• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

I am new to sketching here is my first try at M42. I need to practice but I am still enjoying it.
I sketched with my 8 inch dob with a 24mm Panoptic.

Ken

Attached Files

#2 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

Ahhhh, very good for a first try. You will love going back to it because it invites discovery in so many ways. And, it's a nice early evening Western object.

#3 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castelnovo ne' Monti, Italy

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:49 AM

First try? Are you serious??? Your sketch is just beautiful! It's got a lot of "life" or... hmmm... difficult to find a good word for it... dynamicity. I love it!

Peter

#4 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

Thank You for the kind words Roland and Peter. I was seeing so much nebulosity especially on the one side of the trapezium. I was trying to capture it without going overboard.

Orion is such a beautiful object.

Ken

#5 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

Ken,

Very good 1st try of M-42 :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#6 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Very nice first try , perhaps include it within a circle to give it context. 8 inch dobs are so so good !
Dee

#7 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Thanks You Tom and Dee.

Dee I will have to add a circle going forward. I have to be careful not to smear the white pastel. It gets messy with my hands while drawing. Perhaps I should add the circle(eyepiece view) as the ending.

Thanks for the tips.

Ken

#8 JeanB

JeanB

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

That's an impressive first try indeed!

I tried to sketch M42 (the trapezium) once but the result was terrible.

Jean

#9 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

I always do the circle first , using a white gel pen.
Then because the paper is never black enough for me , I use the blackest pastel in the box to make the circle black.
That leaves me with a very black circle with a white rim on a grey page. Then I seal it with matt varnish spray.
It is then ready for my drawing on top. If I am in the mood and the seeing is good, my circle might be a dinner plate size. If I want a compact but still detailed drawing my circle for M42 could be a CD size circle.

If I am drawing the sun in h aplha my circle is usually side plate size and yes I use my delph for circles.

When the drawing is finished I take a high res photo of it before sealing it with a light spray of matt varnish. If you use the spray before you take a photo you risk blowing some of the pastel away.

Circles give the viewer a look through your telescope.
With comets in particular , circles help give both the viewer and the sketcher a clear sequence over time of changes that occur in the life/shape/ structure of the object.

With M42 most likely nothing will change except the seeing , sharp one night , dull the next. Or the eyepiece /scope you use. However you never know a iridium flare, or a meteor might enter your fov and what a great inclusion that would be. :-)

Dee

#10 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

Thanks Jean and Dee.

Dee I will take your advice. I wasn't sure you could spray prior to sketching. I am learning as I go. I had some great views last night and had some great blueish greens.

Thanks again for the tips.

Ken

#11 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

I have yet to develop the guts to share my sketches. you are doing fine. The more you sketch, the more you see. Keep this sketch to compare other sketches and you will see the progress develop right before your eyes.

gl and have fun!

#12 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

Ken,

You started off running. I think you picked a formidable target for a first sketch and succeeded in capturing it extremely well. The trapezium and nebulosity around it look great.
You have received some fine advice from Dee, but hurry the Orion nebula will not be high in the sky much longer this spring.

Frank :)

#13 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

Thank You Buddy and Frank.

I was able to view the comet last night at my club but didn't have anything to sketch with. I saw a nice tail and was happy to see it. I notice I take more time viewing since I started sketching. It makes you look deeper at the object and you get more detail.

I always marvel at the beautiful sketches in this forum.

Clear Skies

Ken

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics