• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rgconner

rgconner

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento, CA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

I haven't posted it until now, mainly because I could not say much other than "hey, I ordered a Dob".

But, Dennis sent me pictures, which was pretty darn nice since I did not ask him, he just sent them!

This is my first "real" scope since High School where I had access to a 70s C8 that belonged to a family friend. I was allowed to use it while he was oversees and I "Scope sat" it for him. He and his two sons had been trained to use it since we could reach the eyepieces and he left it with my family, fearing his ex-wife would sell it...
(I found out later he put the GOOD eyepieces in his safety deposit boxes, I had the ones that came with it)

I have drooled over a Tele-Kit for at least 15 years, but getting married, buying a house, having a kid... you know, life, got in the way.

A recent bit of good fortune and I had the means to get the scope I have always wanted, or at least close to it. While a Tele-Kit was out of budget, I had enough of an idea of what I wanted to research a suitable compromise.

Dennis talked with me for a long time, asking me lots of questions and giving options where to spend my dollars for the best value. I felt very comfortable ordering from him and I cannot wait for it to be ready for first light. (Dennis kindly offered to show me around the scope in person if I came to pick it up, which I am definitely going to do!0

The new scope it is based around a recoated set of 13.1 Coultier mirrors with the Discovery curved vanes. He is mounting a SkyCommander for me and making it a "Easy Transport" version that will break down into smaller sections.

Pictures of the 9 point mount and the mirror box:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

An example of what the finished scope will look like, with minor accessory differences:

Posted Image

#2 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:33 AM

Congrats, I have the 10 inch version of your scope and really enjoy it.

#3 tezster

tezster

Viking 1

• Loc: Missisauga, Canada

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

Nice photos - it's nifty seeing how the 'mirror box' gets put together.

Dennis offers wonderful scopes that allow those of us on a somewhat lesser budget to afford a premium quality structure, along with a choice of optics and other accessories. You really do feel that you're getting your money's worth working with him as the scope is getting built.

#4 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

A very nice looking telescope. Congratulations.
If it makes you feel any better, your scope is much much lighter in weight than the Telekit you lusted after. Telekits, though very sturdy, are very heavy for their aperture. Your mirror is likely to cool faster as well because of the good ventilation and reduced mass surrounding it. I would recommend painting the wood behind the primary mirror flat black. It could improve contrast for you.

#5 rgconner

rgconner

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento, CA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

I did not feel bad about passing on the Tele-kit per se. 15 years ago these lighter weight Dobs just did not seem to exist, or at least were harder to locate.

Besides, the savings will let me invest more in the eyepieces.

#6 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

I love my 14" with a Zambuto in it. I have had to make a few adjustments that I need to post on when I have time (I've been swamped with personal and work things for the last 2 weeks). I made a counterweight out of 1 inch PVC pipe, BB's filled to the rim and capped and attached on the mirror cell on the tube opposite the focuser. The motions were great save on item. In the cold, and yes, its cold in Utah even in the summer, there is an initial stiction that makes the scope hard to move in azmuith from a standstill. I found the pads were too large and the psi needed adjustment so I changed the size of the round teflon on the bottom wear they contact the glass board and it fixed the issue. I also posted on my blog if you do the wires to hold collimation to get some break cable ends and use them to seal off the ends of the wires or they will poke and they hurt. I finally lowered the height of the scope by lower where the bearings attach and drilling a new hole on each side. Before at zenith I was needing a slight foot stool or my observing chair I made. Now, I can stand on two feet (could always sit). Again, not a negative to the scope or Dennis, this was me easily adapting the design for what I want and Dennis' design makes this easy to do. Outstanding product, outstanding communication, excellent follow up service.

#7 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

The good thing about dobs and that includes the ones from Dennis is that they can be modded and tweeked to ones own requirements. My 10" arrived last year and its not got any use due to health reasons however I have been able to do a few modifications,however I hope? to put it to good use this year,DA.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics