• Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:57 AM

Binocular Universe: Let's Play Hydra and Seek

By Phil Harrington

#2 VanJan

VanJan

Ranger 4

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

Binocular observers may also want to take note of an engaging group of stars one degree north and NNW of Nu Hydrae. To me, this charming asterism always put me in mind of a lily plant with Nu as the flower. Appropriate for this spring, :coldday: but not yet SPRING! :flower: time of year. Particularly, this year in the northeast USA. :shrug:

#3 Mike Lynch

Mike Lynch

Ranger 4

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

Ohhhhh, Phil!!

"Play Hydra and Seek...."

You really DO need some Spring or Summer, don't you?! :roflmao:

But it was still a great column, as usual! :grin:

Mike Lynch
Frankfort KY USA

#4 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

Phil, I really enjoyed your article on Hydra. I spent a couple of relaxing evenings in my yard observing the various objects with my 8x56 Oberwerk binos.

Alpha Hydrae was almost too easy for me to find. It's bright yellow/orange color is beautiful. 27 Hydrae was sort of a challenge, not because I couldn't find it, but because it is so wide I wasn't sure I was observing the double. I saw the primary as slightly yellow, but the secondary appeared a dim blue to me. I also found U Hydrae pretty easily. It's intense orange/red color was mesmerizing.

Because of the very heavy light pollution where I live I could only faintly see the Ghost of Jupiter with averted vision, and found it only because I have already observed it. Even though it was faint I could see the distinct teal color.

I couldn't see V Hydrae or NGC 3115 because of the light pollution.

As always, it was an excellent article. :waytogo:

Thanks,
Ed D

ADDED: Had outstanding conditions last night and found V Hydrae. Although it is near its peak the heavy light pollution makes V Hydrae almost impossible to find and observe from my back yard.

#5 Polaris_PL

Polaris_PL

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

Thank you Phil for your new article.

Last month I had opportunity to enjoy a variable star V Hydrae in binoculars. It was a wonderful sight - V Hya has a deep red color, and now is quite bright in both 12x50 and 16x80.

http://www.astronoce..._2013/V_Hya_...

http://www.astronoce..._2013/V_Hya_...

#6 PhilH

PhilH

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:30 AM

Thanks, everyone. Glad you enjoyed the piece -- and the title, right Mike?? :grin: You know me, I always like "cute" titles.

Don't head back north just yet, however. We're going even farther south in May.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics