Brandon News

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 RodgerHouTex

RodgerHouTex

Apollo

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Oh I forgot, I did spring for the 48mm and the Dakin barlow also.

#52 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

The eyepieces need US made parts because most of them are sold to the military. A few years ago Don told me that the only part he could not find in the USA was the rubber eye cup.

#53 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Others may remember this better than I, but for many years Don would go to Stellafane (which does not allow commercial vendors) just to sit around at Hartness House ( web page ) with a display of for sale eyepieces, etc.

#54 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

A modern 4mm would be a nice addition, although I don't want for anything now. The 6-32mm set with a Dakin pretty much covers all the bases.

#55 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

4mm to 48mm with a Dakin here. I'd love to have a modern 4mm. Mine is a Chester-built lens group in a Vernonscope housing. It's nice for the sake of "completeness" from a collector standpoint, but it ain't up to snuff optically compared to the Vernonscope glassed units.

As for having to manufacture in the USA because government agencies are buying, that kind of went out the window in the late 90s, early 2000s. It was causing agencies to overpay for basic goods (because they couldn't buy a better priced foreign-made alternative), and as budgets got crunched the Buy American Act weakened. NASA doesn't use Questars anymore, for example. They used Chinese made Celestron spotters like the C5 on shuttle missions instead. Also to earn the designation "Made in the USA" every component (and not even all major, important components) need to be made here. Televue refractors, for example, feature a "proudly made in the USA" sticker, but the optics, arguably the most important component, are manufactured by a company called Lenspro in Japan. I doubt that whoever is making Brandons is obligated to source every part from within the US in order to retain government business.

Regards,

Jim

#56 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

4mm to 48mm with a Dakin here. I'd love to have a modern 4mm. Mine is a Chester-built lens group in a Vernonscope housing. It's nice for the sake of "completeness" from a collector standpoint, but it ain't up to snuff optically compared to the Vernonscope glassed units.

Ditto here. I've always wished Don had put out his own 4mm; but he said it was too hard to assemble the darned things, and the spacers were hard to get made correctly. My 4mm doesn't see much action anyway.

As for having to manufacture in the USA because government agencies are buying, that kind of went out the window in the late 90s, early 2000s. It was causing agencies to overpay for basic goods (because they couldn't buy a better priced foreign-made alternative), and as budgets got crunched the Buy American Act weakened. NASA doesn't use Questars anymore, for example. They used Chinese made Celestron spotters like the C5 on shuttle missions instead. Also to earn the designation "Made in the USA" every component (and not even all major, important components) need to be made here. Televue refractors, for example, feature a "proudly made in the USA" sticker, but the optics, arguably the most important component, are manufactured by a company called Lenspro in Japan. I doubt that whoever is making Brandons is obligated to source every part from within the US in order to retain government business.

But Don has always made it a principle that the Brandons be entirely a product of the USA. I don't know about the rubber eye cups; but a lot of folks like the cupless models anyway.

And, again, I don't think Don is closing shop; just selling the Brandon part. I wonder if the new owners will continue putting out those superb diagonals and binoviewers?

#57 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

And, again, I don't think Don is closing shop; just selling the Brandon part. I wonder if the new owners will continue putting out those superb diagonals and binoviewers?

The former VERNONscope ‘yellow building’ in Candor NY is emptied out, with signs removed. At NEAF Don was at the ‘Yeier Optics’ booth selling antique stuff, while the new owners were in the ‘VERNONscope’ booth, with *all* current VERNONscope products on display. Don recently (last week or so) told a mutual friend that he was interested in buying/selling used VERNONscope products, including Brandon eyepieces. Other than that, it seems to me that very soon Yeier will have severed all connection with VERNONscope and its products.

#58 Ed Kessler

Ed Kessler

Apollo

• Loc: Millersburg, PA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

I picked up two complete sets, a 6mm and a binoviewer this winter.

Smart me! :cool:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics