Photo

M51 before and After

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

My first object with my new STF-8300m camera was M51. I previously posted the following image of it.

Attached Files

#2 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

I have been working with the trial version of PixInsight. It is quite a learning curve. I had already reprocessed M-57 and like my new result much more. Today I spent a couple hours reprocessing M-51. This is the result. It is certainly different. At first, honestly I preferred the original. However, the new version is growing on me. They certainly are distinguishable.

Attached Files

#3 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

I like the first version, and looking at it briefly, I think you can boost the saturation and bring more color out in that one. I think the 2nd version has gone a bit blue. Details look good in the galaxy.

#4 kfir Simon

kfir Simon

Vendor-PowerNewt

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:13 AM

I also like the first version - however, you can benefit from both by using Layers and Masks in PS and take the good stuff from the first (Such as the 2 cores,,,) and replace them in the second version...

Cheers,

Kfir

#5 Harel_Boren

Harel_Boren

Vendor-The Boren-Simon PowerNewt Astrograph

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

I like the first version, and looking at it briefly, I think you can boost the saturation and bring more color out in that one. I think the 2nd version has gone a bit blue. Details look good in the galaxy.

I agree. You have a very flexible saturation tool in Pix, and I'd use it on the color version, to later add to lum.

Cheers,
Harel

#6 Markigno

Markigno

Messenger

• -----

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

Hi, the first image is much better. Pixinsight is a very powerful software and I use it for 80% of my processing. However, I find best PS for some basic steps as color balance and selective contrast, using layer masks appropriately positive and negative. These specific tools are very, very powerful. Your images suffer from gradients which must be removed, furthermore are not balanced in the color channels and the sky background should be neutral, but instead has dominant colors. I downloaded and corrected your first image, eliminating gradients, balancing the channels and highlighted the fine detail with layer masks. Also, now, the sky background is neutral, as it should be. Download the image and look at the histogram of the 3 channels as it should be. Keep in mind that this was done only with PS from your JPEG, accordingly with compressed data, therefore not suitable to make a good processing. I hope this can help you in your next processing.
Marco

Attached Files

#7 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

Thanks Marco. Your version if definitely the best of the three. That definitely gives me something to shoot for when I give this another go.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics