•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to mount a 8in SCT to a tripod?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 peregrineflier

peregrineflier

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lost wages, Nevada (las Vegas)

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

Hi, I have an 8in meade sct ota I would like to attach to a heavy duty tripod I have. Any ideas on how to do it?

Thanks

#2 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Soyuz

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

We need some more information. Does you Meade scope have a fork mount and wedge? Or is it only a tube?

Next, tells us more about your tripod. Pics of both would help.

LGM

#3 peregrineflier

peregrineflier

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

I will try to get some pics, but it is just an OTA and my tripod has a big head and a 1/4 20 thread, but it will handle the tube. I think I have a dove tail bar sitting around for it, wondering if there is a dove tail mount that will go on a tripod?

#4 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: VT

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

http://www.optcorp.c...nt-adapter.html

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_ds13.htm

#5 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

I will try to get some pics, but it is just an OTA and my tripod has a big head and a 1/4 20 thread, but it will handle the tube. I think I have a dove tail bar sitting around for it, wondering if there is a dove tail mount that will go on a tripod?

IMNSHO, putting an 8" SCT on a photographic tripod is less than ideal. Think about it, you have all of that mass being held by a single bolt, you cannot balance the OTA, and when you start adding a diagonal, an eyepiece, a finder scope to the mix, you are courting disaster. What's gonna happen when you put the OTA in an attitude where the mass moment arm coinsides with the "Lefty-Loosey" direction?

Do your self a favor and buy a proper mount. Then you have two options: A full length dovetail bar, or a dove tail/ring arrangement.

#6 peregrineflier

peregrineflier

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

Thanks guys. I guess I should of said my Tripod can handle it, and I just want to use it as a spotting scope. : )

IMNSHO, putting an 8" SCT on a photographic tripod is less than ideal. Think about it, you have all of that mass being held by a single bolt, you cannot balance the OTA, and when you start adding a diagonal, an eyepiece, a finder scope to the mix, you are courting disaster. What's gonna happen when you put the OTA in an attitude where the mass moment arm coinsides with the "Lefty-Loosey" direction?

Do your self a favor and buy a proper mount. Then you have two options: A full length dovetail bar, or a dove tail/ring arrangement.

#7 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Thanks guys. I guess I should of said my Tripod can handle it, and I just want to use it as a spotting scope. : )

Even as a spotting scope, an 8: SCT held by one bolt is a potential disaster. If you add a dovetail bar to the OTA and pick up a used altaz mount, you will be better off.

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

Hi, I have an 8in meade sct ota I would like to attach to a heavy duty tripod I have. Any ideas on how to do it?

Thanks

You may think your tripod can handle the C8, but it won't. Not unless it is in the class of a studio tripod for a 35mm Panavision camera. ;)

Generally, there is no worse way to mount a scope than on a camera tripod, and one sufficient for the C8 will cost more than an alt-azimuth mount designed for telescopes.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics