Deforked Meade on Celestron forks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 palmer570

palmer570

Vostok 1

• Loc: Scranton, Pennsylvania

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

I have a older C8 on forks with a cracked corrector plate and was planning on eventually replacing the OTA. I saw a older deforked meade for sale on the CNC and was curious if you could mount a meade on the celestron forks or is it too wide to possibly fit?

#2 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

It has been done, but you will need to machine parts or adapters. I have. seen a C11 on Meade LX200 forks. The guy who did was a machinist by occupation. Not sure about an 8in. It might be easier to try and find a new OTA.

#3 palmer570

palmer570

Vostok 1

• Loc: Scranton, Pennsylvania

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

Do you happen to remember if the forks were modded or just the plates between the OTA and forks?

I figured some mods/fabs would be needed but as long as I can fit a plate between the forks and ota I can get it made for free and do the drilling tapping myself. I kind of have a machine shop at my disposal, I just have to bribe my dad or his coworkers with food and/or beer for the machines I cannot run lol.

I probably won't try to fit a meade, too many other things to buy for my working scope lol, but was curious incase I saw a deal on a OTA.

#4 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

BOTH.. different width and bolt patterns..
I put an old Orange tube on an LX3 mount for Astrophotography way back when... then found out the old spur system had as little or less PE than the LX...
bUT going DC was great...it turned a lot of heads..

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics