AstraImage RGB

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

I realized finally why I don't use AstraImage to do RGB combinations. It requires FITS files and I never have those. How does one convert a tiff or png file to FITS? AI itself won't let me save as FITS.

Or am I missing something in the RGB combine section? When I use tiff files, it simply doesn't register.

Thanks.

#2 PiotrM

PiotrM

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

It works for me with TIFF or other format - RGB or LRGB.

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Doesn't for me, though my version is AstraImage3 which I've had for quite a long time now...

But if you apply wavelets in Registax6 after AS!2 then it is simply saving the output of R6 as .fits files - I think it might even be the default mode..! :)

#4 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

Same here, I have 3.0 and no problems combining .tif files into RGB.

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

.....this is bizarre Paul, I know I've occassionally tried this for some unusual situation etc and after reading your post here I used the raw tif stacks out of AS!2 to see if they would work (I'm allways willing to question my own opinions! :grin:)

But "nope!" - you get a black screen in the preview window of RGB combine but there is no image there nor if you click "OK" - I have AstraImage3.0Pro....? :confused:

#6 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

I make FITs in Registax and put those in AstraImage. I've never had it combine TIFs. I don't have the full version of AI.

#7 PiotrM

PiotrM

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:59 AM

Maybe they are of different sizes or something? Or maybe there is some 16 bit vs 8 bit image data handling problem?

#8 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:26 AM

Nope Piotr - I have gone through all those sorts of possibilities...it just won't handle them along with .fits files of more than "1 dimension" but it at least lets me know that it won't handle these particular types of .fits by a pop-up.....very strange indeed!!! :question:

#9 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

Here is something odd I found. If I convert the .tif files to 8 bit and RGB combine them in AstraImage I get a pure white screen. If I leave them as 16 bit .tif files, they combine correctly.

Paul

.....this is bizarre Paul, I know I've occassionally tried this for some unusual situation etc and after reading your post here I used the raw tif stacks out of AS!2 to see if they would work (I'm allways willing to question my own opinions! :grin:)

But "nope!" - you get a black screen in the preview window of RGB combine but there is no image there nor if you click "OK" - I have AstraImage3.0Pro....? :confused:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics