Photo

Will Mark V mount directly to Baader T2 Prism?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Sorry if it has been asked and answered. Will the Quick connector on the Mark V unthread allowing the Mark V to thread right to the top of the Baader Prism?

Thanks!

#2 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

Eddgie,
The only info Ihave seen on replacing the quick release bracket is by Dennis7 with his INOX 2" nosepiece. Do a search in the binoviewer forun for INOX. ( unfortunatly the critical picture for this thread no longer shows up) maybe Dennis can give you the thread size and you can proceed from there?
Rex

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

Ok, not really an option for me then. I was trying to shave off a bit more light path length and though that I might be able to mount the Mark V directly to the diagonal the way the Maxbrights did.

#4 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

Eddgie,
I looked on the Alpine Astro site at the T-2 specification chart, the Quick release bracket for the Mark V is listed as having T thread on both parts.
So with the correct gender adapter ( if needed) it should work. you can set the angle where it tightens by using the baader spacer washers available on the same site.
Rex

#5 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

I've inspected mine and I am not so sure the dovetail on the MkV is t-threaded on the bino side? Maybe. But there is no apparent way to remove the dovetail that I can see, and I'm not prepared to force it off, but it may be possible. I'm sure it is probably threaded on but it may be glued in?

#6 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

link
Johnny,
You asked and Dennis0007dl answered that question in the above thread.
Rex

#7 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

Well, I re-read the thread and did not see an answer as to whether or not the Mk V would thread directly to the though it may be in there.

But I can't get the dovetail off. I am not really excited about the thought of using a vice grip to remove the dovetail, so maybe I will just leave it alone.

I doubt that I could get more than 7mm or 8mm of back focus out of it, so maybe just not worth the trouble.

Thanks to those that responded though. I apprecitate it.

#8 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

Eddgie,
I just tried to unscrew my dovetail using a small strap wrench with a 4" handle and could not move it, (the strap just slipped) so it must be on there rather tightly. I gave up!
Rex

#9 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

Exactly what I tried to do.. Used a rubber strap wrench.

It was just to narrow to get a bite on the rim, and the dovetail was too small to get enough grip.

I am not going to risk biting up the edge by using a Channel-lock pliers or something. As much as I would like to try to save as much back focus as possible, I am not going to risk tearing it up to do that.

Maybe if I can buy the part though. I might contact Aline Astro and see if I can just buy the Dovetail connector and that way, I could be covered.

But without knowing if the diagonal will tread directly on, then I don't know if there is any point.

Maybe AlpineAstro can check the tread to see if it is T2.

In fact, I preferred the way the Maxbright attached directly to the bino. I am not a huge fan of the quick connector. I get that it may be handy for some things, but I always feel like it might be an accident waiting to happen.

#10 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Eddgie,
I just looked in my eyepiece/Bino case and realized that I have a baader quick release coupling set. Bad news is that the dovetail part that I bought from Alpine astro does not look like the dovetail supplied with the Mark V, although it does have T thread on the body, the entire dovetail is thinner and there is NO internal threading for the GPC to screw to.
Rex

#11 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

Well hopefully Denis will chime in, he was selling a 2" nosepiece replacement that required removing the stock dovetail, so it seems like he should be able to help here. But as I said, I would not be surprised if it is glued into prevent rotation.

#12 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Or knowing how German's assemble things its torqued to 100 lbs.
Rex
:roflmao:

#13 rfr66

rfr66

Sputnik

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

Eddgie,
I spoke with Bob at Alpine Astro about removing the dove tail to gain aperture. He said that there would be no advantage in removing it. The full prism is already exposed to the light path and opening it up further would only expose the edge of the housing.

#14 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

I think you miss the point.

My goal is not to explose more prism, but to shorthen the ltight path by eliminating the dovetail connector so that the binoviwer mounts directly to the diagonal the way the Maxbright does.

Besides that, I just don't like the dovetail connector.

#15 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

Hey Ed, Maybe this new Diagonal from Denk may work for ya, although It does work on a Dovetail system.

Mike

#16 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Dude...Not sure how a 2" diagonal is going to shorten the light path.

The idea is to shorten the light path from 48mm to 38mm, not to go to 108mm.

Using a 2" diagonal on an SCT with binoviewers is usually a prescription for aperture reduction.

#17 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

Ed, That Diagonal DOES shorten the light path, but probably no more than the Dovetail system the Mark V has.
My guess is you're looking for this type of setup shown here with the TV BinoVues.

Mike

#18 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

As compared to other 2" diagonals it shortens the light path, but the light path is still likely to be 60mm to 70mm.

The prism I am using now is only 38mm light path, so to change to the 2" diagonal, even if it could mount directly to the Mk 5 (like the Televue in the link you sent) it would still be much longer than using the diagonal I already have.

#19 rfr66

rfr66

Sputnik

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

Ed,
Here is something else that you can try to shorten the light path if you haven't tried it already. I removed the nosepiece from the T-2 prism diagonal and instead attached a Baader dovetail. I then removed the eyepiece holder from the back of my Meade 8" SCT. Using an adapter, I attached the dovetail from the diagonal directly to the back of the SCT. This effectively shortened the light path by almost the length of the nosepiece. I leave mine setup like this all the time. I have another dovetail on my FCC barlow so I can swap it in out quickly as well.

#20 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

I have the Baader SCT to T2 adpater which is only 15mm.

I don't like it that much though. It works like the old SCT diagonals though, so there is a collar that has to be loosened to rotate the diagonal.

Does the dovetail holding screw offer enough grip to keep the binoviewer from rotating? I am not a fan of the dovetail connector on the binovierer itself, so this would be my only concern here.

I am to the point of blowing it off. I only use the EdgeHD 8" for general viewing, and I am currently at 7.7 inches of apeture, and I guess that is enough.

But again, I may check into the solution you are recommending.

Thanks.

#21 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

I can't find the adapter that would go from SCT thread to the dovetail.

Do you have a part number for it???

I also saw this while looking but this looks like a part for the 2" diagonal and not the T2 diagonal.

Still, I like the concept:

http://agenaastro.co...nal-to-sct.html

#22 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

While looking for the solution you recommended, I could not find a part that would go from the SCT threads to a dovetail, but I did find this, which I think is quite interesting:

SCT Lokcing Ring

Baader sells this part as well:

Utra-short adapter

I could use the locking ring (maybe 3mm or 4mm plus play) and this adapter (10mm) in combination.

It would not make the light path shorter than the SCT to T2 adatper (15mm) but it addresses a major complaint about the SCT to T2 15mm, which is that it looks far easier and more secure to rotate the diagonal. The big collar is a great idea because it allows one to back the ring out to lock against the face of the short connector, allowing for more grip to ensure that the bino doesn't rotate.

As I have said over and over again, this is one of the major advantages of the Baader over other options is that there are so many configuration possibilities.

Still looking for the dovetail connector though. I am not sure I would trust the dovetail to keep the binoviwer diagonal from rotating though....

#23 rfr66

rfr66

Sputnik

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

I never had trouble with the dove tail holding the diagonal. This solution definitely works well and very noticeably widens the field of view. Since you have the adapter already you would just need the extra dovetail. I have another option for you which has the same results but bypasses using a second dovetail. I have a 2" Zeiss prism diagonal, the larger brother of the T2 prism. I remove the nosepiece from it and the threads from the SCT visual back then screw directly into it, a very secure coupling. Since the threads are now actually inside the body of the diagonal, the diagonal is even closer to the visual back than the T2 diagonal with the dovetail connector. So you get a 2" diagonal with a similar light path distance. Your thoughts?

#24 rfr66

rfr66

Sputnik

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

I posted before reading your comments above. That is the other way I tried and it works very well. It would help to eliminate the eyepiece holder and couple the MKV directly to the 2" diagonal. I havent figured that part out yet. Maybe an adapter from precise parts. The part number for the dovetail holder that attaches to the sct to T2 adapter is 2456313.

#25 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

Haven't read this thread through due to time, but AP has an assembly diagram which might be of interest.
http://www.astro-phy...viewer Mark ...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics