How to mount a 8in SCT to a tripod?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 peregrineflier  Happy Birthday!

peregrineflier

Viking 1

• Loc: Lost wages, Nevada (las Vegas)

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

Hi, I have an 8in meade sct ota I would like to attach to a heavy duty tripod I have. Any ideas on how to do it?

Thanks

#2 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Gemini

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

We need some more information. Does you Meade scope have a fork mount and wedge? Or is it only a tube?

Next, tells us more about your tripod. Pics of both would help.

LGM

#3 peregrineflier  Happy Birthday!

peregrineflier

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

I will try to get some pics, but it is just an OTA and my tripod has a big head and a 1/4 20 thread, but it will handle the tube. I think I have a dove tail bar sitting around for it, wondering if there is a dove tail mount that will go on a tripod?

#4 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

http://www.optcorp.c...nt-adapter.html

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_ds13.htm

#5 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

I will try to get some pics, but it is just an OTA and my tripod has a big head and a 1/4 20 thread, but it will handle the tube. I think I have a dove tail bar sitting around for it, wondering if there is a dove tail mount that will go on a tripod?

IMNSHO, putting an 8" SCT on a photographic tripod is less than ideal. Think about it, you have all of that mass being held by a single bolt, you cannot balance the OTA, and when you start adding a diagonal, an eyepiece, a finder scope to the mix, you are courting disaster. What's gonna happen when you put the OTA in an attitude where the mass moment arm coinsides with the "Lefty-Loosey" direction?

Do your self a favor and buy a proper mount. Then you have two options: A full length dovetail bar, or a dove tail/ring arrangement.

#6 peregrineflier  Happy Birthday!

peregrineflier

Viking 1

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

Thanks guys. I guess I should of said my Tripod can handle it, and I just want to use it as a spotting scope. : )

IMNSHO, putting an 8" SCT on a photographic tripod is less than ideal. Think about it, you have all of that mass being held by a single bolt, you cannot balance the OTA, and when you start adding a diagonal, an eyepiece, a finder scope to the mix, you are courting disaster. What's gonna happen when you put the OTA in an attitude where the mass moment arm coinsides with the "Lefty-Loosey" direction?

Do your self a favor and buy a proper mount. Then you have two options: A full length dovetail bar, or a dove tail/ring arrangement.

#7 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Thanks guys. I guess I should of said my Tripod can handle it, and I just want to use it as a spotting scope. : )

Even as a spotting scope, an 8: SCT held by one bolt is a potential disaster. If you add a dovetail bar to the OTA and pick up a used altaz mount, you will be better off.

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

Hi, I have an 8in meade sct ota I would like to attach to a heavy duty tripod I have. Any ideas on how to do it?

Thanks

You may think your tripod can handle the C8, but it won't. Not unless it is in the class of a studio tripod for a 35mm Panavision camera. ;)

Generally, there is no worse way to mount a scope than on a camera tripod, and one sufficient for the C8 will cost more than an alt-azimuth mount designed for telescopes.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics