• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ebeyonder

ebeyonder

Mariner 2

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Hi all,

I have a problem with my ETX90 and would be very grateful for any advice.

My ETX90 is an old model, not the newer ones with the red dot finder. After I put the scope into 'home' position and select 'easy align', the scope attempts to slew to Sirius. However, the scope then raises from its horizontal position to almost vertical. Now it tries to go beyond the forks but the finderscope bracket blocks it, leading to a stall.

This is very odd because Sirius is certainly not overhead; it is in fact quite low in the west at this time. I checked to make sure my time, date, location settings, etc, are all accurate. When I turned on the scope again and tried to slew to Jupiter without alignment, it tells me it hasn't risen despite it being quite low in the west...

So something tells me that there's something wrong with the software... I then thought maybe for some reason the firmware doesn't cover 2013, so I randomly entered a date, 2003, around the same month and date, but it also does the vertical slewing thing.

One thing I had done before is that I had the OTA deforked in exchange for a newer one. But I think it had worked after the change.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

#2 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

Maybe double-check the model number in the configuration is set correctly.

#3 ETXer

ETXer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rockville, MD USA

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

I would start over from the very beginning as if you're starting up the scope for the first time, re-inputting the model number and your location. Then go through the whole drive training routine from the beginning and then the alignment. It seems for me, nine times out of ten, once I re-train the drives, it solves the problem.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics