Meade ACF Large CO.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

• Loc: New York City

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

Chris -- I have had my telescope in the living room off and on, but to be honest my LX850 is going into an observatory this August.

Then I just look out my window, see the panorama of the mountains with the dome just 30 yards away.

Mounting the OTA is pretty easy. When my son is helping, I grab the end where the ep goes, lifting by the handle, with my other hand/arm wrapped around the base of the tube. My son grabs the dove tail and tube front. We then bring it to the mount, and I just slide it on the LX850 mount and then tighten it up. Pretty easy.

Oh man, you're killing me! Observatory... mountains...

I transport my OTAs in Pacific Design cases, and am always alone during loading, unloading. The 11" Edge comes out of the bag very easily by simply pulling up on that handle. I can't see the inconvenience, but glad it is okay for you.

Thanks, Chris

#27 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

Chris --

There are times where we do want to take the LX850 on the road. I looked at the Pacific Design Cases you mentioned, and they appear to be soft cases. For the OTA don't you need something more robust and solid? What size OTA do you user for those cases? They claim the cases work for 14" OTAs, but I would be nervous. Are they solid inside?? For now I am looking at something used at rock concerts with wheels moving lighting systems and such. The 14" is big.

I can see using it for my tripod for the 10" LX200 (OTA/Fork has a nice Meade case from back in the day).

BTW - even though in more urban area, at 5,500+ feet and humidity usually under 20% observing is quite good at home. Still we sometimes travel to really dark sites.

#28 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

• Loc: New York City

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

Chris --

There are times where we do want to take the LX850 on the road. I looked at the Pacific Design Cases you mentioned, and they appear to be soft cases. For the OTA don't you need something more robust and solid? What size OTA do you user for those cases? They claim the cases work for 14" OTAs, but I would be nervous. Are they solid inside?? For now I am looking at something used at rock concerts with wheels moving lighting systems and such. The 14" is big.

I can see using it for my tripod for the 10" LX200 (OTA/Fork has a nice Meade case from back in the day).

BTW - even though in more urban area, at 5,500+ feet and humidity usually under 20% observing is quite good at home. Still we sometimes travel to really dark sites.

Hi Andrew:

I used an 11" Edge, which fit perfectly in that case. In fact, I have 3 11" cases for mounts and clothes and stuff. They are really comfortable to carry, and very light. You seem to be wanting to transport at distance, and for that, you may want to consider a JMI. I have one for my 12", but keep in mind that the case is heavy by itself. Maybe you could get the soft PD case, and yes, they are padded, but still soft, and just create a secure corner in your vehicle. They are MUCH easier to manage than any hard case.

Thanks, Chris

#29 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• Loc: Long: 81.42 W Lat: 41.21 N

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

Hey guys, as for the finish...if textured bothers you then you might also not want to ever buy a Astro-Physics mount, huh? That piece of logic just doesn't make sense. Believe me, the Meade LX850 OTA delivers one helluva impressive visual stellar image. I too wondered a bit about CO but wow, never again will that bother me! I used a 7mm Nagler eyepiece to tweak the collimation last week, and the airy disk and diffraction rings were sharp and distinct. Then when I focus, the star just sparkled! Pinpoint and brilliant! (Arcturus) With low power eyepieces like my Meade Series 4000 32mm SWA the star fields are very contrasty and pinpoint. Never had that with older LX200 (non-ACF) scopes. This baby is beautiful! :waytogo:

#30 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

Len, sounds like you got a winner there. I own a Meade 12" f/10 ACF OTA that also puts up some excellent visual images..nicer than all the C11's I've previously owned. I have read that the CO in your f/8 M14 is only about 36% by diameter, so it is comparable to the CO in the C9.25. The 36% CO in the C9.25 doesn't seem to hurt that scope's performance either.

Bill

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics