• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Steppenwolf323

Steppenwolf323

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

Hi
I have a new Lx200 10"ACF that I bought in January and shipped to Tokyo as I will be working here for awhile.

It has some problems with Automatic Alignment (I haven't even tried other alignment modes yet) in that the GPS time, date, and location is constantly wrong and the OTA is pointing South when it begins star searching. It actually is going in the opposite direction.

I even saved a landmark terrestrial object and after shutting down and sending the OTA back to it, it went in the opposite direction.

My HBX is reading 4.2g.

Please help.

Herbert :bawling:

#2 eliasx1

eliasx1

Sputnik

• Loc: Chicago suburbs

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

Can you describe step by step what the scope is doing? I point the scope north and level it before I tighten the locks. Enter location and time manually and check all of the settings to make sure they are correct.

#3 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:23 AM

I have a Classic LX200 that I am using in China, and the whole "time setting" thing still confuses me. But I looked over my notes and if I am understanding them correctly then you might have success trying one of the following time settings:

1. put the GMT offset as "0" and then set your telescope's Time and Date to 9 hours ahead of your real time there in Tokyo.

.....OR

2. try setting GMT time to "-9"

I believe I am using the first method with success but I don't have my scope set up to double-check right now.

The second method might work as well. Meade has the GMT offsets set up backwards in their LX200 Classic scopes and it is probably the same with their GPS scopes. In Arizona, it should me a GMT offset of "-7" (7 hours behind GMT time) but instead you need to put "+7" into the scope as the GMT Offset. Maybe it works well in reverse as well meaning Tokyo is +9 hours ahead of GMT but instead you need to put "-9" into the scope.

#4 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:09 PM

And this is counter-intuitive as well, but you will need to set your Longitude to 220 15 W instead of the actual 139 45 E where you are located in Tokyo. At least that is what I had to do for the older LX200 Classic model.

A good idea would be to join the Yahoo User's Group for the LX200 telescopes. There is one group just for the Classics, but there is another group that covers the GPS models as well. Also, the Japanese love astronomy so there should be some astronomy clubs in town whose members also have Meade GPS scopes. You might ask around a bit at your workplace. If Japan is like China, the locals love to make friends with the foreigners so they can practice their English :)

#5 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

• Loc: New York City

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

A good idea would be to join the Yahoo User's Group for the LX200 telescopes. There is one group just for the Classics, but there is another group that covers the GPS models as well.

Yeah, those guys live for a challenge like this. It's probably only a setting in a train of settings that have to be correct. I personally have never left the country (or the state) with any of my LX200s so I would be curious as to what it is. Please post the resolution when you get it.

Good luck, Chris

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics