Atlas AZ/EQG -question on star alignment

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

• Loc: Loomis, CA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

While I do not own the subject mount YET, I want get some idea how the operating system for goto works when in al/az mode. Does it use two stars or three stars like the Skycommander does for alt/az? Is polar alignment needed in al/az? Is the firmware in a mature form or still in a beta test mode? I checked the Orion/skywatcher sites and could not find a answer to these questions.

#2 Mike X.

Mike X.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

Hello Mike, i just got this mount and i'm really impressed so far by it.
In AZ mode it gives you 2 options for the goto alingment.
A) Brightest Star
B)2 Star Alingment.
(the first star you point it manually and the rest it points them for you and you refine the pointing)

It's pretty straight forward.

In the EQ mode on the other hand the sofrware is exactly the same with the ATLAS/NEQ6. (1,2,3 star alignment)
The firmware is currently in 3.34 official version but they keep implementing new stuff.
Anyways i am guessing there is going to be a new version soon since with the 3.34 they have disabled the ASPA routine till they make it better i guess.(i hope they release it soon)

I hope i've been of help.

#3 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:17 AM

You can download the Synscan controller manual from the Sky-Watcher site. Honestly, it's all in there.

#4 Skrenlin

Skrenlin

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: North Chicagoland area

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

As of firmware 3.34 (what my AZ/EQG came with), the "Brightest Star" option appears to be identical to "2-star" option as it never gives me the choice of aligning to a planet. At least it doesn't give me Jupiter or Saturn as alignment targets.

For AZ setup, the mount should be set up with (if you are facing North with the mount in front of you) the Mount connections facing you, telescope on the right side, counterweights (or dual saddle) on the left side.

There is no "polar alignment" in AZ as there's no polar wedge option (yet). I'm not at all sure how it would behave if it WERE mounted on a wedge. I may try it, as I have a meade heavy field tripod and superwedge I haven't bothered to try selling yet.

The GOTOs in AZ mode seem to be pretty accurate. It managed to nail the recent PANSTARRS C/2011 L4 comet as a user-entered object after a rough 2-star alignment at an outreach event in the middle of March. My polar mode gotos (the one night I've gotten to try it) seemed to be off (fairly consistently), but I didn't try with the secondary encoders disabled.

#5 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

As of firmware 3.34 (what my AZ/EQG came with), the "Brightest Star" option appears to be identical to "2-star" option as it never gives me the choice of aligning to a planet. At least it doesn't give me Jupiter or Saturn as alignment targets.

It will if they're in the selected "sector" of the sky. At least it does for me in ALT-AZ mode.

#6 Skrenlin

Skrenlin

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: North Chicagoland area

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

At the outreach event I attended on March 18th (first light for my mount), Jupiter was up to the southwest. I tried choosing South, Southwest and West and none of the 3 would let me choose Jupiter. I later (at home, 1 AM CST on March 19th) tried to get it to let me choose Saturn, again choosing the 3 overlapping directions, and again Saturn was never an option. I guess if/when you ARE able to choose a planet as the first alignment, the mount will then ask you for 2 more stars to complete the alignment as apparently planets aren't well suited for alignment targets anyway.

#7 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

• Loc: Loomis, CA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the INFO this helps me decide if I want to buy this mount. I have become a ALT/AZ fan after years of using Dobs and non motorized mounts like the DM-6. I was never a fan of fork mounts due their weight and the fact you have to sell the whole rig if you want to change scopes.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics