• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frobi6852

frobi6852

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

Hi All,

have decided to get the ASA AstroSysteme DDM60 Pro and need advice from people who have owned this mount. This mount will be portable so I am looking for a portable pier or tripod that will handle the mount with a 8" EdgeHD+hyperstar 3 with filter drawer, Starlight xpress SXVR-H18 CCD, Starlight instruments Microtouch focuser, Orion short tube 80mm with loadstar guide camera. In the near future I plan on replacing the 8" EdgeHD with a TAK epsilon E-180. So I'm looking at around 35-40 lbs on the mount not counting counterweights. Speaking of counterweights, on the OPT website the description says it comes with 2 counterweights @ 9 lbs, Is this a total of 9 lbs or each?

Thnx All,
Clear Skies.

#2 jjongmans

jjongmans

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

I own a DDM60 Pro, what would you like to know?
The mount comes with 2x 2.6kg counterweights. I have a carbon 10" RC (17kg) on it, and I needed the extended counterweightbar and 3x 5.2kg extra weight to get the setup in proper balance. The performance is outstanding; 0.3" tracking and <10" pointing and no backlash, you won't find anything better. But there will be a steep learning curve, because PID controlled servomotors need proper tuning.

#3 frobi6852

frobi6852

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Do you use it as a portable mount? and what tripod/pier do you use?

#4 jjongmans

jjongmans

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

No, I use it in a permanent setup, images can be found here.

#5 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

I don't own an ASA, but I've read a bit about them.

For a portable setup, you will probably want to look into MLPC. It is the shortened pointing model that you would use for portable setups. After polar alignment, you would tell the mount your target and how long you intend to image it. Then the mount would take a few images along the projected path of the target and model the sky. Most of the process is automated, the amount of time it takes depends on how long you intend to image the specific target.

I cannot tell you specifically how long it would take to setup, but I'd love to hear that from a user.

#6 jjongmans

jjongmans

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

The DDM can be used with two types of sky models:
- MLPT is a declination model mainly intended for mobile setups, disadvantage is that a meridian flip isn't supported in this model.
- All-sky model mainly intended for permanent setups, because it takes more time to create the model.

Most detailed images are shot when the object is in the Zenith position, so most of the time you want to do a meridian flip. As a mobile user you can create an all-sky model with fewer points, so the creation won't take that long...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics