill visible in the final product, I think it is a very fair price point that Charles has tried to offer.... and should provide me with hours of enjoyment (if the cloud ever clears that is!)

It has certainly been a labour of love for him over the last year as he has continued to refine his creation, even near to the moment of its release into the marketplace.

I could have chosen to spend my money on so many alternatives, both Alt/Az (what I prefer for visual) and a GEM (I already have a Tak EM400 for astro imaging - one GEM is enough!) - even the 'hybrid' that is the new EQ6-GT.

Not many (if any) Alt/Az mount currently available though offer so much: slow motion controls, encoders, digital tracking and his answer to 'balance', all wrapped up into such a work of art. As a graphic designer by trade, the look of the product was also an important part of the buying decision.

To be honest, I have admired the Half Hitch family of mounts from afar for ages, never being in a financial position to purchase one - still love the slender lines of the 'Super' variant over the more muscular Nova if I'm being truthful, but I'm sure that once I have it, I will fall in love with it's form and functionality - plus I know that it can take something more substantial in the future!

As the saying goes; 'you pay you money and take your chances'... with the Nova's heritage, I'm not expecting to be taking 'any chances' though!

Perhaps I should mention that I did purchase mine "off plans" way back in September 2012 at a discounted price (when Charles was trying to entice 'early adopters' to purchase his new Nova Hitch, thereby getting some penetration into the marketplace - although I feel it would be improper to disclose the amount I paid.

Photos and reviews from ecstatic customers I'm sure are on the horizon!

Regards,

Damian

#7 D.Briden

D.Briden

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

A picture from the site - if you have not ventured there yet!

Damian

Attached Files

#8 M44

M44

Ranger 4

• Loc: SoCal.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Photos and reviews from ecstatic customers I'm sure are on the horizon!

Damian, The mount looks incredible albeit at a cost.

When are you guys expecting the first shipment and yours? It's not too bad if you can receive the mount in months of placing the order. Good luck!

Looking forward to see the pictures and field reports.

#9 D.Briden

D.Briden

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

The answer to that question is somewhat mixed!

I understand from the updates that Charles has posted on the Nova's Yahoo User Group, that shipments of the 'base' model, ie a Nova, minus the encoders and tracking motors should start to ship in about a weeks time - so the start of April.

Novas requiring the additional parts will follow on in a rolling cycle... so hopefully I will be in receipt of mine come the end of April.

Then another wait of a month or two for the digital, trainable tracking unit (the mount can still be used without this part - even with the motors equipped), and then there is just the 'minor' issue of a tripod that is up to the task!

My Manfrotto 058B Triaut Tripod is woefully inadequate, but may have to suffice until I can procure the one that does the set-up justice.

>>>Looking forward to see the pictures and field reports.

Yep, me too! 'All good things come to those that wait!'

Thanks for the 'good luck' message also!

Clear skies...

Damian

#10 richsvt

richsvt

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: North Shore of Boston

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

That is a seriously beautiful mount. I was going to order one when the price was lower but things got complicated and I put it off. Now I am regretting it. If I can find some funds later this year, I may place an order. I hope he doesn't wait to put out a second batch for too long...

#11 M44

M44

Ranger 4

• Loc: SoCal.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

I asked the question about delivery because I was one of the early adopter of the earlier mount "Super halfhitch" and I am sad to say it was never materialized for me after 14 months of waiting. Good things didn't come to me after this wait. I had the chance to wait longer for Nova Hitch but I opted out.

Pardon my skepticism, based on my prior experience, I will be pleasantly surprised if you can receive the fully loaded Nova Hitch by end of this summer. I am book marking this thread to check back in few months.

In anticipating Superhalfhitch delviery, I purchased a Berlebach planet tripod. Now it carries my AYOdigi mount and couldn't be happier ( like saying "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush"). The AYOdigi won't have the zero gravity of hitch mounts but it handles my bigger refractors effortlessly and stops where I want it to stop with very little backlash.

You should consider Berlebach Planet if you see a TEC 140 in your future irrespective of the mount you will end up with in future. Based on the reviews, You can also look at Rob Millers Tripods for a lighter setup (10 lbs tripod instead of 24 lbs with Planet).

#12 Daud

Daud

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

If the price would stay in the $1300 range, many more orders would be flowing in...

#13 Quintessence

Quintessence

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

Most of the price escalation for the Nova Hitch has occurred because the mount design was seriously upgraded from the original spec. As first proposed the Nova Hitch was simply to be a scaled up version of the first Mini Hitch, with a capacity of about 20 pounds. As evolved, the Nova Hitch now has a capacity of about 40 pounds and has been refined in virtually every detail -- for instance, it now contains 20 roller and ball bearings. The current design includes cam-lock brakes, no-tool counterweight-free two-axis balancing, and extensive weight-reducing pocketing -- just to mention a few of the upgrades.

While I honored those early prices, the cost of parts alone for the evolved Nova Hitch exceeds the originally posted price. So, orders placed now are not getting an "inferior" deal. The mount has simply been dramatically upgraded -- and new orders must reflect the actual cost of manufacture.

Also among the upgrades is that the revised Nova Hitch will seamlessly accept a well-integrated electronic tracking system. The original design for the Nova Hitch did not allow for this.

The first Nova Hitch was actually delivered today to a customer who lives here in Austin and will provide some beta testing before general shipments start in about ten days (or less). Perhaps he will chime into this discussion, but I think he was totally stunned when he saw the Nova -- despite seeing photos first.

There are still some units left in the first production run. The lead time on new orders is currently about five weeks -- until the first batch of mounts is exhausted. By the end of the year, the average wait for a Nova Hitch should be about three weeks -- but this, of course, could be affected by exceptional demand.

Charles

#14 Quintessence

Quintessence

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

Post deleted by iceblaze

#15 riverlaw

riverlaw

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

I have an order for mount and encoders, and tripod. I might jump for the tracking after I have seen some reviews.

A TSA 102 is waiting. Sometime I would like to move to the TEC 140 so this single mount will be great for both.

#16 D.Briden

D.Briden

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

Sounds like we have the same kit 'riverlaw' - my TSA is trembling in its case with anticipation!

Sometime I would like to move to the TEC 140 so this single mount will be great for both.

Yes, they were my thoughts exactly - "future proofed"...

I see you are going for the tripod as well - do you have one to use in the meantime (Berlebach Planet or similar)?

Clear skies to you when it finally drops!

Damian

#17 riverlaw

riverlaw

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

Hi Damian, My first scope was an omni120 on a cg4 mount and tripod. So this is the TSA mount till the nova. I can not wait for the nova as I really want to a be able to push around the scope and learn the sky. Also I have been super busy so I have not had much time with the new to me TSA. This summer should be a different story!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics