Photo

University Optics HD Orthos are coming back!

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

Just got a letter in the mail today from University Optics announcing that the HD ortho line is coming back. They are starting with the 6mm and 12.5mm soon followed by other focal lengths later in 2013. These will be made by the same lens maker that supplied the Tani Orthos glass, will be all Japanese made and will be fully multi coated. Interesting news is that they are going to make a 4mm version.

Best news is.....price will be $100!

#2 catboat

catboat

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

Great to see there're coming back. I still have some HD focal lengths to fill out.

And even better news to learn that UO is still in the game!

#3 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville, VA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

April Fools is Monday..............

#4 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

I hope it's true... Just had an amazing view of Jupiter in the XT8i last night due to the rare night of great seeing with the UO HD 12 + TV 2x for 200x! Great EP IMO.

#5 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

I'm ready. The Japanese ortho suppliers have been dancing around a bit lately as has the yen. Lower prices may be a result of the latter. I expect that these will come from the same source as the Hutech/Kasai and the highly regarded BGO marks. Bring 'em on.

#6 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

At that price they would undercut the Kasais by a fair bit.

#7 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

A couple more interesting points....they are claiming that these HD's will be the only current orthos "made completely" in Japan. I am wondering about that phrasing. Are the Hutech's/Kasai's made in Japan? Or is some of it being outsourced?

Second, they are touting that these will have a superior polish on the lens and better multi coatings.

I am wondering based on the price if these have no relation to the Hutech/Kasai offerings. If they are the same, then how is UO offering these at a substantial discount?

#8 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

I had an e-mail exchange recently with Manish at Agena regarding the Kasai orthos. He said they would be rebranded Hutech with a new color and a lower price. The yen has taken a bit of a beating lately. They are expected soon but, as we all know, delivery dates are often speculative. Let's hope... I too am excited that UO is still in the game.

#9 catboat

catboat

Viking 1

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

Second, they are touting that these will have a superior polish on the lens and better multi coatings.

Mark,

Is there any context for this claim? Superior polish and coatings compared to… ?

#10 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Mark,

Is there any context for this claim? Superior polish and coatings compared to… ?

The wording is "all air to glass surfaces have the latest Japanese broadband multi-layer coatings with light loss at less than 0.2% per surface." It also says the multi coated optics "represents an uptick in quality and performance." Then they mention the polish by saying "the superb lens polish virtually eliminates the the sleeks and pits found in a number of more expensive occulars. Light scatter is at a minimum and contrast increased." Regarding the performance of these new HD and a mention of Zeiss "an experienced observer can tell no visual difference between these University H.D. orthos and similiar designs costing many times more".

#11 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

Where do they fit in the top 10 Ortho list?

#12 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Apollo

• Loc: S.E.Michigan near DTW

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

The "wording & claims" :question: is very similar to BGO when they 1st came out a few years ago.

Jim :dob:

#13 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

Maybe the "experienced observer" forgot to put on his glasses before observing. :whistle:

- Jim

#14 catboat

catboat

Viking 1

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:14 AM

Maybe the "experienced observer" forgot to put on his glasses before observing. :whistle:

- Jim

Ouch! That's my nostalgia bubble! Time was when I didn't need glasses and UO oculars were the *expensive* ones. Sweet ignorance… :gramps:

#15 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

It would be very nice if UO specified no safety undercut barrels with this run.

#16 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:41 AM

Perhaps this will put an end to the ridiculous prices people have been asking AND paying for these lately in the classifieds. I couldn't understand it since it has been known that they are coming back to the market, we just didn't know if it was gonna be a week or a few more months.

#17 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Ranger 4

• Loc: Little Red Dot

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:32 AM

Hope its not the dreaded April Fools hogwash. I need them to complete the series...

#18 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Apollo

• Loc: S.E.Michigan near DTW

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

Post deleted by JIMZ7

#19 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

the undercuts are a "value added product" and I don't see them going away. Why not buy a smooth barrel from surplus shed if they aren't upon release.

BTW, first light optics got n initial shipment in of the 5mm reportedly.

#20 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

I find it hard to understand how it was known for ages that the BGOs were goint out of production and people didnt buy when they had the chance. At the rumour of the Circle Ts maybe going I jumped in and bought all I needed.

As to the Kasais or UOs they are not much use if you need a BGO to complete a set or want the EP now and in fairness manufacturers are always saying a new peoduct will be here in a few weeks which often translates as to something like a year or maybe not at a spec/price you want or maybe never at all......

When the BGO s were around much was written about their semi magical Phantom coatings and how these made them so much better....maybe thats why people will pay more for them than they will for the replacements without the Phantom coatings. The BGOs were also smoothsided and that seems to have value to some people.

For me its not a worry, I have a full set of BGOs minus the 12.5 which I sold when somone was willing to pay over the odds. I will sell the rest if the market hits a point where it will pay £100 per eyepiece. The cost is the cost its whatver the market will bear and what people will pay. For me its also about what they are worth to me, at less than £100 I would rather keep them even though I never use them. At £100 theres enough cash on the table to make me let go of them and of late I am minded to unload on the other hand I want to see if the markeyt will pay even more later on. I can afford to wait and the EPs wont go under what I paid for them so its safe cash to me. With the bank paying zip on savings the ROI is better on glass I reckon.

#21 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

It's just possible that there is some sort of "name game" going on with these coatings. I wonder if there is any significant difference with these orthos that are of essentially the same design/source. A marketing "phantom" in the works?

#22 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

Interesting news is that they are going to make a 4mm version.

It would be MUCH more interesting if they were making a 25mm!

9, 12.5, 18 and 25mm would be very nice in the Baader Q-Turret, and with the integral x2.25 Q-Barlow 11, 8, 5.6, 4 mm would make an awesome planetary/double star set.

#23 rgm40

rgm40

Messenger

• Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

Not trying to be critical or disrespectful, but if true, wonder why U.O. has not announced this on their web page?

#24 Deep13

Deep13

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

I'm going to go ahead and be critical. I don't believe it. If the factories were damaged by the tsunami and that is the reason for stopping production--that and flagging sales--then why restart production on these alone? The old bullet-shaped models have always sold better than the HDs. Why not bring those back instead? What has changed between "we're finished" and now? And as rgm40 mentions, why is the only announcement effectively a rumor from inside information?

Thanks. :confused:

#25 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

Hutech and now UO are saying these are being produced again. OPT and First Light Optics mention them being available again in the future (Hutech branded). I will withold judgement for now, and keep my fingers crossed these reports are accurate. With a Lecia ASPH on order, I doubt I would really need these except for my vintage refractors but I really did like my BGO set. If an UO branded set is forthcoming, I imagine I will go ahead and work on a set while I instigate for a 25mm version to be added to the line up.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics