• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chaz659

Chaz659

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Islip, NY

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

So tonight was finally clear and above freezing. I set out to learn the Auto 2 Star Alignment method. Well, it was quick, simple and fairly accurate for a first try.

Initially I sought out M42 and it was close to centered, went from a 32mm, to the 25 and then added the 2X Barlow. Nice view, very pleased.

After that I typed in Jupiter and bang. Almost dead center again. I tested the tracking, 20 minutes and still centered. 45 minutes, still centered. It tracked very well for nearly 2 hours. Finally my girlfriend came home. I shut it off and started it up again so she could learn the aligment method. She picked it up quickly, successfully aligned on the first try. Now it was after 1:00 am so she chose Saturn. We had never seen it before. It slewed almost perfectly to the target, she focussed and just said, "WOW!!!". Amazing. We're loving this scope so far.

#2 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

And one look at Saturn is enough to get your money's worth. Well done and hope you enjoy many more nights together.

#3 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

Sounds like you had a great evening of observing! Two of my favorite objects :grin: Saturn has a way of wowing :bow: Nice report.... Tony

#4 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

Hi Chaz:

Nice report! Sounds like you're hooked! ;)

-Dan

#5 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Sounds like an excellent session!

#6 Chaz659

Chaz659

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

Oh we're definitely hooked. Now my hope is, as she uses it more, maybe my girlfriend will get the aperture fever I'm already experiencing. LOL

#7 butsam

butsam

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Great session report!!! :) Saturn is always impressive, but especially so around this time (opposition is less than a month away).

I have clouds here the last couple of days, but if the nearly-full Moon is still near Saturn like it was earlier in the week, you will be even more impressed once the Moon and Saturn are further apart, and the Moon is not as illuminated. Well, for Saturn itself it doesn't matter as much -- but some of the moons of Saturn may also show up without a nearly-full Moon.

On Thursday, Saturn was near the (basically) full Moon, and I could still see Titan and Rhea (plus *very* faintly and only occasionally also Tethys, using averted vision) with an 8" in suburbia, shortly after Saturn-rise (through a significant amount of atmosphere, in other words). Not sure what the 127 is (127 mm, or ~5 inch?), but I would guess that you can probably get Titan and Rhea if you look in more favorable conditions (no full moon, longer after Saturn-rise, darker sky). Of course, the main attraction will always be the rings, though, and rightfully so :) Glad you had a great time; I wish you many more!

#8 Chaz659

Chaz659

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

<Not sure what the 127 is (127 mm, or ~5 inch?)> The 127 is a 127 SLT, 127mm aperture Mak Cass. Great little grab and go so far. On another note, sounds like the Neximage 5 is working well for you. Please post some pics when you can.

#9 butsam

butsam

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

Thank you :) Yes, with that beauty I think you probably will get a couple of moons of Saturn as well...Titan almost certainly, possibly also Rhea.

Thank you for the compliment on the NexImage 5 :) I hope to soon get Saturn (probably sometime in the next week or so), and probably Wednesday the IO transit (hopefully, if clouds stay away). It finally is starting to get decent outside again (ie, fewer clouds), I'm excited to get some more images taken, now that the snowstorm is gone and the rain we have today is hopefully moving along :) I did get Saturn last Thursday with the 'scope, but not with the NexImage 5; that was just a quick one to impress the kids. Next time I get Saturn, it will be with the NexImage :) I also need to get the obvious Moon target with the NexImage 5... :)

#10 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

I bought a 127 SLT Mak, First thing I did was junk the tripod WAY too Flimsy, possibly good for a C90.
I replaced the red dot finder with a Celestron 8x50,
The red dot front reflection plate is so dark only the brightest Stars are impossible.
Optics are fantastic and the scope has become my Grab and Go. favorite.

#11 JeffreyHorne

JeffreyHorne

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:41 AM

So amazing, Chaz. My father (TennDon here on the forums) let me see Saturn through his C8 when I was probably 5 years old...been hooked ever since.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics