Another Losmandy G11-gemini 2 question.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

• Loc: Loomis, CA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Can the Losmandy G11 gemini2 be used like the digital drive. Just set the tracking speed loosen the clutches and just push the scope to your target tighten the clutches, track and view. I do more planetary viewing and imaging than DSOs. I do not need alignment to do this. Will this action damage the gemini 2?

#2 Dan Finnerty

Dan Finnerty

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

Can the Losmandy G11 gemini2 be used like the digital drive. Just set the tracking speed loosen the clutches and just push the scope to your target tighten the clutches, track and view. I do more planetary viewing and imaging than DSOs. I do not need alignment to do this. Will this action damage the gemini 2?

The clutches are designed to slip. Don't overtighten as you described and you will be fine.

I was doing exactly that last night. Too lazy to align, M42 was getting close to setting behind the house so I needed to act quickly. I located Jupiter, synced on it and slewed to M42. Not quite in the center but close enough. I was surprised how close objects came to being centered with only that one sync. And that was with a C11 and 20 to 40mm eyepieces. Tracking was fine. A small recenter adjustment every few minutes was all that was needed.

If you use a polar scope and get reasonably close, and don't expect perfection, tracking works fine. Even goto's work ok if you use longer eyepieces.

#3 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Mike, This was answered to my satisfaction on my " Losmandy G11-gemini 2 question" thread and on the Yahoo " Gemini 2 " group. All responders including Rene concurred it will work and the only issue is that after a few hours the Gemini will hit a limit and have to be reset in the CWD position and restarted again (or have the limits changed in the software to avoid this) either way a condition which I can live with as 121 deg of movement should give about 8 hours of operation before a limit is encountered.
Rex

#4 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

• Loc: Loomis, CA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

Thanks, this answers my questions. I had put the mount on the sales list thinking it would not work the way I wanted to use it. I will remove it. I really do not want take the $$$ hit to give it away. I have had the mount for awhile and did not use it since my eyes needed to recover from surgery---now 20/20 again and the weather has been rather cloudy.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics