Making a case for my C14

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

I want to make a case for my C14. It will be stored in my detached, unheated/uncooled, sometimes moist concrete floor garage.
My goals are
1. build it myself out of 'Home Depot' type materials.
2. humidity proof or highly resistant.
3. as light as possible, assuming plywood, 3/8"
4. movable with attached wheels/casters
5. C14 to be stored corrector side down, so that both handles can be accessed and grabbed easily.
6. Utilize the foam from the shipping box or duplicate it to use in the case
7. To be used to transport in a hatchback car.
8. I'd like to keep my feathertouch focuser on the OTA so that makes it quite longer than just the normal OTA.

I took the inside measurements of the original box as a starting point. I thought that the case would be a 'reveal' case, meaning that the bottom would be 20% of the height, and the top, the 80%. Use buckles to secure. That way, you would take the top off, and the OTA would be easy to lift up, with out hitting the edge of the box. It could be then sat upon the top of the box, as a resting spot before mounting, using the 'the C14 is a small telescope' procedure.
Now I could either put casters on the bottom, or have a separate base with longer out riggers with the casters/wheels put on it.
Now any ideas how to make it fairly humidity proof. Marine Urethane? Poly?. I guess on all sides and inside. Then I would put those rechargeable moisture absorbing silicone desiccant packet inside for sucking up the humidity.
I would either use the original foam, or buy closed cell dense foam from suppliers on ebay.
Any ideas, improvements, other things you'd suggest?
thanks
Bob

#2 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

Have you looked at making a road type case?

diyroadcase.com and reliablehardware.com

reliable has some videos on youtube about how to construct one. You could use sealant in the case construction and a gasket in the lid and make it pretty moisture resistant. The ABS over regular plywood should be moisture resistant.

#3 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

It will be stored in my detached, unheated/uncooled, sometimes moist concrete floor garage.

From what you're describing I think you'll be fighting a losing battle with the humidity. You might consider covering the scope with something like a Telegizmo's 365 cover. You could then use moisture absorbing silicone desiccant packets inside the cover. Building a box around it certainly wouldn't hurt it.

Patrick

#4 OneDaveT

OneDaveT

Ranger 4

• Loc: IL, USA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

I would suggest doing a quick rough calculation of weight. (3/8" plywood times your outside box surface area + c14) just to make sure you're ok with that.

Active heating might be another humidity control method. If warmed a degree or two inside, perhaps with a night light inside, condensation won't occur, and then you may not want marine poly sealing so that any brought in moisture can disperse by warmth assisted osmosis. In fact you may want to make breathing holes to allow release of missed night dew.

I would suggest not keeping wood box directly on unheated concrete floor. Castor separation is fine, palette or even spare 2x4 scraps to create air gap between wood box and floor would work.

Enjoy,
Dave

#5 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

I built a wooden box out of 1/2" plywood, handles, lid, hardware and some very cool speckled paint that resembles stats. It was very cool. It was for my C9.25. After it was all done and loaded with my C9.25 and a few accessories it was too heavy to lift let alone carry around.
Keep this in mind.

#6 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

I just purchased the Husky Workbox, #896560, from the Home Depot for $59 for my C14. Exterior dimensions 38x23x23. It has wheels and a handle that extends out for easy barrowing. When cockroaches inherit the earth, my C14 will still be safe in this box. I also bought a mattress topper from Costco made from memory foam and cut it to fit. The tube is as snug as a bug in a rug and the road vibrations will never reach it.

Attached Files

#7 mikertx

mikertx

Mariner 2

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

This is a great solution Charles! I made a case for my SolarMax II 60 out of a $15 Home Depot toolbox and it works well too.

Mike

#8 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

It will be stored in my detached, unheated/uncooled, sometimes moist concrete floor garage.

From what you're describing I think you'll be fighting a losing battle with the humidity. You might consider covering the scope with something like a Telegizmo's 365 cover. You could then use moisture absorbing silicone desiccant packets inside the cover. Building a box around it certainly wouldn't hurt it.

Patrick

Hey Patrick, yeah, I have 2 of those rechargeable packs already. They're good for 3 cubic feet and have a window that goes to 'pink' when they need to be recharged. You do that by heating them in an oven for 3 hours at 300 degrees.

#9 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

I would suggest doing a quick rough calculation of weight. (3/8" plywood times your outside box surface area + c14) just to make sure you're ok with that.

Active heating might be another humidity control method. If warmed a degree or two inside, perhaps with a night light inside, condensation won't occur, and then you may not want marine poly sealing so that any brought in moisture can disperse by warmth assisted osmosis. In fact you may want to make breathing holes to allow release of missed night dew.

I would suggest not keeping wood box directly on unheated concrete floor. Castor separation is fine, palette or even spare 2x4 scraps to create air gap between wood box and floor would work.

Enjoy,
Dave

The weight is a worry of mine. I wish there was some thick plastic sheeting or panels I could just reinforce at the corners, etc to keep the weight down. After all, its not going on a truck or plane.
I want to use castors or wheels so I can roll it easily. I was thinking of them being removable somehow to save room in the same hatchback I have, but that might be unrealistic.
thanks
Bob

#10 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

I just purchased the Husky Workbox, #896560, from the Home Depot for $59 for my C14. Exterior dimensions 38x23x23. It has wheels and a handle that extends out for easy barrowing. When cockroaches inherit the earth, my C14 will still be safe in this box. I also bought a mattress topper from Costco made from memory foam and cut it to fit. The tube is as snug as a bug in a rug and the road vibrations will never reach it.

I could have sworn I saw this and its interior length was too short for my C14 with the focuser on it. My scope is about 34" tall. What do you think?
Does the memory form compact so much from the C14's weight as to not being protective? What thickness did you start with? That seems to be a lot cheaper than buying this dense closed cell foam I see on ebay.
Since lifting is a concern of mine, are the handles while lying down in this case hard to grab? Or how do you get it out?
Seems like a great idea if I can get my focuser in there too.
thanks for the picture and ideas.
Bob

#11 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Hi again CharlesW. When did you buy this, b/c I can't find it anywhere and actually called them and they said they had no number like that.....dang.

#12 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Does the memory form compact so much from the C14's weight as to not being protective?

That would be my concern with memory foam. I prefer using regular high density foam:
http://www.foambymai...rcoal-foam.html

I used this to create a case for my ATRC6 from a FatMax toolbox.
-Dan

Attached Files

#13 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

I could have sworn I saw this and its interior length was too short for my C14 with the focuser on it. My scope is about 34" tall. What do you think?
Does the memory form compact so much from the C14's weight as to not being protective? What thickness did you start with? That seems to be a lot cheaper than buying this dense closed cell foam I see on ebay.
Since lifting is a concern of mine, are the handles while lying down in this case hard to grab? Or how do you get it out?
Bob

I found it. Of course its not in stock and its internet order only. they have a smaller one, which is the one I saw at the store for $68, but I think its too small on the inside with all the nooks and crannies....

#14 davebuechler

davebuechler

Viking 1

• Loc: Red River Gorge Kentucky

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

I am not sure the dimensions of the C-14 but my AT10TC fits well in this cooler, padded by a down blanket that serves double duty in cold weather. I also put some pillows in the bottom for extra cushion. This photo shows my retired SN8 using some of the original box packing, but same cooler fits my RC as described above.
Also makes a great seat while observing.

Attached Files

#15 davebuechler

davebuechler

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Here's a pic with the RC in it. Inside opening is 35" x 15 x 15.

Attached Files

#16 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

Bob

I found it. Of course its not in stock and its internet order only. they have a smaller one, which is the one I saw at the store for $68, but I think its too small on the inside with all the nooks and crannies....

Well, had to go to the Container Store for something and low and behold they had a rolling container with handle and reinforced lid. It has 2 clicking closures on the ends. The C14 fits perfectly with just a little extra room. Best of all it was $42. :jump: http://www.container...0005098&N=71235 And made in the USA! Now to get a gasket for the lid and a little foam...

#17 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

Bob

Well, had to go to the Container Store for something and low and behold they had a rolling container with handle and reinforced lid. It has 2 clicking closures on the ends. The C14 fits perfectly with just a little extra room. Best of all it was $42. :jump: http://www.container...0005098&N=71235 And made in the USA! Now to get a gasket for the lid and a little foam...

Attached Files

#18 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

another

Attached Files

#19 davebuechler

davebuechler

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

Nice score!!

#20 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

Now you need to accessorize! Here's what I did to mine
:

http://www.cloudynig...d=telescopes...

#21 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

For $42, that's a great deal! (Not to mention the answer to life, the universe, and everything! ;) )

:waytogo:

-Dan

#22 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

For $42, that's a great deal! (Not to mention the answer to life, the universe, and everything! ;) )

:waytogo:

-Dan

Now I just have to figure out what kind of foam the factory uses in the original boxes. Is that closed cell foam? Or?
Bob

#23 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

Not sure about the C14, but many of Celestron's products are shipped in stiff, white, closed cell polyethylene foam.
http://www.foambymai...ylene-foam.html

While that's fine for serious shipping, I prefer the "firm" open cell charcoal foam from foambymail.com for my equipment cases.
http://www.foambymai...rcoal-foam.html
The stiff polyethylene foam is great for packaging and shipping, but the more flexible charcoal foam makes it much easier to get your gear in and out, while still providing plenty of protection.

-Dan

#24 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

I bought the "37 inch Husky Work Box" from the Home Depot in Indio just a few days ago. It was right next to the Stanley box. The Stanley box is too small by a smidgen to fit the scope and more expensive. The SKU I took right off the label still on the box. I could photo the UBC if anyone needed that. As far as weight is concerned, I've loaded and unloaded the box into my P/U, with OTA inside and it's doable, although I am a fairly big person. I choose the memory foam because I drive a minimum of 350 miles a month, as much as 700, with the scope in the back. It's true that the foam is packed in there and it isn't pretty but I needed maximum vibration protection. The foam did squish a little on the primary side so I just slipped another piece in.

#25 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

I have the Meade 14" ACF, I thought about finding a box that I could put the shipping foam into from Meade. Is this advisable, or, should I buy new foam.

Tony

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics