Photo

Some Re-processed Film Scans: 3. Comet 17P/Holmes.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PaulEK

PaulEK

Viking 1

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:36 AM

Last one for now. I may get to more of them, but most are on another drive and/or a DVD, so it will have to wait. Again, you can find larger versions and more information at my website. (Just scroll down past the intro, and click through on the images to the largest settings.)

Attached Files

#2 Michal1

Michal1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Hi Paul! Good photos! I like especially this one. What film, lens, scanner, etc. did you use to make it? It is nicely colourful and smooth.

#3 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

• Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

Nice work Paul... :like:

#4 PaulEK

PaulEK

Viking 1

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Thanks for the comments!

Michal1, you got me to go searching through my boxes of film. This was taken on Fuji Provia 400x, with a Nikon F and a 180mm f/2.8 ED Nikkor AIS lens (probably set at f/4). Judging be the angular dimensions, I also used my 1.4x converter. I don't recall if it was scanned with a Nikon 5000, or if my brother-in-law had bought the Nikon Coolscan 9000 medium format scanner yet. As you can probably tell, I don't keep very good records!

I went out a couple of more times to image this comet; once when it was right next to Mirfak (and much larger and dimmer), and again when it was very dim and large, and near M34. I used the same setup for the shot near Mirfak that I used for this photo (and I'm including a crop of that second shot, a grayscale version of which appears in the book. The cropping shows the flaws in my manual guiding.) The M34 image was taken with my Mamiya 645, and I don't have access to a scan of it, but I do have the slide, also on 400x, and it looks quite good.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics