CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What else needed to setup Baader 8-24 for AP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 waterbourn

waterbourn

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

So decided on Orion 80ED scope. At first I just want to do viewing, but eventually want to get a setup for AP. I was thinking for eyepieces I would get the Badder Hyperion 8-24 mkIII and maybe the barlow they make for it. It looks like it has good reviews and would give me any range of magnification I need. But what would I need to hook these up to a nikon d90 and the the scope once I wanted to image?

#2 ibase

ibase

Aurora

• Loc: Manila, Philippines 121°E 14°N

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hi,

You will need the standard DSLR t-adapter and the Baader M43/T-2 adapter for the Mark III zoom. Click below for a previous blog entry that I posted in my blog about how to mate the zoom to a DSLR camera:

http://hyperionzooml...-24mm-zoom-d...

Hope this helps.

Best,

#3 oo_void

oo_void

Viking 1

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

AP is almost never done with an eyepiece. Typically, the camera is used afocal, connected directly to the telescope via T-ring and T2 adapter. The only time I could imagine using an eyepiece on the camera would be for planetary work, but that requires a completely different kind of camera as opposed to a D90.

#4 ibase

ibase

Aurora

• Loc: Manila, Philippines 121°E 14°N

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

Right, but it works very well for bright objects like the Moon which is a favorite one for afocal AP. (Or for terrestrials with zoom.) Sample shot using Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Zoom @ 8mm (48x), WO66mm refractor, and a cheap Kodak digicam:

Posted Image

Best,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics