Got to Star Test my AR5 WOW!!! AR6?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

I got my new (used) Ar5 last week but unfortunately spent most of it in the Hospital.
Wife beat me up cause I bough a new scope.... NAW..
I have the LXD-75 mount.
I have heard both good and just OK reviews about these.
The 127mm is perfect with the LXD-75 mount. I had the LXD-55
and tho OK it wasn't nearly as smooth or stable as the 75.
My first target was Jupiter everything looks good while I tweek the finder.
Time to jump the power 8mm RKE Holy COW!! I counted about 8 belts and more detail than I can remember in a long time!
I then put a 4mm Ortho in for laughs, and to my surprise the
image held together.
Color correction was ok there was a little tinge of purple
but nothing as bad as my old Celestron/Vixen 102 Acro. That surprised me.
A star test did not show the normal undercorrection,
collimation was dead on. nice Airy Disk with a bright, clean defraction ring, a much fainter second ring and hint of a 3rd, In and out of focus defraction rings are surprisingly exact. I am wondering how in the world did i get so lucky on this tube, in Mint condidtio, with a new Orion Bag, Meade LPI imager (which has to go) and shipping for a hair under $300.00 shipped..
I don't think I would want to go any bigger because this is a fairly good size scope, and a perfect match to my mount.
I guess the good reviews are true. I tried a minus Violet
filter on it and put it away, it will be on the market soon too.. doesn't need it.
I have a very decent C8 and I must say this gives it a very good run for the money, out performing it on Jupiter.
I'm pretty blown away right now..
I wonder how the AR 6 are and how the 75 mount holds them??
Thanks Dave you were a great honest guy to deal with and packed the scope like a PRO.

#2 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

Amazing what a quick-cooling, unobstructed 5-inches can deliver, ain't it? :grin:

- Jim

#3 mdowns

mdowns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

You know I got one of those way back when they were new and mine performed just as you describe.Like you,I bought a minus V and end up not useing it.Should never had sold that ota.Consistently held up to 300x with very sharp,contrastly images. Interestingly a couple of years ago I bought an apogee 5" f/9 expecting the same kind of performance but it was'nt really close. Glad someone else got another good ar5!

#4 DaveG

DaveG

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

Awesome Larry, glad you are enjoying the AR5. I'm probably going to regret selling it.... haha

It's a great achromat, and the lack of false color really surprised me when I first got it. And like others, had a minus violet filter ready to go, and never needed it. I will never forget the views it provided. Clear skies and I know that you will get more out of it than I ever dreamed.

#5 orion61

orion61

Aurora

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

Thanks Dave and I cant say how much I highly recommend you to others on future sales/trades, Everything from communication, to price, and packing/shipping was first rate!
I have always been a CAT guy and Newtonians. I have to admit Lunar/
Lunar/Planetary/DS, is my primary love the fluid nature of it.
Each system has its own joys, I was really impressed by the fine detail I was able to observe,
I still think the Cat is the best ALL AROUND systen between portability/size/photography, and price, but the Refractor really knocks it out of the park with detail and contrast.
If I had a limitless budget a 30" Refractor on a Mountain is where they would find my frozen corpse... still at the eyepiece..
With my Binoviewer Jupiter really came to life, That is especially important in my Soupy Midwest skys.
The Storm Lake Clear Sky Chart said seeing was 4 of 5, so it was a very good night.
The Moon was up so DSO observing was out of the question, After nearly Blinding myself with the Full Moon, I called it a night but Jupiter was still burned into my mind.
Very happy Dreams last night...
KEEPER!

#6 Wilsonman

Wilsonman

Surveyor 1

• Loc: S.E. PA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

With regard to the AR-6 Meade achros- they are are good scopes- quite versatile indeed! Many have felt that it's too big for the LXD-75, but I found it to be OK if care was exercised with tightening and proper balance- vibration pads can help the setup even more. Depending on the individual, an MV filter might be needed more with the 6" than with the AR-5. Even with the AR-6, I usually didn't put a filter in, but I tend not to be as bothered by the CA as some others are. Images are sharp with this scope! :grin:

#7 orion61

orion61

Aurora

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

Thanks..
I used my Minus Violet Orion filter but the yellow tint bothered me more than the CA??
Then tonight I had an idea, I stacked an 80A blue on it and it was MUCH better, and wow did the detail pop out.
The red spot especially, and got a whole nother band I couldn't see before.
I just about sold the MV filter, now I'll keep it..
I'm thinking more better but I think the extra weight and hassle fighting the big tube isn't worth it..
I am thinking of making a short 14" pier for the mount.
I did it for my old Great polaris and it worked out fine!
thanks
Larry

#8 Ed Holland

Ed Holland

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

Hi Larry,

I'm really pleased to read your positive report on the AR-5's optics. May I ask which version it is? There were some produced with collimatable objective cells, and some with a simple fixed cell.

Mine has given a lot of observing enjoyment, and it sounds as if yours is better still. The minimal CA doesn't bother me at all. It is a very practical, especially where there is risk of dew that could jinx an evening out with the 5" Mak or C8

Enjoy!

Ed

#9 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

Yes 5 inches of refractor heaven hits the sweet spot for sure .
I have an Istar 127mm f8 Achro and a Synta 150mm f/8 achro and the 150mm definatly goes a lot deeper on deep space , its quite amazing how well these 6 inch achros perform on deep space , but on the moon and planets there aint much between them .
I aint bothered by CA as well and the 127mm has a lot less , sweet size alright .
Brian.

#10 orion61

orion61

Aurora

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

I wish I would have taken my buddys offer to sell me his 6" Christiam triplet in the 80's for $1700.00 AAARRRGHH :foreheadslap: :bawling: :nonono:
I'm over it now, well.. almost..

#11 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

I've got my LXD75 AR6 outside right now observing stars and planets in full daylight (something refractors are good at). The LXD75 handles the AR6 just fine. You just gotta watch the balance. I also use quiet slew. I've also added an Orion SVP pier extension to my mount which makes it much easier to raise the scope up to a comfortable height.

#12 belgrade

belgrade

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, TX

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

LXD75 mount is (was) generally under appreciated. It's a solid mount for visual work - even w a 6" achro - and ok for a very short shots of the moon, for example.
  • Starrancher II likes this

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics