Photo

University Optics HD Orthos are coming back!

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 Alvin Huey

Alvin Huey

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Greater Sacramento region

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:35 AM

every reviewer has said the BCOs use newer, superior coatings than the original BGOs.

And you need to ask yourself how would someone writing a review really know this unless they were just repeating some marketing gibberish? The best one could do is say that they measured the transmission and speculate as to why they might be different. It could be true but how would anyone in our position really be able to know that and state it as fact?

I have the 10 and 6mm BCO for testing purposes. I still haven't taken them out to dark skies yet...to validate them. The BCOs seems good so far

I also got the Barlow...I'm not so confident of it so far. I hope it is just a bad copy.

I used them with my 22" f/4 reflector, Tak TOA150 6" and 4" f/11 achromat in my front yard just looking at stars.

I need more time before I pass judgement on these eyepieces.

#52 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

Given Kasai are going back into production I wonder why Baader dont reintroduce the BGOs.

I do wonder though if this love affair with orthos will last to keep them in production or whether after the huffing and puffing no one will buy and theybwill once again be taken away. That would be shame I think.

#53 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

That could well happen. It seems that most amateurs today are more interested in wider and wider fields of view, better corrected edge of field and longer eye relief than a subtley sharper and more contrasty image.

Mike

#54 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

Manish has posted an update on the Hutech/Kasai line. I'm afraid it's more a matter of "no news" rather than "good news". Here's a link:
http://agenaastro.co...piece-12mm.html

#55 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Vanguard

• Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

Well then, there's only one thing to do. Jim Barnett, PJ Anway, and Bill Paolini, as the upholders of genuine Abbe Ortho integrity need to each take 6mm BCO, BGO, a volcano top and perhaps a Brandon for standardization's sake to the skies for a genuine OK Corral shootout. I'm talking no holds barred, all guns blazing. Till the last ep is left standing. Well, at least the last ortho with the Brandon. The Cloudy Nights midnight cowboys are a waiting.

#56 Deep13

Deep13

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:59 AM

Now, I realize they're not made in Japan, but a lot of excellent TeleVue product is coming out of Taiwan these days.

Are the BCOs from that factory? or from Taiwan at all?

#57 Schaden

Schaden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sonoran Desert

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

I thought BCO was from mainland China?

#58 t.r.

t.r.

Aurora

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

I'm in for the full set. Regretted not getting them before they were discontinued. They will compliment my Brandons well. Too bad they didn't go with the volcano top, that would increase sales IMHO. I may have to do a couple doubles for the binoviewer as well. :thinking:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics