Photo

Celestron AVX slewing problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Telaeus

Telaeus

Sputnik

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

Hey folks. I think I may have a defective mount, but I wanted to check here to see what people think. I've never owned a tracking mount before and want to make sure I'm not messing anything up.

I followed the instructions as far as setting up the mount, mounting the OTA, balancing, etc. When I get to the alignment phase, I set everything up, pointed north, etc... then selected two-star alignment.

No matter what star I select, it slews "sideways" (whatever the technical term would be - as if using the left/right slew arrows), and then stops. It never moves as if the north/south slew buttons were used. It sits there saying it's slewing to whatever star I tried. Also, manually using the slewing buttons works east/west but not north/south. Not even motor noise.

I do see the buttons are registering that I'm pushing them (it seems to display the motor speed in the top right when you push them).

Bad mount, or is there anything I could be doing wrong that wouldn't let me manually slew north/south or even have motor noise?

Thanks.

Telaeus

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

Is it possible that you forgot to install the dec motor cable?

#3 Telaeus

Telaeus

Sputnik

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

You see... that's why I decided to write here. Because I know enough to know I screw up sometimes. Next time I'll try it with the cable installed. lol.

Thanks!

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

You see... that's why I decided to write here. Because I know enough to know I screw up sometimes. Next time I'll try it with the cable installed. lol.

Thanks!

I'm glad that's all it was. Bear in mind that much of the time, when we know an easy operator-error answer, it's because we have done it ourselves! ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics