Photo

New medium mount choices

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FTLAUDSKY

FTLAUDSKY

Explorer 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

So I am looking for another mount for a new scope. The OTA will be around 20-22lbs. The mount would be used for visual and also for imaging. I know the 50% rule and I am looking for recommendations. Did a ton of research so far and here are my options. I do have a limited budget so keep that in mind. Also I can see Polaris from backyard. Willing to buy used on any of them to save money.

1. CGEM - 40lbs max load - seems low to me, but that is what it's rated - on sale for a few more days. None to have issues (new)
2. CGEM DX - 50 lbs load - seems low as well considering the tripod - on sale for a few more days. Would assume issues are still present as CGEM (new)
3. IEQ45 - would like to get the pier so I have options later to get a longer scope - 45lbs load - seems over rated to me considering the size vs CGEM head (new)
4. Atlas - 40lbs max - seems to get favorable reviews - has the EQMOD (new)
5. CGE - 65lbs max - looks beefy, but is it old technology? Hate buying something that discontinued, but would if it's worth it (used obviously)
6 G11 - 65lbs I think - has a large following - not cheap even used - seems old technology as well - looks great and the build quality seems the best of the bunch (used)
7 Alternatives - ?????

I will primarily use the mount in the backyard. I am younger and in shape so weight is not an issue. I will take it to a dark area when possible, but that will be rarely. I am trying to get CFO approval for a permanent pier, but that is not going over so well. It's not looking good right now, but she is supportive of my new hobby so I can't push my luck. So what do the experts think. I find the medium mount choices sparce considering how many options there are for scopes. Open to suggestions. Thanks in advance for responding!!

#2 kbastro

kbastro

Viking 1

• Loc: Running from Clouds

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

imho;

cgem all versions you take your chance at getting one that works perfect,,, yes there better now but still many lemmons out there...

IEQ45,,, never used one

Atlas/skywatcher.. very good mount consider the GT version

G11 far from old technology with the G2 gemini system and probably is the best of the lot

kb

#3 Wouter D'hoye

Wouter D'hoye

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

If your budget allows the G11 is a top notch mount. Well.. there is better out there but then you come in another price realm too. Actually G11's can be pretty cheap if you'd settle for a non goto version. I like mine a lot. (though I'm considering making a major upgrade) But for a portable quick to set up mount a non goto G11 is a blast. Set it up, use the polar alignment scope to polar align (even good enough for imaging) and you're off to go.

Kind regards,

Wouter.

#4 Mike X.

Mike X.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

I was in the same position you were up to 3 days ago.same mount options,mainly for astrophotography.i would love the Cgem series due to the fact that I come from a cg5 ...though I chose an azeq6gt/ atlas pro.
the cgems are nice mounts but I was not feeling comfortable to risk it with all the reports I read over the past 3 years.

I feel comfortable to recommend ithe azeq6 to you as a safe and new mount, due to the fact that it adopts many characteristics of the proven atlas plus it has some interesting innovations.

It handles my 25-26 lbs setup like a rock.( short otas).

If the budget allows it of course a g11 could handle more payload.

I would avoid the Cgem till celestron comes out with a solution for the motor reduction gears and the clogging issue...but that's only my opinion.

#5 FTLAUDSKY

FTLAUDSKY

Explorer 1

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

I checked out the new Atlas Pro AZ/EQ. Very interesting and seems like you get two setups in one. The G11 was always at the top of the expensive to me list. I currently have an AVX and I like it for smaller scopes. Once I get a larger OTA though I am going to need more payload for sure.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics